Little Muddle

KNP

'Never mind how much you've got to shovel, just tell me when you can see the back of the tender and don't lose the shovel in the fire.  I'll tell you when we're there'.

A top link driver when I was at Canton in the 70s had once forgotten to hold on to the shovel, which went into the firebox, on a down Cardiff-Swansea train; this had happened nearly 40 years before and he was still unable to live it down...

Nice story, one thought though - did they have a spare shovel to hand for the rest of the journey?

Nice story, one thought though - did they have a spare shovel to hand for the rest of the journey?

The duration of “the rest of the journey” would depend somewhat critically on the availability of another one!

It’s a bit like taking your tv or whatever back on its “lifetime guarantee” - “ah,”, says the man, “it’s broken. That’s the end of its life”.

Best

Simon

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

No, they didn't, hence the imperative not to throw it into the fire, a surprisingly easy thing to do when you're exhausted and the loco lurches when you weren't ready for it.  If you lose it overboard, which also happened sometimes, you can always stop and walk back to pick it up, which at least gives the passengers something to laugh at while they're waiting for you, but if you've thrown it into the fire it is almost by definition at a time when the loco is working hard and needs all the steam it can get.  Pressure will drop rapidly and the train will come to a stand as the brakes drag on because the ejectors cannot cope; exactly how quickly this happens depends on the particular circumstances, but if you are at the bottom of a bank you probably won't make it to the top and you are lucky if you can stop near enough to a signalbox to effect a speedy rescue.  

A new shovel had to be found, usually from the nearest loco shed, whose stores foreman would be highly upset at having to issue one to a foreign depot's locomotive.  Locomotives, on the WR at least, came from works with a full set of fire irons which were supposed to last the life of the locomotive, and stocks of spares were not usually carried in bulk at shed stores.

One old school driver once commented to me that if his fireman had ever lost a shovel in this way, he'd have had to climb into the firebox after it to retrieve it; I am not certain of the extent to which this was a joke...  A fireman who had lost a shovel in this way got little in the way of sympathy and a fair bit of fairly assertive criticism!

The thought of doing it halfway across Rannoch Moor on a bad day is genuinely worrying.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I think if I were firing across Rannoch in the winter, I'd have chained the shovel to my arm just in case!

But shovel losses into the fire, or overboard, were fairly rare, and one hopes that the Fort William trains are one of Eastfield's top link jobs with experienced men who know what they are doing...

• Like 2

Looking down the lane we see 2322 crossing the viaduct with the fireman still shovelling the coal.

Least he hasn't lost the shovel in the firebox.....yet!!!

Mind you that telegraph poll does obscure the view a bit. 

post-8925-0-21563500-1541259269_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

None of my firemen who are holding shovels are actually firing the loco; it looks wrong when the loco is standing in the station or doing a bit of casual shunting, which is most of the time.  They are all either messing about in the bunker, perhaps getting ready to bring coal forward, or picking up stray lumps from the cab floor, more suitable activity for periods when the loco is not being actively fired.  This is also the sort of activity that might be more likely to have had the fireman paused in a position for a few seconds while he ponders his next move or is distracted by something than actively firing the loco.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

On the way to Little Muddle station with the early morning train

post-8925-0-47786000-1541319559_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-60891300-1541319583_thumb.jpg

Just noticed with the last picture that I haven't filled the original handle holes in the door.....

Looked the other side I have filled them!!!!!

• Like 15

The sun has come out, so as I had left everything set up I shot of a few more snaps.....

'The Power and The Majesty'

attachicon.gifKS8.jpg

Sums it all up in one line about this loco - GWR at its very best 

Darn you Kev, once having seen this photo I just had to have a "King" for my own 30's GWR setting, Rule #1 required.

Up till then I'd resisted temptation for so long but now just picked up 6011 King James I. 

Great value in the big Hatton's sale new for 85GB pounds (ex VAT but + postage) for a current model of this quality.  Also ran down the stocks of their Tasma bull-rushes which I must say look very impressive on hand.

Inspiration has it's costs :sungum: :sungum:

Colin

• Like 1

Darn you Kev, once having seen this photo I just had to have a "King" for my own 30's GWR setting, Rule #1 required.

Up till then I'd resisted temptation for so long but now just picked up 6011 King James I. 

Great value in the big Hatton's sale new for 85GB pounds (ex VAT but + postage) for a current model of this quality.  Also ran down the stocks of their Tasma bull-rushes which I must say look very impressive on hand.

Inspiration has it's costs :sungum: :sungum:

Colin

Thanks.

Glad I could be of help!!!

Hi Kevin some excellent photographs of your wonderful corner of the GWR  even though I am very surprised even disappointed to note that no autumn colours have appeared in your part of the world as yet ....perhaps this layout is not a real as we have been led to believe  :senile:  :jester:  :jester:

Hi Kevin some excellent photographs of your wonderful corner of the GWR  even though I am very surprised even disappointed to note that no autumn colours have appeared in your part of the world as yet ....perhaps this layout is not a real as we have been led to believe  :senile:  :jester:  :jester:

Glad you like them.

Autumn, seasons, they are an unknown facet in this world.

With life being so sedate, some say stationary, down here at Little Muddle time has past it by with the big outside world carrying on without a pause.

You know, it is in a time warp in there, I walk out and go back the next day, guess what -  it is as just as I left it, only I seem to change !!!

Between you are me I reckon there is a hole in time as I pass back and forth through the railway room door from another dimension.

I need the Doctor and her sonic screwdriver to sort it out...….

Kevin you are of course right Little Muddle is very much in a world of it's own indeed as is the creator, in fact like all who part-take in this wonderful hobby, that is why we all enjoy it so much. I only really mentioned the autumn scene as it has been going through my 'tiny' mind to maybe set Chumley End at this time of year having been treated to such a wonderful display this year.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

An advantage of modelling the GW in a very different environment to this, the bleak South Wales Valleys, denuded of trees long ago for pit props, is that seasons can be evoked by lighting; you just make it as cold and grey as you can and even darker for winter...

I exaggerate, but not by too much; Cwmdimbath is capable of representing more or less any season except deepest winter, as there are no trees and not much in the way of vegetation at all beyond the sheep-cropped mountain grass and some rough looking shrubs.  I think of it as being either spring or autumn according to my mood, though.  If it isn't raining, it's because it's about to.

Kevin you are of course right Little Muddle is very much in a world of it's own indeed as is the creator, in fact like all who part-take in this wonderful hobby, that is why we all enjoy it so much. I only really mentioned the autumn scene as it has been going through my 'tiny' mind to maybe set Chumley End at this time of year having been treated to such a wonderful display this year.

My first thought for the CBC Long Walk Home was for it to be set in autumn but it never progressed beyond an idea.

Like it though as it would be visually very effective.

I look forward to see if this is the route you go down.

• RMweb Gold

This is correct in the sense that Swansea High Street station is higher above sea level than Cardiff General, so that, whatever the gradient profile, a journey from it to Cardiff General is overall downhill.  But no journey from Swansea, a post industrial wasteland so poisonously polluted that there are large ares of it that trees cannot be successfully grown in and which has served no useful purpose for over a century, to Cardiff, the cultural, political, and economic capital of Wales, can be considered 'downhill' in any other sense.  The railway exit from High Street is allegorical; you have to climb to get out of Swansea...

Edited by The Johnster

14xx and the autocoach still in transit.

Quick change of camera position and just catch it...

post-8925-0-24567600-1541432013_thumb.jpg

Adjust camera, and....to late missed it!!!

post-8925-0-30553000-1541432041_thumb.jpg

How many times has that happened to you in real life...…?

• Like 9