Channel 4 model railway challenge

Nearholmer

‘Congratulations to all those here who took part. I know that Jenny Emily and Payne Train did but I gather there were others as well.’

Cheers Pacific231G!

‘I did have one or two niggles. I don't like it when presenters are given authorship of the work of others; I could be wrong but I rather doubt whether Dick Strawbridge personally surveyed the route or chose the gauge and the motive power and "we" would have been more honest than "I" . ‘

In the moustachioed one’s defence, he had walked the route with the producers beforehand, identifying areas for different engineering challenges (such as bridges), so it wasn’t stretching it too far.

Agree with the rest of your comments, hopefully there will be more history of the line/attempts to build a line to come.

Edited by PayneTrain
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So far  - predictably cringe worthy, bunch of prats claiming their 15 mins of fame.  Not even using real model track

It's a bit like the apprentice with even more annoying individuals

Jim

Wow, I can’t believe that someone is naive enough (putting it politely!) to form an opinion concerning the character of those taking part having only seen a few clips on a program which has been made and edited to provide prime time entertainment. (Watching the apprentice candidates on the Your Fired program and seeing them interviewed live shows how different some can be to how they are portrayed in the main program).

Both me and SWMBO enjoyed the program, made for enjoyable Sunday eveing entertainment. Good to see a prime time TV program show model trains in an interesting and positive way

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

An interesting program, but a little slow. From what they have shown so far I suspect that it could have been shown over 3 episodes rather than 5.

• RMweb Gold

It was fun trying to identify the various RMwebbers......:-)

I thought that l recognized one or two faces!

the David Attenborough one is on iplayer, so I’ll watch that later..

.....and brilliant it was too.,

Watched 'Bushy Face' on +1 and found it a lot of enjoyable fun.

• Like 2

Oh dear. I'm delighted that those involved had a good time, but I just didn't enjoy it and won't be watching the rest of it. Pleased to note that a lot of you did enjoy it though and that's great.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear. I'm delighted that those involved had a good time, but I just didn't enjoy it and won't be watching the rest of it. Pleased to note that a lot of you did enjoy it though and that's great.

Where's your spirit of adventure Pete?, car crash TV is always worth watching.

Mike.

Dick the Tash is, at least, an actual former serving officer, with an actual honour (MBE) completely unrelated to his tv work, and an honorary Doctorate which probably DOES derive from his tv work.

The extruded track, with “grip strips” (did ALL the track have that, or was it just confined to the steeper sections?) seemed quite a good idea. They did at least have someone from the manufacturer, tasked with keeping the loco running - and even seeing the poor thing submerged (in the “coming next” section), if the loco was cold I don’t suppose it came to any lasting harm (would the RC unit have been detached for this? It seems only sensible that it would)

I’m not convinced about the bridge or the ferry, though. The bridge obviously lacked rigidity and could easily have been provided with some sort of longitudinal spine, say scaffold pole, without being excessively heavy; I’ve seen plenty of ad-hoc, temporary service crossings, carrying air pipes or water lines before now. I once saw one consisting of two dead-man anchors, with a wire in tension between; the “dead men” were those large wire-framed poly carboys you sometimes see containing chemicals, with the wire tensioned using a hand winch from a boat trailer...

Regarding the ferry, I’m sure that the expertise could be found amongst boat modellers to produce a quite serviceable ferry, although it would likely have been a barge, and lifting cradle. Editorial interference there, I fear..

Still, press on!

One interesting 'error' - at one stage one of the participants mentioned the Fat Controller as having been based on Teddy Boston. In actual fact, of course, it was the Fat Clergyman who was based on Teddy. The Fat Controller made his first appearance (as the Fat Director) long before Wilbert and Teddy first met.

Where's your spirit of adventure Pete?

Alive and well and looking forward to paragliding off a cliff in Mascarat in the very near future.

I think I'm just going "off" TV. Mid life crisis, methinks...

I have fond memories of Dick Strawbridge on telly when he used to make stuff like the miniature wave generator he built into a dustbin and then suspended over a sea wall. From memory it provided just enough juice to light a bulb in his caravan parked nearby.

OMG - maybe I'm just going "off" trains!!! There's a sobering thought...

:O

• RMweb Premium

I'll bet by the end of the series there will be a few people from outside model railways thinking I didn't know steam locos were that small and could be radio controlled.  I wonder if I could run one round the garden?  Or people that are already into model railways thinking , I could give live steam a go. From that point of view the manufacturers involvement with this (is it Roundhouse?) seems a smart move.

