Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

1 hour ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Asking for both my own knowledge and helping a friend; What glue would you all recommend for fitting brass nameplates and such to a model? Super glue is off the table as you hardly get any wiggle room for errors and risk the “misting” effect it can sometimes leave behind, would something like “glue n glaze” work?

For fitting the etched nameplates my Accurascale Deltic I just used a glue stick, it stuck surprisingly and it still hasn't come off

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DarthHelix said:

I've heard just normal PVA can work well

Brill, got loads of that knocking about, I’ve used it for gluing down coal loads, should work fine, was just asking as soon I’ll be ordering up nameplates, a headboard, and a smokebox number board & shedcode from LRS…

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As recommended on here (by someone - sorry I can't remember who) humbrol varnish. One side at a time allowing it to dry in-between worked really well for me. Dab it on in the plate location and place your plate.

Better picture was lost on the forum but this loco was done that way.

Compress_20220213_161750_0614.jpg.1a48b59e10e44c46e381118690167e60.jpg

• Like 6

On 26/05/2024 at 22:33, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Finally got some footage of the 1MT on test, just a short straight on my desk for now, I need to get better pickups sorted though, the current ones are too stiff and don’t account for lateral movement of the axle, or camber of the wheel, so sometimes it only actually has 1 wheel pickup when it stops with the rear wheel on negative camber! (Even using a vice, the rear wheels didn’t go on straight when it came time to refit).

I’ve also made an effort to make the rear overhang look a little less unsightly, some plasticard triangles glued around the drawbar pivot (the insides tapered somewhat to compensate for the drawbar’s pivoting, likewise the drawbar now tapers towards the tender pivot as a result). I’ll have to get some steam pipes too, to further hide this overhang… What they’ll be for? I have no s0dd1ng clue, but I’m certain I could think something up…

IMG_1866.jpeg.e57960c969838f0a1dbdafbe32218a5f.jpeg

Quite a nice model! I can see it in a train set with four coaches, an oval of track with siding and controller with transformer/adapter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Quite a nice model! I can see it in a train set with four coaches, an oval of track with siding and controller with transformer/adapter.

Hornby could learn a lot from this simple approach I’ve developed 🤪

• Funny 1

45 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Yes, indeed! I've been sinpired to make my own 2-4-0 tender locomotive but of Victorian steam-era design. Would you like to see it?

• Like 1

HI, I think you are being a bit over generous in what's in your set. I cannot see Hornby giving you 4 coaches. Perhaps 2 of the 4 wheelers if you are lucky.....🙃

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, cypherman said:

HI, I think you are being a bit over generous in what's in your set. I cannot see Hornby giving you 4 coaches. Perhaps 2 of the 4 wheelers if you are lucky.....🙃

Was LNWR’s idea, not mine :)

Was more so commenting on the idea of a cheap, small loco, so far the 1MT’s only cost me a tenner!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Was LNWR’s idea, not mine :)

Was more so commenting on the idea of a cheap, small loco, so far the 1MT’s only cost me a tenner!

Don't forget the talent and time making the model.

• Like 1

Stupid idea’s just come to mind… Has anyone ever considered an 0-6-0 variant of the Triang Nellie chassis? Just curious…

I have the facilities to actually do it, a spare block, some careful measuring with a scribe, rule and centre punch, appropriately sized drill bit…

Main concern would be the rods, but I could probably 3D print those, or make custom ones from plasticard?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 26/05/2024 at 22:33, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Finally got some footage of the 1MT on test, just a short straight on my desk for now, I need to get better pickups sorted though, the current ones are too stiff and don’t account for lateral movement of the axle, or camber of the wheel, so sometimes it only actually has 1 wheel pickup when it stops with the rear wheel on negative camber! (Even using a vice, the rear wheels didn’t go on straight when it came time to refit).

I’ve also made an effort to make the rear overhang look a little less unsightly, some plasticard triangles glued around the drawbar pivot (the insides tapered somewhat to compensate for the drawbar’s pivoting, likewise the drawbar now tapers towards the tender pivot as a result). I’ll have to get some steam pipes too, to further hide this overhang… What they’ll be for? I have no s0dd1ng clue, but I’m certain I could think something up…

IMG_1866.jpeg.e57960c969838f0a1dbdafbe32218a5f.jpeg

Copy the pipes under the cab of a 9F

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Stupid idea’s just come to mind… Has anyone ever considered an 0-6-0 variant of the Triang Nellie chassis? Just curious…

I have the facilities to actually do it, a spare block, some careful measuring with a scribe, rule and centre punch, appropriately sized drill bit…

Main concern would be the rods, but I could probably 3D print those, or make custom ones from plasticard?

