Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

I had 37158 substituting for an HST from Bristo Parkway to Paddington once in the late 80s. Obviously eth wasn't a factor but it put in a great show and was far better than the following HST that I was expecting to catch.

I guess the moral is that even at that stage there were still "spare" sets to provide substitute services - they could run every day on KR if you like!

• Like 1

When was it? 37412 came down to the WR from Scotland still with name and Westie dog and along with 37411 was a regular on the Saturday loco hauled Bristol -Weymouth turn, so could have been in the area, though what it would have been working in Plymouth I've no idea, unless a diesel leg of a steam special?

I've just found a pic taken at about the same time,(possibly 88 / 89, when I lived at Buckfastleigh) at Plymouth North Road with Scottie Dog 47655 at the helm, again going North Bound and had arrived from Penzance I think.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Totem time!  Now I cannot remember if we said what you wanted on the totem ... and if we didn't my mental-telepathy wasn't working tonight and couldn't read your mind!  Also didn't think you (or rather your good lady) would appreciate a phone call at 11pm to find out!!

So I've provided you with four versions, which hopefully do the job - but if not, just shout out and I can easily and quickly amend them to anything you want.

I think No. 1 looks the best, No. 2 is probably authentic in the LMR style, although I'm not an expert on these things so others can probably tell us how it would have been done, and 3 is provided for variation, but I don't like it - the letters are two small and thin to be right!  Also provided one for Much Dddddddithering - sorry been watching old Arkwright tonight and I ssssseam to be ssssss, ssssss, sssssss well you can guess can't you!  Happy to change/tweak/redo these as you wish :)

post-16721-0-19668000-1495405952_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-51845800-1495405956_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-26537900-1495405961_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-77586900-1495405966_thumb.jpg

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 5

Hi Andy,

Totem time!  Now I cannot remember if we said what you wanted on the totem ... and if we didn't my mental-telepathy wasn't working tonight and couldn't read your mind!  Also didn't think you (or rather your good lady) would appreciate a phone call at 11pm to find out!!

So I've provided you with four versions, which hopefully do the job - but if not, just shout out and I can easily and quickly amend them to anything you want.

I think No. 1 looks the best, No. 2 is probably authentic in the LMR style, although I'm not an expert on these things so others can probably tell us how it would have been done, and 3 is provided for variation, but I don't like it - the letters are two small and thin to be right!  Also provided one for Much Dddddddithering - sorry been watching old Arkwright tonight and I ssssseam to be ssssss, ssssss, sssssss well you can guess can't you!  Happy to change/tweak/redo these as you wish :)

attachicon.gifKingsley Road v1.jpg

attachicon.gifKingsley Road v2.jpg

attachicon.gifKingsley Road v3.jpg

attachicon.gifMuch Dithering.jpg

Rich

Morning Rich, Thanks mate, really appreciated, It will be the FIRST ONE as KR is set just North of Oxford, hence the Traffic to and from Bicester from the GCR and Southern via Reading, Didcot and Oxford, (think just north of Oxford Rewley Road / LNWR, but as a Through Station).

Much Dithering is the WR BLT set in  / around the Woodstock / Blenheim area.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Your Welcome. Ah! Being set Northof Oxford is a good reason not for having Bristol on it!! I couldn't quiet remember where your setting for this was, and couldn't immediately find it on the thread.

Pleased they are ok tho.

Rich

• Like 1

Thanks Andrew, I wonder what the LL Scottie Dog 37 was doing North Bound at Plymouth then?

As with all / most of my running Rule #1 will appy.

Thanks for the info.

Depends on what year it was Andy,

When the Scottish 37/4 lost their work due to Sprinters taking over some were transferred South and worked out of Cardiff. They would have turned up at Bristol so one could have worked to Plymouth.

I saw 37408 at Weymouth late 80 early 90s.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-05721700-1495451475_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Depends on what year it was Andy,

When the Scottish 37/4 lost their work due to Sprinters taking over some were transferred South and worked out of Cardiff. They would have turned up at Bristol so one could have worked to Plymouth.

I saw 37408 at Weymouth late 80 early 90s.

Cheers Peter.

