Little Muddle

KNP

That clerestory coach looks nice Kev. :imsohappy:

Thanks

Its one of three that I got of flea bay years ago, for ages they where the only coaches I had to run so they appeared very often in the earlier pictures.

Need to do those roofs on the Collett's to tone them down

Edited by KNP

After Rob's comments about the clerestory coach I had a look back through the 1700 odd pictures I've taken and realised they where last seen back in the 400's.

They did feature very heavily in pictures that Andy Y took for the article back in Oct'17 as at that time I only had two of these and an unfinished auto coach for passengers!!!!

I do recall Andy asking for some more stock only for me to say this is all I had.....at that point I think he realised that the railway supported the scenery and not the other way round..

So to address that here is an eye level picture of one of the clerestories at the head of the recent express.

1710.jpg.bde6a2d6f7024b722a0e7d615ede081f.jpg

They are the Hornby ones but with the roofs colour changed, drop lights highlighted and chassis repainted, then lightly weathered.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Kevin, would you share a close up of the clerestory please? What colour did you do the drop lights? 

It looks very smart at the front, I'm looking at one of mine and thinking with some paint to tone down the 'plastic' look that I could use it more. The standard underframe is pretty horrid looking.

• RMweb Gold

Kevin, would you share a close up of the clerestory please? What colour did you do the drop lights? 

It looks very smart at the front, I'm looking at one of mine and thinking with some paint to tone down the 'plastic' look that I could use it more. The standard underframe is pretty horrid looking.

I've sprayed some of mine with Warhammer Chaos matt black then dusted around the bogies with a tan coloured weathering powder & touch in the step board by the 

doors to create wear marks.

• Like 1

Scott, had the 43xx move the clerestory coach into the coal yard at Little Muddle where the photographic angles and lighting is at its best.

Ken, brave chap, sat in a rowing boat in the harbour to get you these pictures...…

1718.jpg.337680c72566e88cd8a229de803865af.jpg

1719.jpg.95cd4b502e7fd90ffefb5e560fa7f499.jpg

1720.jpg.259c805b926017da9932a75b3a13e9ed.jpg

The roof was painted with Vallejo with Black/Grey, dry brushed faintly with Old Wood, then a wash of Lifecolor Roof Dirt with a final dry brush of Old wood again.

Sides dry brushed with Old Wood and Roof Dirt - light coats and building up. Drop lights Vallejo Beige Brown with Scarlet (red) added to give the hint of mahogany

Chassis same as roof but with more emphasis on Old Wood.

Everything then sprayed with Testors Dull Cote.

Interior painted and a few passengers added that where left over from the B set refurb.

Hope that helps.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

The roof was painted with Vallejo with Black/Grey, dry brushed faintly with Old Wood, then a wash of Lifecolor Roof Dirt with a final dry brush of Old wood again.

Sides dry brushed with Old Wood and Roof Dirt - light coats and building up. Drop lights Vallejo Beige Brown with Scarlet (red) added to give the hint of mahogany

Chassis same as roof but with more emphasis on Old Wood.

Everything then sprayed with Testors Dull Cote.

Interior painted and a few passengers added that where left over from the B set refurb.

Hope that helps.

Lovely work Kev, did you fit new end handrails as I thought they were not separate fittings as supplied.

Lovely work Kev, did you fit new end handrails as I thought they were not separate fittings as supplied.

Nope....just a paint job - highlighted by dry brushing with Vallejo Old Wood

After Rob's comments about the clerestory coach I had a look back through the 1700 odd pictures I've taken and realised they where last seen back in the 400's.

They did feature very heavily in pictures that Andy Y took for the article back in Oct'17 as at that time I only had two of these and an unfinished auto coach for passengers!!!!

I do recall Andy asking for some more stock only for me to say this is all I had.....at that point I think he realised that the railway supported the scenery and not the other way round..