I am absolutely not an engineer but it seems to me driving the engine onto a model boat is not that smart . That's a lot of weight topside and not much ballast below. Remember even on a calm day radio controlled boats really bob about a bit with any sort of disturbance in the water .  Is the deal that the means to get across has to be powered?  if not what was wrong with using one of the pontoons and dragging the train on it under the railway and road bridges. Failing that, while not elegant , surely something out of a raft challenge , oil drums and planks would have been more stable than a model boat .  Will have to wait to see what transpires next week.

Actually its just dawned on me, while before I said it was passable, I realise I'm now hooked!

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

I missed the start. Why are life jackets needed for working on dry ground? I cycled along the Crinan Canal in summer - should we have been wearing them? Health and safety gone mad, I tell ye. Why, when I were a lad....

The trailer for the second episode showed a quad bike in the Canal, so it looks like the life jackets were vital equipment !

Edited by caradoc
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You obviously watched a different programme than I did.

I didn't realise there was another programme on model railways on last night. Can you say what channel it was, so that I can check if it's on catch-up, please?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, my wife Beverley & I enjoyed the programme. She was interested in how the teams worked together. OK maybe some of the participants came over as a bit gauche but to cut them some slack, they are not professional TV presenters. The banter & arguments were just like the average model railway club.

The technology choices were interesting too. Obviously the track was designed to be robust and practical rather than properly railway-like. I think that was sensible even if it did look a bit like a Mattel Hot-Wheels setup. A steam loco that needs refuelling every 20 minutes?  Hmm, I can see that getting a bit wearing after a while.

Will we watch next week?  Yes, we're hooked.  The characters and scenery make it good viewing.  There's a little bit of the false jeopardy that seems to be par for the course these days. Not overdone like in some other programmes.

It's refreshing to see that producers didn't feel the need to have the usual irritating recap after each ad break.

Mark

Edited by 2mmMark
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

They did at least have someone from the manufacturer, tasked with keeping the loco running

There are, of course, historical precedents for that, such as Fletcher Jennings sending an engineer to the newly-opened Talyllyn Railway to maintain the new locos and show the locals how they worked. He ended up becoming their full time locomotive superintendant, I believe.

• Like 1

The trailer for the second episode showed a quad bike in the Canal, so it looks like the life jackets were vital equipment !

Or a new driver for the quad bike... I thought the same about the life jackets... Overkill...

There are, of course, historical precedents for that, such as Fletcher Jennings sending an engineer to the newly-opened Talyllyn Railway to maintain the new locos and show the locals how they worked. He ended up becoming their full time locomotive superintendant, I believe.

The first railway in Germany (before it was called Germany!) got it's first engine from Britain and the driver came from over here as well, I believe, and settled and married over there!

• RMweb Premium

Rolled my eyes a bit at the lifejackets, but other than that it was a nice bit of light entertainment, I'll probably watch it next week. Interesting choice of background, using the Tay Bridge, since my initial reaction was "That's hardly the best choice to demonstrate the advantages of a box girder bridge!" but it was all followed through for a bit of a story. Talking of the bridge, was that decided for TV? A section that could be dropped over the lock gates in time for the train to pass would've been easier.

I suspect it was, same as the ferry boat section, both could have been avoided but were included to try to make better TV...

I was puzzled by the reference to them doing something the Victorians "couldn't" by building a railway down the Great Glen... Surely it wasn't that the Victorians couldn't do it (I'm sure they'd have had no problems doing it) but more the reason for not putting a railway down the glen was that there was no point... More of a case of a nowhere to nowhere railway (with respect to Inverness I'm sure they would prefer to be connected to Perth than Fort William!)...

Edited by Hobby

• RMweb Premium

I suspect it was, same as the ferry boat section, both could have been avoided but were included to try to make better TV...

I was puzzled by the reference to them doing something the Victorians "couldn't" by building a railway down the Great Glen... Surely it wasn't that the Victorians couldn't do it (I'm sure they'd have had no problems doing it) but more the reason for not putting a railway down the glen was that there was no point... More of a case of a nowhere to nowhere railway (with respect to Inverness I'm sure they would prefer to be connected to Perth than Fort William!)...

There was a lot of railway politics going on with companies not wanting other companies to get from Fort William to Inverness, they seemed rather keen on the idea of getting that link. They did pretty much end up with a railway to nowhere though (sorry Fort Augustus!)

The whole of the Victorian era was Railway Politics! It was more that they implied the Victorians "couldn't" build the railway and they were doing something they couldn't do... Which is rather false as there's nothing particular on that stretch which would have prevented building a line if the Victorians had wanted to... It's more of "it wasn't worth it" rather than "impossible to build", I'd have thought?

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1