Hornby Q6 Slow Running Issues!

charliepetty

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Thanks - be interesting to see what you find. I personally still suspect its motor related but I hope it isnt and you find a mechanical fault that you can fix. I've got 2 from the first batch, one bought new the other second hand. Both died after pretty much the same amount of running and with the same symptoms (variable speed running, getting hot, variable current consumption). Both will run for about 5-20 mins before  the symptoms appear.

I can definitely say that my issue isn't motor.  I did actually buy a motor that I thought I might need on loco number 1, I'll compare this and let you know if it would fit the bill.  Are your symptoms a sudden binding or poor running generally?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gingerangles said:

I can definitely say that my issue isn't motor.  I did actually buy a motor that I thought I might need on loco number 1, I'll compare this and let you know if it would fit the bill.  Are your symptoms a sudden binding or poor running generally?

Both ran beautifully - very smooth but then gradually deteriorated with random speed up and slowing down. Its a real shame as they are really good models of the prototype, lots of character

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Both ran beautifully - very smooth but then gradually deteriorated with random speed up and slowing down. Its a real shame as they are really good models of the prototype, lots of character

that perhaps is a motor issue then.  I can let you know if the motor looks like it'll fit if you'd like?  I know there aren't actual direct replacements available.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Fascinating - I wonder why I cannot open your video?  Out of interest wher have you hosted it?

Regards  Ray

Just uploaded on to here? 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, gingerangles said:

Just uploaded on to here? 🤷‍♂️

Thanks ginger - I wonder if it has anything to do with those who do and doj't pay a subscritption.

Cheers Ray

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Right, well i am now really confused.

Initially with the cranks disconnected I thought the issue was gone.

I've actually stripped the chassis and gearbox, cleaned all the grease off everything and relubed with light oil.

After turning over with just the driving axle connected to the gearbox I connected the middle 2 axles with cranks and they ran, then connected the front axle and the problem seemingly returned. Upon closer inspection however I actually think the problem (or at least part of it) exists in the gearbox... its just being amplified by attaching the cranks or I have 2 issues manifesting themselves as the same thing.

I've inspected the gears and can't see any cracks or flashing. When turning the driven axle by hand, disconnected from the others you can feel the slightest of resistance at the point the thing binds when it is all connected up.

I almost can't believe this slight resistance could manifest itself as it is. When the wheels bind they are proper locked... and really take some force to move through which suddenly releases. But this is only so severe with the cranks connected.

Edited by gingerangles

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, micklner said:

You need to run via You Tube on here. I believe ??.

Certainly YouTube works for me.  I cannot get videos from Flickr to work.

Ray

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 20/06/2024 at 16:34, micklner said:

Video doesnt work ?  says not supported type, no MIME found

Edit

Never seen this before. Running Mac with Firefox and Ad Blocker.

image.png.66bae46dee14519938ee74c2e0a5207c.png

I run a Mac and the above video does open and runs happily in the Chrome browser (Mac op sys eliminated as an issue). I tried it in Firefox to see if it replicated your issue and I get same result as you. To see if it is Firefox specific I then tried Safari where it also runs.

In the first three tests I was logged in as an RMWeb Gold member and tried running it in rave but as an RMWeb Guest, it also ran.

So RMWeb membership/non-membership is another eliminated issue and it appears to be a Firefox and video specific issue. Hope this helps.

Edited by john new
Typo spotted on re-reading the thread.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, john new said:

I run a Mac and the above video does open and runs happily in the Chrome browser (Mac op sys eliminated as an issue). I tried it in Firefox to see of it replicated your issue and I get same result as you. To see if it is Firefox specific I then tried Safari where it also runs.

In athe first three tests I was logged in as an RMWeb Gold member and tried running it Brave but as an RMWeb Guest, it also ran.

So RMWeb membership/non-membership is another eliminated issue and it appears to be a Firefox and video specific issue. Hope this helps.

Thanks John, yes very helpful, some useful observations.

Regards  Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

As an experiment I have just right clicked the 'greyed out video' which offers me the opportunity to open the video file in a new tab.  I can then double click the file and the video plays using Media Player.

Life is mystery.

