Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

College is over for the time being, I had a bit of cash, so I finally bought a rattle fan of Tamiya TS-10 “French Blue” to continue with a commission.

I did an R1 to Thomas conversion a while ago for my brother, a friend wanted one for himself and commissioned me to make one for him, he’s been on and off for a while now but I have the paint I need to do the black and red, then I just need to get lining and number decals…

IMG_2996.jpeg.ee78ba30baa0f51ddc4455972339900c.jpeg

• Like 4

BENBUCKI_HornbyClockwork_PIC_06a_TopTank_Western.jpg.fe022a835b7b24c02496655cca2ef2dc.jpg

Another from the Clockwork 'What-if' project.  When collecting the Triang/Hornby etc. clockwork trains, the holy grail seems to be the Wild West tender-tank.  I annoyingly let one slip through my fingers for a tenner, about a decade ago, and haven't seen one for a while (they weren't produced in massive numbers).  Produced in classic Triang fashion, as cheaply as possible with a red version of the Top Tank, with a cowcatcher, balloon stack, and a tender from a metal plate wagon and Davy Crocket tender top, strangely it works really well.

BENBUCKI_HornbyClockwork_PIC_06b_TopTank_Western.jpg.41deb26b2edfcf1dbbade639cff6bba9.jpg

Being unable to acquire one, and with a spare Top Tank in the box of odds and ends, I thought I'd make my own.  The Wild West detailing parts are cut from a non-running Hornby Toy Story loco, bought for a few quid.  The tender is as-per the Davy Crocket, it was in a job-lot off eBay, though I might yet bodge it onto a plate wagon.  

BENBUCKI_HornbyClockwork_PIC_06c_TopTank_Western.jpg.a23b4d99b6081ef658b958111b651e86.jpg

I haven't decided on the colour scheme yet, though to be honest a part of me really likes how it looks with the parts unpainted.

BENBUCKI_HornbyClockwork_PIC_06d_TopTank_Western.jpg.95ed9bd0cb38f3e02403289dc0eda47a.jpg

I've always had a soft spot for when locomotives were made to look foreign, on the cheap, in films.  There's a bit of Spaghetti Western about it, and hints of the basic 'make it look American with a big lamp and smoke stack' conversions of the Marklin BR80's in the series "Tugs".  I have the parts to do a second one, so might actually make another and do a paint job on it so I can leave this little charmer for the future layout...

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

19 hours ago, Ben B said:

BENBUCKI_HornbyClockwork_PIC_06a_TopTank_Western.jpg.fe022a835b7b24c02496655cca2ef2dc.jpg

Another from the Clockwork 'What-if' project.  When collecting the Triang/Hornby etc. clockwork trains, the holy grail seems to be the Wild West tender-tank.  I annoyingly let one slip through my fingers for a tenner, about a decade ago, and haven't seen one for a while (they weren't produced in massive numbers).  Produced in classic Triang fashion, as cheaply as possible with a red version of the Top Tank, with a cowcatcher, balloon stack, and a tender from a metal plate wagon and Davy Crocket tender top, strangely it works really well.

BENBUCKI_HornbyClockwork_PIC_06b_TopTank_Western.jpg.41deb26b2edfcf1dbbade639cff6bba9.jpg

Being unable to acquire one, and with a spare Top Tank in the box of odds and ends, I thought I'd make my own.  The Wild West detailing parts are cut from a non-running Hornby Toy Story loco, bought for a few quid.  The tender is as-per the Davy Crocket, it was in a job-lot off eBay, though I might yet bodge it onto a plate wagon.  

BENBUCKI_HornbyClockwork_PIC_06c_TopTank_Western.jpg.a23b4d99b6081ef658b958111b651e86.jpg

I haven't decided on the colour scheme yet, though to be honest a part of me really likes how it looks with the parts unpainted.

BENBUCKI_HornbyClockwork_PIC_06d_TopTank_Western.jpg.95ed9bd0cb38f3e02403289dc0eda47a.jpg

I've always had a soft spot for when locomotives were made to look foreign, on the cheap, in films.  There's a bit of Spaghetti Western about it, and hints of the basic 'make it look American with a big lamp and smoke stack' conversions of the Marklin BR80's in the series "Tugs".  I have the parts to do a second one, so might actually make another and do a paint job on it so I can leave this little charmer for the future layout...

I like this model, it feels like a continental starter set and it's great! Does it run well?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LNWR18901910 said:

I like this model, it feels like a continental starter set and it's great! Does it run well?

