Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

But Mr Wolf… he did!!

Which means …

If Mr Wolf commented that the phrase “kit built” wasn’t in the title when he viewed it, and forty minutes later it was included when I visited the same link, then …

(a) Moxy is Gostude and is posting here to drum up business, but since having his missed ‘search bait’ trick in his listing pointed out by Mr Wolf has updated his eBay item description

(b) Moxy isn’t Gostude, but Gostude is monitoring RMWeb and since Mr Wolf pointed out that he (Gostude) had missed a ‘search bait’ trick in his listing title has now updated it

or

(c) Mr Wolf missed the infamous “kit built” phrase in the title (being all capitals)

I’m hoping it is (c) as otherwise Go$turd is watching us!

😱

Ha ha! 🤣 I hadn't spotted it was that seller.

Definitely not me, I wouldn't charge that much!

• Funny 4

7 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

But Mr Wolf… he did!!

IMG_3548.jpeg.171f3440d3fc34caaba71f40cdfeaa6d.jpeg

Which means …

If Mr Wolf commented that the phrase “kit built” wasn’t in the title when he viewed it, and forty minutes later it was included when I visited the same link, then …

(a) Moxy is Gostude and is posting here to drum up business, but since having his missed ‘search bait’ trick in his listing pointed out by Mr Wolf has updated his eBay item description

(b) Moxy isn’t Gostude, but Gostude is monitoring RMWeb and since Mr Wolf pointed out that he (Gostude) had missed a ‘search bait’ trick in his listing title has now updated it

or

(c) Mr Wolf missed the infamous “kit built” phrase in the title (being all capitals)

I’m hoping it is (c) as otherwise Go$turd is watching us!

😱

Actually, add a pony truck at the back, and it has the flavour of the Taff Vale 0-6-2 tank loco no.85 on the Worth Valley.

Oh, I do not need another project, I do NOT need another project...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, Barclay said:

I quite like the look of it, though it must be seriously out of gauge in TT.

I still think that a 2 Nellies Cut 'N' Shut would make a very imposing 0-8-0T, but can't bear to cut them up!

I've a part-built tramway skirted Double Fairlie in a box somewhere... started it back when I'd plans for an industrial layout. 2 Nellie bodies on a Bachmann US diesel chassis... might have to finish it at some point

• Like 4

Discovered recently the "Dinky" push a long 0-4-0 die cast body fits with no mods on to a simple Hornby 0-4-0 chassis

20230703_024038.jpg.0c4c6a819d26470632461c1a7d9bc91c.jpg

20230703_024215.jpg.bff00c38db7b4222e9c95dc5eebd7b5e.jpg

Plan is to cut away the metal cylinder and have an inside cylinder 0-4-0

Some information  - the "Dinky" push a long c1974 is the die cast version of the plastic Hornby Dublo 0-4-0 starter set c1964, which itself is quite rare. There are more die cast bodies knocking about, I've seen recently a trader at a toy fair trying to sell a "metal body" starter set with die cast chassis wagons,  the original and genuine where all plastic in a polystyrene box.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, locomad2 said:

Discovered recently the "Dinky" push a long 0-4-0 die cast body fits with no mods on to a simple Hornby 0-4-0 chassis

20230703_024038.jpg.0c4c6a819d26470632461c1a7d9bc91c.jpg

20230703_024215.jpg.bff00c38db7b4222e9c95dc5eebd7b5e.jpg

Plan is to cut away the metal cylinder and have an inside cylinder 0-4-0

Some information  - the "Dinky" push a long c1974 is the die cast version of the plastic Hornby Dublo 0-4-0 starter set c1964, which itself is quite rare. There are more die cast bodies knocking about, I've seen recently a trader at a toy fair trying to sell a "metal body" starter set with die cast chassis wagons,  the original and genuine where all plastic in a polystyrene box.

That’s really interesting to see, having picked up one of the above bodies for messing about with. How does buffer (beam) height compare to other stock? If it sits at the correct height above the rails, this makes for an incredibly ‘brutish’ 0-4-0 loco, but looks pretty well balanced on your chassis. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

Thinking about my earlier 0-8-0 post, I’ve always like the idea of a British version of the adorable BR98, which I suppose the closest thing to is the Terrier.

After some quick research, I’ve discovered that the Hornby terrier and Fleischmann BR98 are the same length…

Might look good with a standard-tank esque cab, new smokebox door, and lose some of the boiler detail (it might look a bit like a BR-standard take on a USRA dock shunter? 

I've been working on a tank loco using a Hornby starter loco and a Wells-Brimtoy clockelwork body, which seems to take it's design cues from the Standard 2mt and similar.  My idea was that the Standard loco building scheme might have identified a need for an 0-4-0 tank loco for industrial sites like docks. It was going to be for my Collector layout mentioned up the page, but it was more logical to have diesel shunters. 

I do like that Dinky body; I've one of the plastic versions, I reckon it might look good on the electrotren 0-6-0 as a really beefy industrial shunter, or something close-coupled like a terrier.

