Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Premium
On 16/05/2023 at 16:55, 41516 said:

Might I suggest turning the cab the other way round to give space for the control desk at the engine end and the doors at the fuel tank end?

Thanks for that info - I had placed the cab sides on in that orientation because there were interior mouldings on the sides which propped up against the inner block (which narrows partway down between the two bonnets) - the other way around they wouldn’t stand upright to take the photo!

Now you have told me that, then it makes sense to do so!!

HOURS OF FETTLING FUN!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Progress … of sorts…

I used the Dapol kit cab front to cut a card template to work out how much more to cut away to clear the larger bonnets and, by doing so, have discovered that the cab sides are, in fact, slightly longer than the gap provided in the original Jouef moulding! My mis-measuring I shall put down to the Dougal Effect*

Therefore, to  enable an 04 Drewery size cab to fit, the chunk of plastic covering the motor and joining the two bonnets will have to go. So far, the shorter bonnet has been detached, and the excess plastic (where the original cab slotted on and seated itself) has been laboriously whittled away.

I now have a short bonnet which can move along towards the buffer beam by approx 1mm to allow the new cab to fit. I could say “job done” and concentrate upon fettling up some cab fronts, but I am now of a mind to remove the rest of the “motor cover”, as by so doing it will give far more surface area to glue the new cab ends to the existing bonnets than if left in place.

UPDATE

Both bonnets separated … and showing the motor which will be in the cab (hopefully just below window level!)

IMG_3371.jpeg.cae6a4eb85c97ab468e107cb8e16c2d6.jpeg

Bit removed sitting to left.

Next job is to make some suitable cab fronts to fit between the Dapol Drewery cab sides!

HOURS OF BODGERY FUN!

* This cow is small, those cows are far away… you see, Dougal?

Edited by SteveyDee68
Update on (small) progress
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, 298 said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, I've seen photos of similar conversions from Cuba but nothing like this:

http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/industrial/ont/century_coal.htm

Nah. That's someone's Kitmaster Pug gone wrong due to too many saddle tank parts in the box!

🤪

I do remember someone I knew glued an extra turret on to an Airfix tank as there was an alternative one in the kit. ISTR he never did follow the instructions and some of the models did end up quite bizarrely made.

Jason

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

On 03/06/2023 at 09:06, 298 said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, I've seen photos of similar conversions from Cuba but nothing like this:

http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/industrial/ont/century_coal.htm

I wonder if anyone has ever built one and then realised it won't fit in the goods shed / the engine shed / the loading dock / under the signal gantry / through the hole in the backscene etc etc. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

On 03/04/2023 at 22:33, MarshLane said:

At some point every month, I come back to this thread and relook at the post above transforming a Triang Nellie, and think I'd really like to come up with a small layout that could utilise something like that!  Then lo and behold while looking through some old Railway Modellers, I came across a layout I have long thought was wonderful - not rivet-counter accurate, but just a lovely nice little layout.  The Hardup, Stoneybroke and Skint!  See RM August 1992.  14'x2' over five boards, depicting a fictional railway, built cheaply using vehicles to O-16.5 to suggest narrow gauge.  They included former 'Desmond' style locos and and a couple of Peco Hunslet kits.

That then set me thinking about what could be done with some small locos, modified/updated and some cheap rolling stock ... and hey presto! I found myself back here looking at Nellie once more!  Given that the Electrotren chassis seems to have gone the way of the Do-do ... could @On30runner (or anyone who has one of the electrotren chassis) tell me what diameter wheels they use please?  I have a plan ...... (What you all mean, oh dear 😜)

Rich

13.9mm across the tread

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, robert17649 said:

very right and proper too thats the best place for ice

Although in this sticky heat, one might want to fill a bath tub with it and submerge oneself within to feel refreshed!

HOURS OF FUN!!

• Like 2

Here's something new from me, from a project I've been working on for the Hornby "Collector" mag.  I needed a couple of entry-level, budget industrial diesels, and didn't fancy just doing a repaint of an 06.  I'll just post a few pics.

