Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Premium
On 30/09/2024 at 22:43, Brake Compo said:

Thanks for all the kind thoughts - tumour safely removed (the biopsy that was done in April was inconclusive on whether it was benign or cancerous anyway), and hopefully will be released from hospital on bail tomorrow.  I have a very impressive scar - I can now score extra points by claiming that it is my duelling scar!

Anyway back to topic. The idea that appeals to me is to shorten a Nellie body even further and graft it to a carriage to make a steam railmotor & power it with something like a Tenschodo (sic) motor bogie, with the wheels drilled out for some diddy crankpins, with the very enjoyable job of making tiny impressions of Walscherts valve gear out of nickel silver (which seemed to be almost de rigeur on these). The issue is the carriage body - while de-clerestorying a Triang clerestory (of which I have quite a few in stock) might seem the natural approach, as far as I can recall all railmotors were saloon coaches, and trying to find a low cost option that meets the idea of the “challenge” is not something that I have an answer to at present - while butchering an Airfix Autotrailer & adding mouldings to it with Microstrip would work, I think that these are too expensive to match the idea of the thread (I have two in stock, but these are both earmarked for superdetailing…)

I have been trying to find out if it is possible to Pugbash (is that a verb? really??) a steam railcar.  Not finished yet but I will post some pictures so far.  Seeking a source for the body, eventually I picked up an Airfix auto coach for £8, which has the advantage of a) a body shell robust eough to cope with a lot of hacking and b) it's symmetrical (unlike, say, old Caley coaches).  The lining out still needs tidying, it will get a little better, but digital photos are just merciless.  I will post images of the actually pug-based bit when I have put the chassis back on the rolling road.  I should add that the prototype is an LSWR H13.

And yes, I do remember R E M Sankey, and even at 12 I knew this was all a bit...rough. I knew he was enjoying himself though.

_IGP7740.JPG

_IGP7741.JPG

20240511_154934.jpg

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

And the Puggy bit... consists of the motor and driving axle and wheels of a Hornby L&Y Pug (which has the right diameter wheels and vertical axis motor) remounted in the severely truncated chassis of a Hornby Caley Pug (which has the correct 8' wheelbase).  The cylinders were worked up/down from the Caley as well..  (The bent brass for the piston rod is just while I ensure it's working electrically and mechanically.) Proper valve gear to follow when I get my nerve to fettle some Alan Gibson parts and have my head round Walschaerts gear.  All this will just about fit in the engine compartment of the body I just showed. And once the body is on, it may with luck drag itself around about as well as the prototype;

which was by all accounts not very well at all.

Edited by Mr Cervus
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

My lighting doesn’t do the model any justice, but…

IMG_7451.jpeg.a49e94feec130f3d159352a116508186.jpegIMG_7559.jpeg.fd8e03aee152af34492187006950031b.jpeg

46619 is complete! Need to do some wiring work, and then I need to wait on the money to buy it’s name and number boards…

A friend has sold me his 2MT, needs some work but I’ve already got plans to build the second canonically preserved 1MT… It’s a slightly newer variant too, with the X.03 motor and fine wheels, she’ll be a club runner… :)

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

2 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

My lighting doesn’t do the model any justice, but

Very nice model.

Try photographing your models outside. Nothing is better than natural light. 

Also having a section of track with rail sides and sleepers painted a dark colour can help (not necessarily rust coloured) 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, StanO said:

Very nice model.

Try photographing your models outside. Nothing is better than natural light. 

Also having a section of track with rail sides and sleepers painted a dark colour can help (not necessarily rust coloured) 

In that case…

IMG_7628.jpeg.6fbb820887a726a6b07f6ecebca4fe55.jpegIMG_7629.jpeg.1a01dd754238c7f67ac2079a7e63caea.jpeg

Sun’s a little low down, so I may retake them tomorrow if the weather’s nice…

May have to adjust the body’s screwmount, seems to lean down a little at the rear.

Edit: Yes, I did retake the pics.

IMG_7645.jpeg.87cb3a51bdde13a986e59bb698e2619c.jpegIMG_7646.jpeg.764217ee266e50f47c55ad05ef2ba840.jpeg

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 10/10/2024 at 17:52, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

In that case…

IMG_7628.jpeg.6fbb820887a726a6b07f6ecebca4fe55.jpegIMG_7629.jpeg.1a01dd754238c7f67ac2079a7e63caea.jpeg

Sun’s a little low down, so I may retake them tomorrow if the weather’s nice…

May have to adjust the body’s screwmount, seems to lean down a little at the rear.