So to address that here is an eye level picture of one of the clerestories at the head of the recent express.

attachicon.gif1710.jpg

They are the Hornby ones but with the roofs colour changed, drop lights highlighted and chassis repainted, then lightly weathered.

Kevin,

Others better informed may correct this, but I thought the Clerestory you have there is in the earlier 1922-27 livery.

Having seen the late John Flann's lovely Clerestory in his 1930s setting

post-26975-0-42941800-1548496620_thumb.jpg

I did some research and picked up this info from

http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriescoach1928.html

"The 1928-1934 livery did away with the magnificent 'old world' lining schemes and introduced a new, modern finish.

The first step came in 1927, when a simple, two-tone chocolate and cream livery was introduced. This was at first devoid of all lining, but soon afterwards a single yellow line was introduced to define the boundary between the chocolate and cream"

Hornby have released Clerestories for both time periods, mine are the later unlined models R484 and R488 better suited to mid 1930s. They often pop up in pre-owned on Hattons for very reasonable prices and are not that bad give their age.

Given the superb end result, Rule 1 may be required?

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains

Kevin,

Others better informed may correct this, but I thought the Clerestory you have there is in the earlier 1922-27 livery.

attachicon.gifpost-3088-0-01214800-1491702732.jpg

"The 1928-1934 livery did away with the magnificent 'old world' lining schemes and introduced a new, modern finish.

The first step came in 1927, when a simple, two-tone chocolate and cream livery was introduced. This was at first devoid of all lining, but soon afterwards a single yellow line was introduced to define the boundary between the chocolate and cream"

Hornby have released Clerestories for both time periods, mine are the later unlined models R484 and R488 better suited to mid 1930s. They often pop up in pre-owned on Hattons for very reasonable prices and are not that bad give their age.

Colin

I expect one day I will repaint them but for now they only come out during a full moon.

At the moment they reside in a storage box and only got that one out to see what it looked like after I saw a picture of a rake of Collett's with one at the head.

Thanks for the heads up, just another thing to add to my list of projects to do, which even after all these years never seems to decrease......as they say a model railway is never really finished!

• RMweb Gold

I expect one day I will repaint them but for now they only come out during a full moon.

At the moment they reside in a storage box and only got that one out to see what it looked like after I saw a picture of a rake of Collett's with one at the head.

Thanks for the heads up, just another thing to add to my list of projects to do, which even after all these years never seems to decrease......as they say a model railway is never really finished!

Of course, Colin was quite right.  But the trouble is that if you repaint Hornby clerestories into any post-1927 livery you lose any illusion of relief panelling, of which the Hornby model is sadly devoid.  I believe that 247 Developments used to do replacement etched sides for these vehicles, but unfortunately they're no longer available.  I've always thought it a bit weird that Hornby omitted the panelling, having made such a good job of it on their much earlier (and largely fictitious) non-corridor clerestories back in the 1960s.

Anyway Kevin, you've made yours look nice.

John C.

• RMweb Gold

But the trouble is that if you repaint Hornby clerestories into any post-1927 livery you lose any illusion of relief panelling, of which the Hornby model is sadly devoid.  I believe that 247 Developments used to do replacement etched sides for these vehicles, but unfortunately they're no longer available.

Has anyone produced something similar with a Silhouette cutter yet?

• RMweb Gold

Kevin,

attachicon.gifpost-3088-0-01214800-1491702732.jpg

Colin

Actually, I think Kevin's lovely clerestory is in 1880-1908 livery because of the lettering: http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriescoach1880.html

Had it been in 1922-27 livery you might have been able to claim that it simply hadn't yet been sent back to the carriage works for repainting, although ~10 years delay in repainting is probably stretching that excuse to breaking point!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well I think the clerestory looks superb the way it is - I don't think I have ever seen a better excuse to apply rule 1!

One never needs an excuse to apply Rule #1... if you do, you're not applying it correctly! :P

I need an excuse to have one still running in that livery in 1947. :read:

• Like 1