Southern Railway Modelling - Miscellaneous Project work

Jack P

I ended up removing the number on my re-numbered composite coach and applying it slightly further inboard than it was

25069901517_1b24a43656_b.jpg

Where did you get those transfers from, Jack? Fox or elsewhere?

Thanks guys, Appreciate it! Hopefully will make inroads with building my own stock so I can have a few items that are a little more unique than just RTR.

71000 Unfortunately i'm a bit big to fit inside a suitcase these days, Might be some cheap one way tickets??? (does this mean we will see a change of era for Basingstoke?). Truffy, yes, they are HMRS off the Bulleid Sheet.

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

Just a quick one today

39936459455_ab0c4f8e7a_b.jpg

Picked up a cheap O2, '30182', which was given the usual treatment. I also address the cab interior, as it comes it is a sort of banana yellow, so it was sprayed with Tamiya 'wooden deck tan' which looks cream enough to my eye.

40789284102_5df18c4245_b.jpg

40789284462_d3a0c760c2_b.jpg

Nothing super exciting, Waiting on a replacement detailing pack from Kernow, and it'll be done! LSWR seems to be the flavour of the month for me.

39936463125_35d26b0baa_b.jpg

Also gave it a light weathering, thoughts and comments are appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 16

Hey Alex,

They are a Roxey Moulding product, they come in an etched fret, Which reminds me I actually need to buy a few more. I use these on everything except the inside of fixed coaching rakes, where I use #18 Kadee's.

I'll try to remember to take some photos of the way I got them to fit into the O2. I fold them back against the inside of the buffer beam as much as possible, sometimes some trimming is required, but with a dab of superglue/araldite run along the mating surfaces this is yet to fail on me. The O2 had the added benefit of having the chassis a few mm away from the buffer beams on either end, so with some careful filing, the body is a sung fit and the hooks have no room to move even if the glue comes loose.

As for haulage capacity, if you refer to the photo below, this Bulleid Pacific has a hook mounted in the tender and showed no signs of any straining or issues with the attached 8 coach train. the train behind the T9, (which I must admit is simply posed for the photo) would be coupled with the screw links and has been run this way before with no issues. It does necessitate sprung buffers on some/all stock though as buffer lock is a real possibility on anything less than the widest curves.

I haven't done any massively extended period of running, maybe an hour (max) at one time, so I can't comment on the longevity of this solution.  Would probably be worth checking the actual coupling links from time to time to make sure they aren't splaying off the centre piece. 

Hopefully this answers your questions!

25760646677_2625e17883_b.jpg

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 14

Hey Jack,

Whose screw link couplings are you using? I think you've mentioned it before but I can't find it anywhere. And do you reckon they might be suitable for actual hauling? I only ask as I'm trying to avoid typical tension lock where I can on my layout, and I rather like the idea of using screw links where appropriate.

Loving all the work you're doing!

- Alex

In my experience, these and the not dissimilar items from Smiths are perfectly capable of use in service. They are used on my own layout, which has hills, on trains in excess of 2 metres, although I must add that my rolling stock is quite light, for example I take the weights out of RTR coaches to help with the gradients..

Its important to make sure the ends of the links are snug on the centre piece, and at the end of assembling them I find a careful squeeze with the tweezers does the trick.

There is another product by RT Models that allows for assembly of four part screw couplings, as used by the S.R., so with an additional link. I see no reason these shouldn't work in service either.

As can be seen from Jack's lovely photo, the appearance of the models is infinitely improved by getting rid of the ghastly tension locks!

Interesting looking at the O2 model above that there is a hook on the buffer beam on the offside of the coupling hook, and I think this was used for hanging couplings when not in use. I don't have an O2, but its the first time I've seen this feature on a 4mm model.

John.

• Like 1

Nothing exciting to add today, just a bit of weathering, still not sure about the results. Practicing on Black engines is great though, because if I really stuff IT up I can repaint them without much hassle.

40053062785_45fdd15254_b.jpg

40238736624_f17685c5cc_b.jpg

26074539647_a94cab14ca_b.jpg

26074540357_402f35e556_b.jpg

40238749934_ebb3c987ff_b.jpg

40238749624_d7a3bb1e80_b.jpg

The coach is due for a repaint anyways so just wanted to test a few things out on it. I'm considering getting some gloss varnish to weather over, any feedback or tips are greatly appreciated!

• Like 7

I25760646677_2625e17883_b.jpg

Great pic spoiled by WC apparently running wrong road.  N on a 2 coach local in late 1940s?   Lots of Hoppers small and large T9s etc for that sort of work before the late 40s early 50s purge.  Is there a link to this layout?

Edited by DavidCBroad

Great pic spoiled by WC apparently running wrong road.  N on a 2 coach local in late 1940s?   Lots of Hoppers small and large T9s etc for that sort of work before the late 40s early 50s purge.  Is there a link to this layout?

Only staged for this picture i'll mention! I do now realise I probably could've swapped the two other locos over. 

