Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, figworthy said:

I recall reading something a few years back (in Old Glory ?) about a steel works in Sheffield that had swapped (but not scrapped) some steam wagons for diesels lorries for internal use.  After a while they went back to the steam wagons as the lorries weren't up to the job (chassis problems I think).  I think that was in the 60s.

I think the diesels were some recovered from Germany after WW II.  They turn up at Steam Fairs from time to time.

Adrian

I am alway frustrated at the lack of quality colour hardback books of working or stored road Locomotive from the 60's, good pictures appear in Old Glory including the Sheffield Steel works, rollers still at work etc. but never found a coffee table quality book showing them.

Railway books never a problem, plenty to choose from

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, John Besley said:

I am alway frustrated at the lack of quality colour hardback books of working or stored road Locomotive from the 60's, good pictures appear in Old Glory including the Sheffield Steel works, rollers still at work etc. but never found a coffee table quality book showing them.

Railway books never a problem, plenty to choose from

Lobby Old Glory magazine then. Two things might happen…. They might point you in the direction of said book, or your lobbying might convince them to publish one…

Good luck

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, KNP said:

More work on PW train formation….

This must one of the strangest looking wagons I have built….

I present to you the sleeper wagon!

3B645533-20C7-4ED6-BD67-1E36C2DED6FA.jpeg.ab7c2d65b440effcb32db88fc344ec94.jpeg

It will be loaded with sleepers when painted…

Next one to think about is a rail carrying wagon like a Macaw or similar!

I too am in the middle of building one of these. (Picked it up for the princely

sum of £3 last Summer). But I'm doing the later taunton concrete version.

Trying to work out how to fit couplings,  any suggestion?

Cheers

TONY

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Mulgabill said:

I too am in the middle of building one of these. (Picked it up for the princely

sum of £3 last Summer). But I'm doing the later taunton concrete version.

Trying to work out how to fit couplings,  any suggestion?

Cheers

TONY

I have fitted S & W coupling to it and they can just be seen in the picture.

Did you want me to picture the underside to see how I did it?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, KNP said:

Did you want me to picture the underside to see how I did it?

That's a bit risqué.

Would that be in keeping with the general tone of LM?

• Funny 4

In reply to Mulgabill's question I thought I might as well post some pictures as you never know someone might find them interesting or even useful.

All my wagons have the Sprat & Winkle fittings fitted in the same way.

The first picture is head on and you can see the plasticard columns (behind the buffers) to act as packing pieces for the S&W to be mounted at the correct height and this also allows the fitting wire room to move that holds the coupling fret and the mounting plate together.

I have made a height gauge template that I put on the rail head and to the underside of the plasticard column to make sure they are all to the same height.

4026.jpg.550c353abb08414099fc9d60958b187b.jpg

The next one shows a more general view of the coupling assembly, note the cut out in the mounting plate to clear the wheels ( this can vary from model to model) and the slight bend in the coupling paddle to clear the axle.

4027.jpg.b0cfefa6691469500fa9d1409ffa09ab.jpg

A view from the other side

4028.jpg.6a22d42168a8d1f81bd93ac39d9d0fa1.jpg

And yes they are glued because me and a soldiering iron don't really get on!!!

I have found that if you rough up the area to be glued with sandpaper (or similar) then the glue holds fine.

There is a cross bar to fitted between the frames but that was left off for clarity in these pictures. It is now fitted.

Please do not ask for any more pictures as it is to late as the wagon has now been painted BlackGrey.....!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

B

23 minutes ago, KNP said:

Please do not ask for any more pictures as it is to late as the wagon has now been painted BlackGrey.....!

Shouldn't it be chocolate and cream?   :jester:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, KNP said:

Work continuing on the sinister wagon….

Sleepers being added by what with the cut out holes????

D66792E6-9AC1-4B2C-BDEE-D8ED70278DCD.jpeg.057c66b8a665e1f0902872d82ab5785e.jpeg

Now I see

70464DFA-EA91-4253-8FE0-8989295B58C9.jpeg.e12979c42b73b3941f62dd172708daa6.jpeg

Lead smuggling, very rife in these parts!!

Wagon very light even with the brass couplings fitted so weight needed but where to put it??

In the load of course hidden from view…,,

I’m thinking that’s a delivery of cannonballs for use by the vessels which patrol Little Muddles coastal waters to keep them free of Pirates and other such ne’er do wells. 

The last shipment was apparently sent in a crate by lorry, but hasn’t been heard of since leaving the foundry. Rail transit is seen as a more reliable delivery method. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
On 19/01/2022 at 07:19, KNP said:

Let’s get down low to Snowflake

7866BA4A-2EDC-4482-8111-6166CF38CEDC.jpeg.b237b01b6b73b5f4778191836f7cafc0.jpeg

Must decide two things for this boat….

Crew

Dingy

Hi Kevin, loving the recent photos - the removable buildings are a great idea which made me think...

You previously mentioned that the reason the mooring lines were missing was that you needed to remove the boats in between photos so they don't get damaged. Well, how about attaching the ropes to the capstan but making the capstan removable with the boat?

You could add a plain capstan back in when there's no boat there. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

32 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Hi Kevin, loving the recent photos - the removable buildings are a great idea which made me think...

You previously mentioned that the reason the mooring lines were missing was that you needed to remove the boats in between photos so they don't get damaged. Well, how about attaching the ropes to the capstan but making the capstan removable with the boat?

You could add a plain capstan back in when there's no boat there. 

Interesting idea, I shall give it some thought........but I have the sinister wagon to build (plus I have a Macaw kit on its way that I have just got of Ebay) first.

Then I shall do some thinking......

Thanks

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 06/02/2022 at 03:03, John Besley said:

If that's part of a sleeper train It's the stuff of nightmares, if on the other hand it's part of a PW train then it looks the business

Given the reputed speed of transit between Encombe Town and Little Muddle a sleeper coach might well be needed.

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Shameless plus, apologies @KNP for high-jacking your thread (ingenious hidden lead shot on the sleeper wagon btw).

Followers of Little Muddle might be interested in joining a poll in the GWR sub forum, where we are casting votes for a new GWR R-T-R Pannier tank 0-6-0. As well as the poll, on Page 1 there is my rationale / suggested specification for a new loco. One of which is that the loco should be designed before WW2.

With that being one of the criteria, I thought it might appeal to some of your followers.

The poll is here, together with my rationale: 

Thanks, Neal.

• Like 4