Cheers Ray

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Hello Ginger, I have now watched both of your videos.  I noticed in the first video that the rollers beneath the driven axle seem to want to move 'back and to' along the track.  I need to think what that means but obviously some 'dimension' is changing as the wheel rotates.   One reason for stiffness is poor quatering of perhaps only one wheel set.  Sometimes you can spot the issue by lining up the spokes or the crank pins.  You can sometimes shift one of the wheels on an axle relative to the other wheel.  On at least one occasion I have had binding because the connecting rods were not drilled or rivetted correctly.  You might be able to check by taking both sets of connecting rods off and superimposing one above the other - to see if the holes line up.

It can be very frustrating - especially when the sun is shining outside.

Regards  Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Hello Ginger, I have now watched both of your videos.  I noticed in the first video that the rollers beneath the driven axle seem to want to move 'back and to' along the track.  I need to think what that means but obviously some 'dimension' is changing as the wheel rotates.   One reason for stiffness is poor quatering of perhaps only one wheel set.  Sometimes you can spot the issue by lining up the spokes or the crank pins.  You can sometimes shift one of the wheels on an axle relative to the other wheel.  On at least one occasion I have had binding because the connecting rods were not drilled or rivetted correctly.  You might be able to check by taking both sets of connectign rods off and superimposing one above the other - to see if the holes line up.

Regards  Ray

Thanks for the ob on one wheel off quarter as a possible problem. It is suspected fault on one of my other locos so something to examine, try to rectify as first  fix next time that Collett 0-6-0 is out of the stock box for testing. 

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

@gingerangles For many years we have been told that it's not possible to upload videos directly to RMweb.

It seems from your posts that it is now possible to upload mp4 files, however not everyone's browser can show them when they are embedded in posts.

The recommended method up until now has been to upload videos to a hosting service, typically Youtube, and embed the link, which RMweb automatically expands to a playable frame.

Maybe @AY Mod could clarify whether that's still the recommendation?

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Maybe @AY Mod could clarify whether that's still the recommendation?

None Premium/Gold users can only upload very limited length (based on file size). Paying members can upload longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

None Premium/Gold users can only upload very limited length (based on file size). Paying members can upload longer.

Indeed... can this be changed please 🙏  its very annoying 🤣

How do I sign up... I've looked a couple of times (not very hard admittedly).

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Hello Ginger, I have now watched both of your videos.  I noticed in the first video that the rollers beneath the driven axle seem to want to move 'back and to' along the track.  I need to think what that means but obviously some 'dimension' is changing as the wheel rotates.   One reason for stiffness is poor quatering of perhaps only one wheel set.  Sometimes you can spot the issue by lining up the spokes or the crank pins.  You can sometimes shift one of the wheels on an axle relative to the other wheel.  On at least one occasion I have had binding because the connecting rods were not drilled or rivetted correctly.  You might be able to check by taking both sets of connecting rods off and superimposing one above the other - to see if the holes line up.

Regards  Ray

I think your logic is sound and it has to be crank / quartering. I have already eyed up the wheels once but they must be odd spokes as one crank pin falls between spokes on the other side. I did notice this seems to be set up LHS leading which I understand is likely incorrect but shouldn't cause the issue.

The seller has offered a partial refund so I'll be keeping it and am therefore 'in' now as far as the issue is concerned so out with the screwdrivers again!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gingerangles said:

they must be odd spokes as one crank pin falls between spokes on the other side.

I cannot remember how many spokes ex NER wheels had but you have to make sure all four wheek sets are the same.......

I have just searched for a replacement wheel set but they do not feature on Lendons or Peters Spares web sites.

Good luck   Ray

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps someone who has converted their Q6 to EM could help with replacement wheelsets ???.

Lovelly loco’s,  a shame not to be able to run it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, D5158 said:

Perhaps someone who has converted their Q6 to EM could help with replacement wheelsets ???.

Lovelly loco’s,  a shame not to be able to run it.

Interesting - someone else had suggested that an EM group search might provide some answers.  

• RMweb Gold

I have not tried to replace wheels in modern Hornby locos, however, in the past their axles, as a legacy of the Tri-ang days, were oversize. Markits (formerly Romford) may have the correct size and spoke type and fit with quartered axles but stocks are patchy. You would also need to check if the axle holes need bushing.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1