No thread sadly, this is the Club layout, it's 20+ years old. I might do a post on it if there is some interest though!

Nice set of photo's Jack, the black locos really look the part. What colours have you used? I'm trying to weather a black diesel and I'm not finding it easy I must admit! I think I've gone too far where as your loco's look understated, which I think, is an art to get right.  I really like the effects on the red buffer beam, looks fantastic.

Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I echo Steves comments on the locos Jack. Lovely subdued look to it all. A bit of 'oil' here and there goes well but don't over do it. Maybe a couple of thin streaks down the Westinhouse pumps?

I have just started doing coaches myself. I start by spraying the underframes with dark earth acrylic then powders over the top of that then seal with varnish.

The final thing is to polish the bodywork with a good car polish which gives a nice sheen.

Rob.

post-14122-0-85040000-1521700619_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-28288500-1521700687_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Jack,

This lot might help, at least with reducing the need to weather carriages a little !

Above: From the cab of what looks like a BR Standard class 4 2-6-4T. Looking back through the twin track carriage washing plant at Clapham Junction. Post 1957 as the BR Mk1 BSK behind the bunker is in green. 

Above: A more distant shot revealing the complete outline of this two track carriage washer as it was. 

Above: A helpful shot showing the position of the actual brushes in the steam era.

Above: A more recent shot, probably around the mid 1980's of the twiin track carriage washer. Seen in the distance under the original Clapham Junction "A" box. This is looking towards Waterloo from the "Windsor lines" platforms at Clapham Junction. The actual carriage sidings are immediately to the right of the camera, as they fanned out between the Windsor lines and Southampton (main) lines

The above photos 1-3 reveal that these tracks were not electrified at that time (Neither were the carriage sidings at Clapham in the steam era). The EMU's had their own twin track carriage washing plant at Wimbledon EMU depot about 4 miles south.

The important thing to note is the limit of the carriage washing equipment, which basically just dealt with the painted coach sides.

Coaching stock coming out of Waterloo as ECS (Empty coaching stock) was virtually always routed through the carriage washer. There was a small hut with at least one operative to switch the washer(s) on and off. The steam loco hauling the train was supposed to pass through before the washer was switched on. Although Bulleid had intended his "Spam Cans" to also be washed which was one reason for the profiled smooth sides of such locos. In the event it was found impractical to wash the Spam Cans this way, as water and detergent still got at parts of the motion removing the protective grease and oil, and therefore increasing wear and tear on the bearings.

Apart from the availability of a handful of these carriage washing plants at more important strategic locations (mainly in the electrified area). Hand cleaning by an army of carriage cleaners all over the Southern Railway network, even at far flung corners such as Padstow and Templecombe, was commonplace. The carriage cleaners also cleaned the painted coach sides using buckets and brooms with very long handles. Indeed most coaching stock got a wash and brush up at least once a week, in rural areas, and more frequently for the express stock which obviously came more frequently into the London area.

It was only at the end of the steam era, that BR began dispensing with exterior carriage cleaning by hand. Which soon began to cause a hue and outcry by the voiceciferous commuters. Who found the windows quickly becoming ingrained with brake block dust, so the outside world just became a murky haze.

In modelling terms this means coaching stock tended to be kept relatively clean. Although door hinges, handrails and other awkward lumps tended to mean patches of brake block coloured dirt would get ingrained close to these obsticles as neither the carriage washer or even a broom, were very good at getting into these awkward areas. Coach ends did get cleaned partially. For around a foot inwards from the corner.

Another important point, was that there was a rule, that a driver was not supposed to move a locomotive unless the drivers window (at least) was clean. So cab windows on all motive power really should be masked before weathering !!!

• Like 1

What colours have you used? I'm trying to weather a black diesel and I'm not finding it easy I must admit! I think I've gone too far where as your loco's look understated

Thanks Steve, I have an airbrush mix that I keep on the go, it's brown, grey and black, and its just added to when it gets low. Lots of dry brushing recently though, using a rust mig powder that I added to some black acrylic, and a healthy dose of thinners, greys, gunmetal, and some black are the main colours on the palette at the moment. Always looking to add colours and ideas, am going to try a few mig powders, and want to try out a few washes too!

The subtle looks is what I was going for, I use the airbrush, with only a tiny bit of spray and just go over the model, and make a few extra passes in areas, I have recently used the work printer to treat myself to a few good colour A4 pages of photos of dirty locos, and I use these as a guide every time.

Rob, thank you, and those look excellent! I'm still refining my colour choice for track dirt that's seen on coach underframes, what brand do you use? My only concern with the car polish, is that it'll take off the numbering and lettering, the SR coaches have a few of both that are quite small, have you had that problem?

Here's 2 more I did today, (the S15 before work, the N15 after)

40060781415_c125c868ec_b.jpg

27083628698_8defd5d2a5_b.jpg

As always, feedback, criticism and tips are welcome!

Cheers guys!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Bonjour.

I work with a resin polish and take it off really quick with a minimum of work. Here is a view or two of my King Arthur.......I really must finish it off.