That would make a lot more sense Peter, it was probably a Penzance / Bristol or Cardif Service then.

Cheers for the pic, yet another beauty.

That would make a lot more sense Peter, it was probably a Penzance / Bristol or Cardif Service then.

Cheers for the pic, yet another beauty.

More than likely Bristol - Plymouth.  Bristol used to chuck out all sorts of motive power during the Summer months when there were extra trains.

The Scottish Duffs did get everywhere so not surprised you would have seen one at Plymouth. Don't forget Peaks too Andy. they used to get about a bit not the most common motive power in the Oxford area but I saw a few at Reading back in the day. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

If the scenario includes the GC not closing (and why wouldn't it?), then anything from Sheffield & Nottingham would be fair game.

Just about the only thing that might be a little far fetched would be Deltics. And electric locos/ units.

• Like 1

If the scenario includes the GC not closing (and why wouldn't it?), then anything from Sheffield & Nottingham would be fair game.

Just about the only thing that might be a little far fetched would be Deltics. And electric locos/ units.

That's GOOD as I have NO liking for either Deltics or Electrics, so as you say, most will be fair game, so my B1 will be fine, and maybe a Robinson 04 or an 01 and / or 02 as well later.

I also Love the V2's, K1 and K3's as well.?

Same with the Southern stuff, I have a Q1 and a Schools, an ''N'' and a couple of Green and Blue 33's plus the Bulleids.

TBH I don't really care, I will run the type's I like, hence running LL 37, 47's and 50's with 70's Brown Vans etc.

• Like 4

That's GOOD as I have NO liking for either Deltics or Electrics, so as you say, most will be fair game, so my B1 will be fine, and maybe a Robinson 04 or an 01 and / or 02 as well later.

I also Love the V2's, K1 and K3's as well.?

BOO HOO!, that's you off the christmas card list Mr P :jester:

Sight redemption for the steamers though :locomotive:

I've just found a pic taken at about the same time,(possibly 88 / 89, when I lived at Buckfastleigh) at Plymouth North Road with Scottie Dog 47655 at the helm, again going North Bound and had arrived from Penzance I think.

Guys,

Don't know if this helps but 47 655 was one of the batch fitted with long range tanks (they were eventually re-numbered as 47/8s) and had a working during the later 80s on the Glasgow-Plymouth sleepers throughout...Plymouth Laira then used the loco to do a return Plymouth-Penzance with Mk1s during the day before they headed back up North...used to go and watch it through Taunton when I was living there 89-93....

Scottish 37/4s were allocated to various freight duties following sprinterisation which moved them all over the country - my favourites in addition to those mentioned allocated to Laira's St Blazey pool was 37 425 out of Westbury on construction traffic - again Westie logo and name...

Keep up the good work Andy - really enjoying the layout, sir!!!

• Like 1

Guys,

Don't know if this helps but 47 655 was one of the batch fitted with long range tanks (they were eventually re-numbered as 47/8s) and had a working during the later 80s on the Glasgow-Plymouth sleepers throughout...Plymouth Laira then used the loco to do a return Plymouth-Penzance with Mk1s during the day before they headed back up North...used to go and watch it through Taunton when I was living there 89-93....

Scottish 37/4s were allocated to various freight duties following sprinterisation which moved them all over the country - my favourites in addition to those mentioned allocated to Laira's St Blazey pool was 37 425 out of Westbury on construction traffic - again Westie logo and name...

Keep up the good work Andy - really enjoying the layout, sir!!!

Great bit of info Jonathan, and thanks for looking in.

Cheers.

Here's a photo of my Photo, back in those days, I wasn't into getting Numbers or taking my Camera with me, it was the pre Digital age when you had to pay for developing, and TBH I didn't think it important, but obviously knowing what we all know now, I wish I had taken it to Brent and Totnes etc when we lived in Buckfastleigh.

You can see from the quality of the Photo why I didn't bother much with photos. It must have been in the afternoon as I was trying to get the sun behind me I think.

Plymouth North Road, North Bound about 88 / 89 I would guess.

post-9335-0-05171500-1495526440_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Sorry to hijack your thread but I just wanted to say to all you UK modellers that I hope and pray that you and your loved ones especially your kids and grandkids (having regard to your likely ages) are safe.