BenBucki_Class06Bash_2023_01.jpg.580a16865530ebeee28e404a14c87478.jpg

Ebay for the Virgin shunter, Peters Spares for the rest.

BenBucki_Class06Bash_2023_02.jpg.b036fa560504b6855f2e7ff1933c0781.jpg

An evening with the razor saw, superglue, and pretty much no planning...

BenBucki_Class06Bash_2023_03.jpg.e35450126604fd4d53abe0e253973d48.jpg

Loco one, something a bit Hudswell-Clarke high-bonnet in flavour...

BenBucki_Class06Bash_2023_04.jpg.b24f4394fbfd9d18e81aab6b17d0ee37.jpg

And something a little more Yorkshire Engine Co. or maybe Bagnall with the slightly-angled bonnet sides.

They're not quite finished yet, needing some odd details like extra handrails, a bit of filler and touch-up of paint, they were a slight rush job for a deadline.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Ben B said:

Here's something new from me, from a project I've been working on for the Hornby "Collector" mag.  I needed a couple of entry-level, budget industrial diesels, and didn't fancy just doing a repaint of an 06.  I'll just post a few pics.

BenBucki_Class06Bash_2023_01.jpg.580a16865530ebeee28e404a14c87478.jpg

Ebay for the Virgin shunter, Peters Spares for the rest.

BenBucki_Class06Bash_2023_02.jpg.b036fa560504b6855f2e7ff1933c0781.jpg

An evening with the razor saw, superglue, and pretty much no planning...

BenBucki_Class06Bash_2023_03.jpg.e35450126604fd4d53abe0e253973d48.jpg

Loco one, something a bit Hudswell-Clarke high-bonnet in flavour...

BenBucki_Class06Bash_2023_04.jpg.b24f4394fbfd9d18e81aab6b17d0ee37.jpg

And something a little more Yorkshire Engine Co. or maybe Bagnall with the slightly-angled bonnet sides.

They're not quite finished yet, needing some odd details like extra handrails, a bit of filler and touch-up of paint, they were a slight rush job for a deadline.

Okay, questions…

1) What is that long bit of loco bonnet?

2) How did you get sloping sides? (I have a feeling this is going to be flipping obvious…!)

3) Is it one chassis and two bodies?

I have to say that I do like, a lot!

(Stop it, no, you’ve got a Joueffstein on the go…!)

Steve S

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

25 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Okay, questions…

2) How did you get sloping sides? (I have a feeling this is going to be flipping obvious…!)

Steve S

The long grey bonnet is the middle section of a class 58, the sloping sides had a coping saw run along the insides at cantrail level before they were gently flexed out, and they were fixed to the cut-down class 06 bonnet which had everything above toolbox-level cut away (the best way to make sure it still went snugly into the metal baseplate).  There are two chassis, each slightly different (one has a larger plate for the cab footsteps, better hiding the steam loco cylinder block.  I toyed with retaining this and doing a hint of jackshaft drive, I might still do if I can get some spare coupling rods).  Originally it was going to be two bodies to swap on the chassis of the Virgin shunter, but I sacrificed the chassis from the miniature railway Class 06-conversion I did for Port Eden.

Incidentally, the Caley metal steam loco chassis plate in the first pic is for a related build, which I ran out of time for, with a Wells clockwork tank loco body.  Hopefully I'll be getting that built soon for the layout :)

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Okay, questions…

Steve S

Hornby Class 58 body.

Just don't cut up any BR Blue ones as they're worth a fortune as I don't think they were ever released as BR changed the livery at the last minute!

Some exist though and look like this.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_year_details.asp?itemyearid=269

What turned up was this one.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_year_details.asp?itemyearid=287

Jason

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

I’ve been spying on this thread for years, and I finally have something to contribute. With some bodging I see no reason why this Hornby 0-4-0 can’t become an 0-8-0 heavy shunter. What might be a suitable chassis? 