Surprisingly yes- it was a bit lively, as a clockwork tank loco, but the weight of the tender slows it to a reliable pace :)

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

But at that price also needs to be in the eBay Madness thread! (Well done, Rails!!)

Steve S

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)

Out of curiosity, last weekend, I dug out an old Bachmann “Thomas” body one of my friends gave me about a year or so ago, stripped the paint I gave it in 2023 (or what I could strip, I’ll tidy up with primer and sandpaper in due time) and decided to check how well it lines up to a Nellie chassis…

IMG_3277.jpeg.8374c3c9949f2c17a043ba37e717a258.jpeg

Same friend has a spare chassis, which I’ll probably trade some things with him for, but I’m considering things to do with the body once I have the chassis… Body is a hodgepodge of parts, the original wheel arches were gone when I got it, so I swapped them for custom ones made from a cereal box, tank extensions were broken off, so we’re glued in place and the joint filled with Milliput. Chimney is a brass spare I had kicking about, dome I cut off a Hornby 101 tank, quite crudely, water caps are spares from a Keyser 1400 body. Going to fit with spare Triang buffers, but I’m debating what I do next… I do recall one episode of Thomas where he was threatened with the prospect of being fitted with cowcatcher and side plates, maybe I’ll do something like that…

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 hours ago, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

I think the builder was going for an ex NBR Y9.  Theres a few modifications to the cab and a BR number starting with a 6.

• Agree 1

@rockershovel It's up for £79.50 + £4 postage.  Steep, but considering how many people talk about doing this convertion this is the first I've seen for sale.  I hope they gave whoever they bought it off three times as much as a normal pug.

• Like 2

On 17/06/2023 at 04:29, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

I’ve been spying on this thread for years, and I finally have something to contribute. With some bodging I see no reason why this Hornby 0-4-0 can’t become an 0-8-0 heavy shunter. What might be a suitable chassis? 

A future kitbash

A future kitbash

Hello there, err, Golden Arrow does a 4mm body kit of Maunsell's Z class heavy shunter to suit a Stanier 8f chassis, regards, Tumut

Edited by Tumut
first two words unintelligible !
  • Like 2

On 28/06/2024 at 15:00, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

College is over for the time being, I had a bit of cash, so I finally bought a rattle fan of Tamiya TS-10 “French Blue” to continue with a commission.

I did an R1 to Thomas conversion a while ago for my brother, a friend wanted one for himself and commissioned me to make one for him, he’s been on and off for a while now but I have the paint I need to do the black and red, then I just need to get lining and number decals…

IMG_2996.jpeg.ee78ba30baa0f51ddc4455972339900c.jpeg

ah yes, mine lmao

Some minor work on the 1MT.

IMG_3414.jpeg.db6a710e796cb0f3c79fbe3ea06dfaa5.jpeg

Using some spare pickups from Lima 0-4-0 chassis’s (which TinTracks sent me a few months back), I’ve finally begun to make tender pickups, took the lead weight out of the tender to make routing the wires easier when I get around to it, the pickups are simply bent and trimmed to make contact with the wheels, glued to the plasticard plank across the chassis which does most of the work holding the two halves together.

The 1MT’s motor sticks into the backhead and cab so wiring it should be easy, short wire from the left rail pickup with a spade connector, screwed to the mounting lug on the back of the X.04, the other going to the insulated terminal, which I’ll likely hardwire in place, and make the loco/tender connection permanent. Need to get some more solder so I can wire everything first though.

46619 itself has been on hold over the past few months, simply need to buy the decals and the custom etches from LRS, then she’ll be ready for a proper reveal.

IMG_3415.jpeg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Some minor work on the 1MT.

IMG_3414.jpeg.db6a710e796cb0f3c79fbe3ea06dfaa5.jpeg

Using some spare pickups from Lima 0-4-0 chassis’s (which TinTracks sent me a few months back), I’ve finally begun to make tender pickups, took the lead weight out of the tender to make routing the wires easier when I get around to it, the pickups are simply bent and trimmed to make contact with the wheels, glued to the plasticard plank across the chassis which does most of the work holding the two halves together.

The 1MT’s motor sticks into the backhead and cab so wiring it should be easy, short wire from the left rail pickup with a spade connector, screwed to the mounting lug on the back of the X.04, the other going to the insulated terminal, which I’ll likely hardwire in place, and make the loco/tender connection permanent. Need to get some more solder so I can wire everything first though.