It is a crazy world we live in.  Stay safe people

Andy

Sorry to hijack your thread but I just wanted to say to all you UK modellers that I hope and pray that you and your loved ones especially your kids and grandkids (having regard to your likely ages) are safe.

Hi Andy,

I was only at Victoria Station on Saturday so count myself fortunate to follow railways and not music, so very sad for all the affected families.

Andy

Thanks Bogie for that, and as far as I know, I have no Family and Friends caught up in the atrocities in Manchester.

• Like 2

Back on Topic, and although it's been mainly Gardening again today I did have a couple of Hours in TOPS.

I wasn't happy with the Layout of the BLT at Much Dithering so I've been moving things around somewhat, the Dairy may now go behind the Platform as t did on Porth Merryn, and I've added about 3 inches to the width of the board at that section to allow more room for the Coal Yard and ensure it doesn't look cluttered.

Some pics will be forthcoming once I'm happy with it and it's laid.

• Like 4

Morning all, Well in answer to George's question above, I've managed to do some bits, Firstly the rest of Backscene is now fitted, all these are Drop in apart from the Door lift out section.

post-9335-0-38661000-1495715043_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-72826400-1495715070_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-67555400-1495715102_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

And I'm now happier with Much Dithering, I've added a little to widen the Board so as not to cram up the Goods Yard, and leave room for Buildings. The Ballaster and Pencil represents the Yard Crane.

post-9335-0-85972200-1495715328_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-24816600-1495715350_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-43127500-1495715379_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-27758600-1495715410_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-87406800-1495715437_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-94393400-1495715464_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-06494400-1495715488_thumb.jpg

NOTE = The Platform may well end up with a curve at the entry end for a sweeter approach.

EDIT = IT HAS.....SEE BELOW

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 15

And I'm now happier with Much Dithering, I've added a little to widen the Board so as not to cram up the Goods Yard, and leave room for Buildings. The Ballaster and Pencil represents the Yard Crane.

attachicon.gifMuch Dithering 2 004.JPG

attachicon.gifMuch Dithering 2 005.JPG

attachicon.gifMuch Dithering 2 006.JPG

attachicon.gifMuch Dithering 2 007.JPG

attachicon.gifMuch Dithering 2 008.JPG

attachicon.gifMuch Dithering 2 009.JPG

attachicon.gifMuch Dithering 2 010.JPG

NOTE = The Platform may well end up with a curve at the entry end for a sweeter approach.

Andy

I like what you are donig here... but

If you took the milk siding off the 1st point, you could then take the platform line off the 2nd point, but on the line of the loop as is now. That could give you room for a slightly longer platform. At the moment you seem to have more than half of the platform taken up by the crossover.

Its just a thought, and I know it may look quite different in real life, so if you deceide to stay with what you have, I'd vote for the curved platform.

All the best

ALL CHANGE. :O

The Curved Platform has gone in, I cant move the Point as Tony suggested as it reduces the Run around area for 2 x Mk 1's

post-9335-0-72724300-1495728744_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-55281500-1495728765_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-51768100-1495728785_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-84925100-1495728806_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-58234900-1495728836_thumb.jpg

Much more BLT like.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 14

ALL CHANGE. :O

The Curved Platform has gone in, I cant move the Point as Tony suggested as it reduces the Run around area for 2 x Mk 1's

attachicon.gifMuch Dithering 3 001.JPG

attachicon.gifMuch Dithering 3 002.JPG

attachicon.gifMuch Dithering 3 003.JPG

attachicon.gifMuch Dithering 3 004.JPG

attachicon.gifMuch Dithering 3 005.JPG

Much more BLT like.

That looks better, has a better flow about it now.

Not so angular.

Is the siding with the coal wagons in going to be longer?

That looks better, has a better flow about it now.

Not so angular.

Is the siding with the coal wagons in going to be longer?

Thanks Kevin, yes I'm really pleased with the look and flow now.

Re the Coal Siding, I'm going to be making it about 4 inches longer ( I was going to anyway) but now also adding an End Loading Dock at the end of it.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2