A future kitbash

A future kitbash

Why not glue two of the 0-4-0 chassis together? Failing that, I saw a Z made on an Hornby Dublo 8F chassis in an RM, years ago. OR......glue two of the D class together for the ultimate "Pugbash!"

Edited by 33C
add letter
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/06/2023 at 17:17, Steamport Southport said:

Nah. That's someone's Kitmaster Pug gone wrong due to too many saddle tank parts in the box!

🤪

I do remember someone I knew glued an extra turret on to an Airfix tank as there was an alternative one in the kit. ISTR he never did follow the instructions and some of the models did end up quite bizarrely made.

Jason

T34, Lee/Grant or Crusader?

2 hours ago, 33C said:

T34, Lee/Grant or Crusader?

Definitely not a Lee/Grant as I had them myself so was familiar with them. i would love a big scale model of one of those.

Quite possibly the Russian T34 as I seem to recall it was put on the flat bit at the back. And I mean glued on with no pretence to make it seem credible. He was about nine or ten. ISTR it was unpainted green plastic as he never painted them either.

I just can't really remember, it was well over 40 years ago!

Jason

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rich Uncle Skeleton said:

I’ve been spying on this thread for years, and I finally have something to contribute. With some bodging I see no reason why this Hornby 0-4-0 can’t become an 0-8-0 heavy shunter. What might be a suitable chassis? 

A future kitbash

A future kitbash

Hornby 8F chassis is probably the only thing close and readily available at a reasonable price. It's what is recommended for the resin kit of the Z Class by Golden Arrow.

http://www.goldenarrow.me.uk/products.htm

Make sure you get a loco drive version though as many of them were tender drive.

Jason

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

Small, cheap (£12.50), 4 wheels and in need of drastic improvement to make a decent model. It's not a Hornby 0-4-0 though 😉

UE206_BOX.jpg.ff9f51b38001583a8902ad8670db12a2.jpg

Now stripped apart, various fittings and details applied (radiator bonnet and light from a Lledo van, horn from a Majorette lorry, barrel from a 1/35 Tamiya set, exhaust from sprue etc) to create a 1/32 15" home built shunting locomotive. Just got to regauge the chassis down to 12mm gauge now, have been told it can be done so it's happening. Once done, I've got two more to regauge to provide chassis for TT locomotives.

347275444_6215162931894640_4416466647631647233_n.jpg.fc673fc180e0de2cacbe707291948e69.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

As a addon to Rich Uncle Skeleton's 0-8-0 bodge and I know what I may say will be sacrilege to some people and possible financially foolhardy to others. But I have a Riverossi Bigboy from the 1970s  whose chassis has succumbed to mazak rot and is crumbling away. If I can find some way to mount a motor on each of its separate chassis that will give me 2x0-8-0 chassis. That is if I do not use the trucks.. I have tried to get a replacement chassis for the Bigboy with no luck. Hornby(Who now own Riverossi said they do not keep any spares that old). So I am open to any suggestions as to what engine bodies would look nice as a 0-8-0

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cypherman said:

So I am open to any suggestions as to what engine bodies would look nice as a 0-8-0

How about a ''shorty'' 0-8-0 version of Big Bertha/Emma. ? Maybe using a parallel boiler Scot body (or similar) 

I'm currently eyeing up a 9f chassis and a paralell boiler Scot body I have lying around to see what kind of marriage from hell I can come up with.

Regards, Rich

Edited by TinTracks
spellin
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, TinTracks said:

How about a ''shorty'' 0-8-0 version of Big Bertha/Emma. ? Maybe using a parallel boiler Scot body (or similar) 

I'm currently eyeing up a 9f chassis and a parallel boiler Scot body I have lying around to see what kind of marriage from hell I can come up with.

Regards, Rich

Hi Rich,

I did this with a H/D 2-6-4 tank body and 9F chassis. Think it looks quite good for use as a banking engine. It wasn't quite finished when I took the pictures. The body and buffers needed lowering a bit more and rear coupling needed to be put on. So your 9F and Scot body should be quite an eye catcher.

DSC_0906.JPG

DSC_0907.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 6