Edit: Yes, I did retake the pics.

IMG_7645.jpeg.87cb3a51bdde13a986e59bb698e2619c.jpegIMG_7646.jpeg.764217ee266e50f47c55ad05ef2ba840.jpeg

Welp, a second 2MT has been ordered, £12 from a friend, slightly later variant with the finer wheels, so she’ll hopefully be a club runner once she’s cut down… :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Picked up a bargain at the Aldershot show today: a Playcraft NB shunter ("pickups need work") for a fiver.  Carving off some of the unnecessary moulded detail (ladders, numbers) and some proper-sized buffers should transform it. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Picked up a bargain at the Aldershot show today: a Playcraft NB shunter ("pickups need work") for a fiver.  Carving off some of the unnecessary moulded detail (ladders, numbers) and some proper-sized buffers should transform it. 

Good score, no way I'd have turned that down for loose change either! 

I'm just bringing my Tri-ang NBL shunter hatchet job to a conclusion so, having already upgraded 'Nellie' and a Dock Authority shunter, perhaps my next attack on a 1960s 4-wheeler should be one of these..........

Uh-oh, that voice in my head is back, "But you keep saying 'no more projects'....."

Yeah but....no but....yeah but......🤪!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Hi, Looking forwards to seeing it when done.

• Thanks 1

Nothing I like more than another project to clutter up the bench and I've been in the mood for plastic loco bashing recently.

Old Stewarts and Lloyds pug body extracted from the loft and I got busy on my finest cutting mat. First cab, tank and smokebox separated.

pug2.jpg.0784620e2fa38ca861a4b72a74ef9770.jpg

Cab cut into sides and front, cab sides trimmed at the top and the equivilent added to the bottom.  Cab front cut down the middle and trimmed to width, then all parts rejoined. New fill in piece added where the firebox was cut out and spectacle plates opened out. New firebox section added from some 16mm tube. Bunker fronts extended. Smokebox thinned and reshaped.

Tank had the front end sliced off, then was cut lengthways either side of the dome and another 1mm strip removed along those cuts. The three parts were then rejoined and then came a lot of sanding to try and improve the profile of the sides and bottom. Final trim was made with the tank reversed, as it put the dome in the right place and a new hole for the tank filler drilled.  New ends made. This will be revisted after some primer as i don't think I've got the sides fully matching in profile.

Much smaller all round now - 56020 (to be) bluetacked together next to '25

pug3.jpg.bb0965f44d2f9039c49ff8b2c1042116.jpg

Pug1.jpg.20978e673c36ebb818526b4a03bf284b.jpg

Next bit really needs a call to Branchlines about a chassis and making a new running plate from brass.  Does anyone make a good Caley Pug stovepipe chimney?

Edited by 41516
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

I slightly surprised myself with how well the tank surgery went.  So much so that it gave me ideas for others and I bought another scrap Pug body from eBay - which is coming with Class D and Holden 101 bodies too.

I think the Class D can be reboiled and cab reprofiled into a reasonable 0-6-0.  I'm less sure what to do with the 101 - still mentally cutting one up and thinking what can be done with the bits.

• Like 4

How about making the Holden an 0-4-0 tender loco. I must admit though I am not a great fan of the Holden. You could carve up a cheap Deely 0-6-0  tender for it. Making the tender a 4 wheel one. Similar in idea to what Hacksworth did on the 2mt

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 2

On 15/10/2024 at 23:08, SteelAndSoot said:

Had my first time exhibiting at our local yearly model railway show a couple days ago and picked up a number of old, broken, and generally damaged parts before cobbling them together into this thing.

Very pleased with it, especially as it only cost £20 to make and runs brilliantly.

20241016_101906.jpg.20210d912a6705a992106607b92d55d0.jpg

20241016_101927.jpg.4c49ed92f00ff4c6d41c7e97a9a9737d.jpg

20241016_102012.jpg.785aacfa23706b7aa60e51a1925aa73a.jpg

20241014_134520.jpg.47e80c8a6ba2152aa8f5821f4abd9b37.jpg

20241012_194053(1).jpg.8c48f65306fa1235bf7cb49d84345130.jpg

This really is what this thread is all about! A fine Kitmaster bash Steelandsoot.

• Agree 6