Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

On 29/12/2023 at 15:37, Dunalastair said:

Did somebody say ice?

DSCF5350 (2)

Personally, I prefer my whisky without, but I look forward to seeing your version.

Well- the spikes do rather let the cat out of the bag (what a wonderful mixed metaphor!).

Indeed- the Icepug cometh!

IMG_20231227_210741_750.jpg

IMG_20231227_210753_710.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

54 minutes ago, Johnson044 said:

Well- the spikes do rather let the cat out of the bag (what a wonderful mixed metaphor!).

Indeed- the Icepug cometh!

Still needs a wheel at the front (bow?) for the helmsman ... not a usual member of a loco crew.

The NRM has an especially nice model

1862-106.jpg

https://blog.railwaymuseum.org.uk/the-ice-locomotive-curiosities-from-the-engineering-drawing-collections/

Edited by Dunalastair
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

Whilst on the subject of all things pug- my neighbour gave me this motorized example from her late husband's collection. I don't know if this is a Perfecta example or another manufacturer's. it looks like a commercial conversion- very neatly done. the XT-60 just squeaks in. there are new tyres to the Airfix wheels (i assume it's Airfix as it has brakes- am I right in thinking the Kitmaster ones didn't?). There is a shaped weight in the tank and another one loose that looks like it is intended to fit behind the front spectacle plate (but can't as the cab roof is on and the safety valves get in the way). What puzzles me is the plastic representations of the springs- looks like a commercial plastic component intended to form a skirt under the boiler where the original boiler and springs have been cut away. The template used for cutting the hole in the footplate for the motor is included too.

IMG_20231230_173016_513.jpg

IMG_20231230_173155_245.jpg

IMG_20231231_093613_110.jpg

• Like 16

7 hours ago, Johnson044 said:

(i assume it's Airfix as it has brakes- am I right in thinking the Kitmaster ones didn't?)

I believe so, I got a K’master pug chassis, non motorised, off a friend last year, built a Dapol body on top, noticed the brake shoes on the Dapol chassis, and the lack of such on the Rosebud, I know Airfix modified a few of the kits after acquiring them (for example, throwing off City of Truro’s self quartering) so more than likely one of their mods.

• Like 3

I should point out that SRNI No 1 started life as an Airfix Pug kit and it had an intimate affair with a garden shed, some platform canopy columns, a post box and various assorted left overs. Johnson044 and I had a bit of a Christmas/ New Year pugbash challenge so stay tuned to this wireless station for news on his creation.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, Johnson044 said:

As for the Pugbash, well - a good old Airfix job as a starting point plus - well - you know what they say about making omelettes...

IMG_20231230_190317_789.jpg

IMG_20240103_181327_729.jpg

Tender is off one of those Atlas models, is it not? What’s the 4-4-0 from? Interesting looking model, if it’s of a reasonable size you could probably toss a Nellie chassis underneath!

On the topic of Nellie… And just general starter 0-4-0s.

Anyone know any decent short wheelbase 0-6-0 chassis’s? Tempted to make myself some industrial models after seeing the amazing models in this thread, the old Dapol/Hornby Terrier chassis, whilst decent, is overpriced for what it is based on what I’ve seen, and don’t get me started on the Hornby “Toby” chassis, I’ve got a Toby, but if I’m going to use that chassis then I’d much rather get another Toby, which has become rather rare since 2017, maybe Hornby will rerelease it in the same manner as the other Thomas toolings they’ve been pumping out recently? 🤪

But yeah, after short wheelbase 0-6-0T chassis’s, would appreciate any recommendations.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Tender is off one of those Atlas models, is it not? What’s the 4-4-0 from? Interesting looking model, if it’s of a reasonable size you could probably toss a Nellie chassis underneath!

It's an old Lesney (Matchbox) Models of yesteryear Santa Fe locomotive from the early sixties. All diecast and somewhere around TT scale, they also did a GWR Achilles clas 4-2-2 like the Triang Lord of the Isles. Oddly neither was issued with a tender.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

On the topic of Nellie… And just general starter 0-4-0s.

Anyone know any decent short wheelbase 0-6-0 chassis’s? Tempted to make myself some industrial models after seeing the amazing models in this thread, the old Dapol/Hornby Terrier chassis, whilst decent, is overpriced for what it is based on what I’ve seen, and don’t get me started on the Hornby “Toby” chassis, I’ve got a Toby, but if I’m going to use that chassis then I’d much rather get another Toby, which has become rather rare since 2017, maybe Hornby will rerelease it in the same manner as the other Thomas toolings they’ve been pumping out recently? 🤪

But yeah, after short wheelbase 0-6-0T chassis’s, would appreciate any recommendations.

The ElectroTren 0-6-0 chassis is good, small, modern choice, available with outside cylinders.  It does have rather large flanges, however, and is not super cheap.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It's an old Lesney (Matchbox) Models of yesteryear Santa Fe locomotive from the early sixties. All diecast and somewhere around TT scale, they also did a GWR Achilles clas 4-2-2 like the Triang Lord of the Isles. Oddly neither was issued with a tender.

And also did a London tramcar, which from my measurements is pretty much spot-on for HO scale. Which was a weird and market-limiting choice....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, TonyMay said:

The ElectroTren 0-6-0 chassis is good, small, modern choice, available with outside cylinders.  It does have rather large flanges, however, and is not super cheap.

Massive flanges? I can work with that, my layout is built with series 3 track so larger flanges mean it’ll probably run better over my points if anything, and since I upgraded to a System 90 control unit (the handheld one Hornby made) I don’t need to worry about cooking the motor like my Triang P5.5 or Dublo A3 would possibly do.

• Like 2