It has been done a few years ago. using a Jouef/Electrotren junior outside cylinder 0-6-0 chassis.  I think it was in Railway Modeller at the time.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Yes please

Certainly. In fact, here it is.

FreelanceVictorianSteamEngineDesign.png.57f1d2f43e75ed09f257a49fc84331de.png

A condensed version of the GWR Dean Single as a 2-4-0. I should find a GWR Dean Single body and a short wheelbase M7 chassis - here's hoping it can be pulled off!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Moxy said:

It has been done a few years ago. using a Jouef/Electrotren junior outside cylinder 0-6-0 chassis.  I think it was in Railway Modeller at the time.

Trawl through this topic. There are 0-6-0 Nellie conversions using Electrotren chassis, Terrier chassis, Bachmann Thomas chassis, cut-down TriAng Princess chassis and all manner of other things. I think there's an 0-8-0 somewhere 

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Moxy said:

Here's one. Although only the early pictures survived the cataclysm.

Edited by TangoOscarMike
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Moxy said:

I’ve seen plenty of Nellie conversions, yes, but I’m on about actually modifying the Triang chassis… I’ve been packing up all my locos, rolling stock and parts as we prepare to move the rooms around and I’ve found several spare Nellie chassis blocks, I’m on about actually drilling a hole for a third axle, and modifying the chassis to take a small 0-6-0 wheel configuration.

Like I said, just a stupid idea, but with enough time and patience it could be done…

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Moxy said:

One up for grabs here for what looks like a reasonable price by current standards:

https://howesmodels.co.uk/product/electrotren-hes2001-030-steam-locomotive-molly-blackberry-black-with-red-pale-blue-lining/

Not tempted meself, the NBL shunter is my final Tri-ang make-over (honest - too much else to do!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For my previous Shapeways 3D prints (in Versatile Plastic, formerly known as Strong and Flexible) I haven't bothered to address the rough surface. I've been content to let the layers of paint fill the pores and smooth it (somewhat).

For this one, I'd like to try a new (to me) approach to lining, which will probably work better if I start with a smooth surface (on the tank and cab sides - I won't try to smooth the whole thing).

I have a tube of plastic paste. This stuff comes out of the tube with a very workable consistency but dries in seconds, which is why this the model seems to be caked in mud.

filler_caked_on.png.c6def30b1cdc0fdb6c258a4112a4ec25.png

I found that if I doused the stuff in liquid cement, I could make it into a slurry and smear that over the surface.

filler_smeared_around.png.847ba3ce9f7fc162a5cf3f8e38c6d4a8.png

And now, sanded back, it might be smooth enough.

filler_sanded.png.3b75931721b657c0cd58b239764a0d86.png

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Been digging through my spares today, and I stumbled upon this…

IMG_2344.jpeg.42bb4c1e8fff6c7c0e12f7108bf5500e.jpeg

The Hornby “Toy Story” 4-4-0, my first OO locomotive from the early 2010s, dad and I butchered it for parts when his landlord gifted me an old Triang Jinty, in an attempt to do a motor swap, but all we did was end up dismantling both models.

Unsure where the cab for the 4-4-0 went, but I’ll hunt around for it, rods were bent up but some squeezing in a bench vice has them flattened out, so it rolls now, tempted to sell the motorless chassis, as I’ve dug out a spare Nellie block and some Jinty wheels, so I feel, as the item that made me take my first steps into the hobby in the first place, it deserves a facelift… Maybe I’ll try and find a tatty old “Davy Crockett” tender to match with it, or see if I can bodge my own together…

Fitting a new chassis will also give me the bonus of being able to run it on my Triang series 3 layout, something I probably wouldn’t be able to do with its original chassis.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

For anyone Interested, there’s a fair amount of cheap Hornby 0-4-0s on Etsy, along with the international 0-4-0s and old wagons.

Isn’t Etsy more usually used to sell independent craft stuff rather than second hand items?

49 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Isn’t Etsy more usually used to sell independent craft stuff rather than second hand items?

It’s a website where people can list stuff they’re trying to sell, doesn’t just have to be craft stuff, but yes, pretty sure Etsy is mostly used by people trying to sell craft stuff.

• Like 2