46619 itself has been on hold over the past few months, simply need to buy the decals and the custom etches from LRS, then she’ll be ready for a proper reveal.

IMG_3415.jpeg

Not a fan of those split wheelsets - the first Hornby Class 47 releases with cast metal underframe had this arrangement on the trailing bogie with the pick-ups pushing the wheels apart - variable back-to-backs? I solved it on my two 47s by fitting Silver Seal wheelsets (the proper metal tyred ones on steel axles, not those awful plastic square axle things!)

See how it runs and if you find tender derailment issues on pointwork consider gluing the pairs of axle sleeves together - that would also help the wheels to keep turning against any friction from your pick-ups.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Not a fan of those split wheelsets - the first Hornby Class 47 releases with cast metal underframe had this arrangement on the trailing bogie with the pick-ups pushing the wheels apart - variable back-to-backs? I solved it on my two 47s by fitting Silver Seal wheelsets (the proper metal tyred ones on steel axles, not those awful plastic square axle things!)

See how it runs and if you find tender derailment issues on pointwork consider gluing the pairs of axle sleeves together - that would also help the wheels to keep turning against any friction from your pick-ups.

I’ve personally never had much of an issue with these wheels, neither with the unmodified 2MT or my cut-down one, I’ll see how this runs with the new pickups this weekend though, I’ve rolled it up and down some code 100 straight and had little issue with free rolling after adjusting the pickups, and with my Triang layout’s coarser tolerances I can’t imagine it having many issues.

If I find any issues on the layout then I’ll see how well doing this works, first time attempting custom pickups though, all a bit of trial and error for me, so thanks for the warning.

• Like 2

Thanks, on a personal level I really like clockwork. There's something very hands on and mechanical about it (that's also why it has draw hooks and the capacity for three links). also, my railway doesn't have powered track. 

as an aside, photography is so cruel, it's showing up all the little dings and scrapes it's got, I'm now off to touch them up. 

Edited by StanO
missed a detail
  • Like 2

On 30/12/2023 at 17:02, Gilwell Park said:

Here is my Y7 converted from a Triang Nellie as an odd job during lockdown. Only thing purchased was the transfers. Not as accurate, and without a whistle, but much cheaper than £144.95 from Rapido. ( which I am sure will be a brilliant model)

IMG_7414.JPG

How much work did it take? I was interested in doing my own conversion of a Nellie into a Y7, so I was looking through here to find tips on how to do a bash properly (I have an NER Class 901 I'm doing but that's about 40% plasticard now so there's not much holden tank left) and I found this which is exactly what I wanted to do

• Like 1

Had some TS-10 left over from that Thomas commission (which still needs lining), so, despite not modelling Thomas stuff for myself awfully often, I caved, and…

IMG_3861.jpeg.7e7dfe13a37ad47a6b3b462c8feebd84.jpeg

Going to make Tramway Thomas a thing, test fitting on a chassis from a Polly to see how much I’ll have to cut away from the chassis, I’ll get a spare to use with this model.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Had some TS-10 left over from that Thomas commission (which still needs lining), so, despite not modelling Thomas stuff for myself awfully often, I caved, and…

IMG_3861.jpeg.7e7dfe13a37ad47a6b3b462c8feebd84.jpeg

Going to make Tramway Thomas a thing, test fitting on a chassis from a Polly to see how much I’ll have to cut away from the chassis, I’ll get a spare to use with this model.

By the look on his face you may have jammed it in too tight!

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, 33C said:

By the look on his face you may have jammed it in too tight!

‘Tisn’t the standard Bachmann face, it’s a spare from a wooden Thomas toy, didn’t have the original* as the model arrived to me looking like… Well, I’ll let this photo explain:

IMG_8135.png.b2a3e42f789ad9e1e990129e0f5f95af.png

As I said, I was just test fitting to see what I’ll need to cut away from the new chassis.

*Didn’t have a motor either.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

‘Tisn’t the standard Bachmann face, it’s a spare from a wooden Thomas toy, didn’t have the original* as the model arrived to me looking like… Well, I’ll let this photo explain:

IMG_8135.png.b2a3e42f789ad9e1e990129e0f5f95af.png

As I said, I was just test fitting to see what I’ll need to cut away from the new chassis.

*Didn’t have a motor either.

"You should have seen the other guy..."

That looks like a REALLY rough night out 🤣

• Funny 7