Rob.

post-14122-0-63942900-1521785382.jpg

post-14122-0-34674900-1521785424.jpg

post-14122-0-15819900-1521785455.jpg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 6

One thing I'd suggest on the Arthurs is to tone down the injectors/ejectors under the cabside steps, infact unless they are recently shopped, they should be really putrid, same with the draincocks. Don't be afraid to make the motion work oily either, moving parts need lubrication after all. Hand rails and footsteps should be a bit shiny too, gunmetal powder or humbrol gunmetal metalcote is best for that. Overall though they look great mate.

Edited by Brocp
  • Like 2

Bonjour.

I work with a resin polish and take it off really quick with a minimum of work. Here is a view or two of my King Arthur.......I really must finish it off.

Rob.

This does look great.

When you say a "resin polish", does this mean applied to a cotton bud and gentle rubbing to create a shine? Some have suggested a liberal coat of "Kleer" or similar being applied, but your method, if its as I think, sounds far more controlable.

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Spot on John.

I use a small amount on a cotton bud using small circles to polish as per 4mm cleaners.

It can leave a white residue in nooks and crannies so care is needed but the effects speak for themselves.

Rob.

Small update,

Appreciate everyone giving feedback so far, lots of good tips too, so thanks again for those. Thanks 71000, those carriage washer pictures are great!

41007501651_ea0fdd6ce5_b.jpg

Parkside Kit-build, few details to be fitted once it's glazed and the body is secured to the chassis. This is going to be an air control van, I know the model isn't 100% accurate to the prototype, but from what i've seen, this is pretty close, just the planking on the ends AFAIK.

I Repainted this, painted the inside of the shell too, nearly impossible to see though! Undecided on a number yet. This is railmatch green, looks a lot lighter in pictures than in real life, where it is only a slightly different shade to the humbrol.

41007565141_0d8a5c125c_b.jpg

Also just a few more of some weathering attempts:

41007928951_ee101d602d_b.jpg

26137265737_8f103aa25c_b.jpg

40298326754_d00da00e31_b.jpg

That's all for now, thanks for reading!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 10

Wow I was thinking of having some SR locos running around my GWR line but now I think I need a school after the schooling

I'm on my phone so had to skip some of the more photo heavy pages till I get home but wow this is some cool stuff

• Like 2

Small update,

Appreciate everyone giving feedback so far, lots of good tips too, so thanks again for those. Thanks 71000, those carriage washer pictures are great!

41007501651_ea0fdd6ce5_b.jpg

Parkside Kit-build, few details to be fitted once it's glazed and the body is secured to the chassis. This is going to be an air control van, I know the model isn't 100% accurate to the prototype, but from what i've seen, this is pretty close, just the planking on the ends AFAIK.

I Repainted this, painted the inside of the shell too, nearly impossible to see though! Undecided on a number yet. This is railmatch green, looks a lot lighter in pictures than in real life, where it is only a slightly different shade to the humbrol.

41007565141_0d8a5c125c_b.jpg

Also just a few more of some weathering attempts:

41007928951_ee101d602d_b.jpg

26137265737_8f103aa25c_b.jpg

40298326754_d00da00e31_b.jpg

That's all for now, thanks for reading!

Nothing wrong with the Air Control Van that some BIG torpedo vents won't fix ..... and a selection of air pipes, of course.

When you're heavily weathering something that's not black, try putting a little of the base colour into the weathering mix - it'll tone-down the lettering a little as if the underlying paint is showing through ............. test it on something, of course, as odd effects can result ! 

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with the Air Control Van that some BIG torpedo vents won't fix ..... and a selection of air pipes, of course.

When you're heavily weathering something that's not black, try putting a little of the base colour into the weathering mix - it'll tone-down the lettering a little as if the underlying paint is showing through ............. test it on something, of course, as odd effects can result ! 

Heh, Torpedo vents on their way! Glazing was finished last night, looks pretty much the same though, plenty of air pipes ready and waiting to go. I appeciate the comments RE-weathering, I'm not all that happy with the schools class, it's a bit much I think (less is more), so more refinement is needed, but I have duly taken your feedback on board, the only issue I can see myself having is that the only malachite green I have is Enamel, and I use Acrylics for weathering..

Maybe I should start mixing my own paint, and change the title to ashford works? (can you tell it's late)

This little gem also arrived today

41030263912_c952be48d4_b.jpg

I do really like the olive green, but...

41030263142_9eb8c4f0f3_b.jpg

TBC

• Like 4

Thanks GWR Joe! Yeah, I decided quite early on I wanted to have the schools class well represented, I have 4 currently. I need 2 more to have filled the roster!

haha I am like this with the 0-6-0pt and the halls, kinda the castles, the Colletts....oh dear, 24 locos running and counting hahaha

• Like 1

If it was in SECR Wainwright I would be calling that sacrilege, but as it's in Maunsell you're just about excused...

I hope you mean that!

41053020822_d89493ab0d_b.jpg

Anyone with any suitable number suggestions - please let me know!

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 6