• Like 3

Buffer height almost prefect next to a airfix kit coal wagon

20230703_174844.jpg.2b25c681f8c1c9aa82b36ac77db4aa7d.jpg

I converted this some while back, its been shown somewhere on this site, its the same Dinky die cast body on a Hornby chassis with outside cylinder with piston rod, note chassis is slightly forward on the body to hide plastic clyinder behind chassis cylinder and involves removing the big front chassis supporting lug.  

20230703_174857.jpg.60d387f89aae2199bb3873a2d4de76cc.jpg

both are good runners the extra weight really helps plus less likely to stall on insolfrog points. 

Edited by locomad2
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

7 hours ago, Ben B said:

My idea was that the Standard loco building scheme might have identified a need for an 0-4-0 tank loco for industrial sites like docks.

They did. Five of these were built in 1953 at Horwich to an updated design of a LMS Kitson Tank.

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p461347233/eeeab4841

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Kitson_0-4-0ST

More were planned, but it was the era of the diesels I'm afraid.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

A shortened 9F, like a sort of British USRA 0-8-0 switcher.

I am currently working on an 0-8-0 using a IHC switcher building this as a 7/8ths minimum gauge loco...

IHC23731YardShifter1841(1).jpg.2d5cb409aac09956acdf50a4a950e839.jpg.92ba20e4763e1d9cea06da29b1ba410b.jpg

Footplateframework(3).jpg.d68f08925df4c0fe07de40f6d3c5b685.jpg.079bb4c30ba8cc59c68a9ce42a9395f6.jpg

Ignore the Battle of Britain tender from an Airfix Biggin Hill,  this loco will have a boigie tender along the lines of RH&DR

The Biggin Hill conversion is another project at some point

All my existing locos use either R1 chassis with HLK Road Runner or the Lima 33 with replacement CD motor conversion

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The body went into the garage tonight for some engineering work, buffers removed and holes drilled for replacement, bits used for front inside  cylinder cover just under smokebox door, side cylinders cut off, somehow it didn't look right so chassis moved forward, almost same position as previous, looks ok now,  going to leave side cylinder pipe from smokebox on will anyone notice ?

20230703_233427.jpg.4982266b86d9f301afe6ab49eac4a353.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

15 minutes ago, locomad2 said:

The body went into the garage tonight for some engineering work, buffers removed and holes drilled for replacement, bits used for front inside  cylinder cover just under smokebox door, side cylinders cut off, somehow it didn't look right so chassis moved forward, almost same position as previous, looks ok now,  going to leave side cylinder pipe from smokebox on will anyone notice ?

20230703_233427.jpg.4982266b86d9f301afe6ab49eac4a353.jpg

I will now. Cover them with a sand box!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I did one of these years ago and i remember that the Hornby King brass chimney cap was a perfect fit to the funnel on this model. (If you want a bit of bling!)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Did you need to remove an internal “column” to get the chassis to move further forward? If so, how did you do that? (Would be great to remove the one from the cab for a more open cab too, I am thinking!)

IMG_3562.jpeg.9e107f1ebea16b85f0e443af37d9c2b6.jpeg

Shown ringed in yellow!!

Steve S

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/07/2023 at 03:14, locomad2 said:

Hi, 

Here's an unfinished conversion I did during the first lockdown. I'd not done any railway modelling for years so started a few projects to get my hands and eyes back into working together.

The NCB transfers are from the excellent Railtec range. The loco is converted to 3 rail running by shorting together the wheels on both sides, re routing the motor connection and adding a home brewed centre pickup.  The new chimney and safety valves are from the scrapbox. Hornby cylinders filed down to fit behind the cast ones. It's quite a weighty beast, if it flies off at the corners it could cause some damage!!

The NCB brake van is a hacked down scrap Dublo ex LMS item. I cut off one veranda and carved off the door surround. I mounted the  van body on a standard Dublo wagon chassis with glued on plastikard running boards. I can't find them right now but I also converted a couple of scrap Dublo SD grain wagons into open top NCB hoppers to go with the loco and brake van. Somewhere I have another one of these locos painted in LNER Darlington Green and fully lined out ''station pilot style''.

These loco bodies make great projects and nice to see other peoples conversions.

Regards, Rich

0-4-0 CONVERSION.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Did you need to remove an internal “column” to get the chassis to move further forward?

Hi Steve.

I had a go at removing the spigots by turning the loco upside down and holding it in a rough wooden cradle. I then flattened off the ends of the spigots with a file and tried to reduce/remove them by using my pillar drill and large size drill piece. TBH it didn't work so well, neither did a grind stone in a mini drill so I ended up using the original spigots with a Milliput block on the end to give me a fixing point.

To get the front cab windows I mocked up another cradle from scrap wood and , using the back windows as a guide I drilled through to the cab front.

Regards, Rich

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

A rough disc cutter in the dremel may cut right through but just a cut line should weaken it enough to bend it back and forth until it gives.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2