The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Old films I've never seen

locomad

• RMweb Gold

Back to this topic thanks to discovering "Talking TV" freeview Ch 81, funny enough quite a few films mentioned in these threads are now on TV, one on at moment is "Web of evidence", which is the American name for one of those grim up north films.

Worth checking out record button quite a few I've not seen coming up

It's a real shame that Talking Pictures is ghettoed in the HD section of Freeview. It's not an HD channel and deserves a much wider audience.

There's plenty of other makeweight non-HD channels that could be exchanged for it, all the shopping, religious, adult and +1 shite channels for a start.

Some real gems on Talking Pictures plus all the small "Glimpses" short films which are fascinating.  They don't have the rights to the well known films which is good because lots of lesser known films are being screened, some in restored formats which are amazingly crisp.

I got a £20 HD box simply to get Talking Pictures because our Toshiba PVR can't get HD and just after setting it up, the film "Dateline Diamonds" came on, in which the opening sequence is of Harwich Docks and a Hunslet 0-6-0 shunting on the dock railway.

Incidentally, the box is the August DVB400 and it has a lot of frustrating quirks but it can record onto a USB stick which makes it easy to capture and convert the programmes to DVD.

Mark

• Like 1

Back to this topic, excellent TV channel this taking pictures freeview 81, there's been a decent film on every day.

Excellent one tonight I've never seen before but heard much about " Night my number came up" classic aeroplane lost type film full of British film stars, just forgotten about.

Does anyone know if they repeat these films? I've missed a few

I think that they do repeat at least some films. Web of Evidence, shown last week is being repeated on Sept. 2nd. for example and Stagecoach West has a couple of broadcast slots. I think you;d have to trawl their schedule to find any specific repeats.

Back to this topic, excellent TV channel this taking pictures freeview 81, there's been a decent film on every day.

Excellent one tonight I've never seen before but heard much about " Night my number came up" classic aeroplane lost type film full of British film stars, just forgotten about.

Does anyone know if they repeat these films? I've missed a few

Yes, having previously looked in advance on the TV guide, it seems sometimes they are repeated a few times over the course of a couple of weeks, sometimes it seems to be shown once, the repeated a couple of week later. Currently there's been Stagecoach West repeated almost every day!

Saw the last hour of "Night my number came up" last night. The ending baffled me, so I had to Google it to find out what it was about! Still not all that much the wiser - will have to look out for a repeat now, so as to see the beginning!

Edited by Coppercap

Talking Pictures is not on Freeview, it is on Freeview+

No, it's not.  Freeview+ was the name used for a while for Freeview boxes with recording capability.  The name was chosen deliberately to make people realise that they did the same job as the Sky+ boxes (though for Freeview, obviously, rather than Sky) which were very popular at the time.  Freeview+ has been more or less superseded now by Freeview Play, which includes the "backwards EPG" feature for viewing catch-up content on BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 and My5 without having to fire up a separate app for each one.  Both Freeview+ and Freeview Play refer to equipment with recording and/or catch-up capabilities in addition to broadcast reception.

Talking Pictures is broadcast on a Freeview HD multiplex, although it isn't an HD channel.  That means that you need a Freeview HD set-top box or TV to receive it through a UHF aerial: the HD multiplexes cannot be received on non-HD Freeview kit.  The HD multiplexes have significantly more bandwidth available than the non-HD ones, specifically to cater for HD channels which need the higher bandwidth.  However, the demand for the multiplex capacity for HD channels hasn't been as great as expected, so some of the spare capacity is being sold to non-HD channels.  A non-HD channel takes up proportionately much less of an HD multiplex than it does of a non-HD multiplex (everything else being equal) so you can get more such channels on an HD multiplex without having to squeeze the video resolution or audio quality (as happens on the non-HD, non-public service multiplexes such as the SDN and Arqiva-owned ones where a lot of the +1 channels live).  In that sense, it's probably a good thing that Talking Pictures TV is broadcast on an HD multiplex - apart from for people who can't receive the HD multiplexes.

On Sky FreeView, it is towards the end of the films category

There's no such thing as "Sky Freeview".  They do (or did, I think they no longer actively market it) have an offering called "Freesat from Sky" which, on purchase of a viewing card, allowed access to a number of free-to-view satellite channels in addition to the free-to-air channels offered by the 100% fee-free and subscription-free Freesat service.  Talking Pictures TV is on Freesat (not "Freesat from Sky") channel 306.

There is a view that Sky chose the name for their 'free' service with an eye to creating confusion with the nascent Freeview terrestrial and Freesat satellite services, during the run-up to analogue terrestrial TV being switched off.

Only just found this Thread & don't know if anyone has commented on the above Post. Talking Pictures TV is available on Channel 81 on standard Freeview as long as you have an HD-ready TV.

You do not need an HD Ready TV to watch Talking Pictures TV.  "HD Ready" means that the TV's screen can display 1280×720 pixel HD content; there was another term "Full HD" which meant that the screen could display 1920×1080 pixel content.  Neither term conveys anything about what broadcast signals the TV can receive.  This was a source of widespread confusion to consumers ever since the terms were dreamed up in some marketing department somewhere, before the days when HD reception became more or less a standard feature in TVs - at least modern "big screen" TVs.  No-one really knows how many people thought that they were watching 'HD TV' when in fact they were just watching standard definition broadcasts upscaled within the TV to fit its high-resolution screen.  In the early days, the only mainstream sources of true HD content were Sky HD for broadcast content, and Blu-ray (or, before its demise, HD DVD) discs.

Talking Pictures TV is not an HD channel, it uses the standard definition 576 pixel vertical resolution which pretty much any TV sold from around the late 1960s onwards can display.  (The 576 pixel vertical resolution is based on the old "625 lines" UHF TV pioneered, in the UK at least, by BBC2.  The missing 50-odd "lines" were not used for picture in analogue TV - they were actually made use of by the later Teletext system to carry the digital information used by that system, encoded in to the picture signal.)

What you do need to receive Talking Pictures TV is a TV or separate set-top box capable of receiving either:

• the Freeview HD multiplexes - which use a higher-bandwidth digital terrestrial broadcast technology compared to the original Freeview (DVB-T2 vs DVB-T, if you want the actual terminology), or
  • the free-to-air satellite channels - which means either a Sky box (which doesn't need to have a viewing card installed if you only want to watch the free-to-air channels, which include Talking Pictures TV), a Freesat set-top box, or a Freesat capable TV.
Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Talking Pictures do re-show some of their films after a few months as I'm now beginning to spot films I've seen before.  "Conflict of Wings", filmed partly where I used to live in Ludham, Norfolk has been repeated recently.  

One other thing to point out is if your terrestrial TV comes from a "PSB" relay your Freeview signal may not contain the so called "commercial" multiplexes and you won't be able to get Talking Pictures.  My terrestrial signal comes from Arfon, a relay of Llandonna, and although Llandonna has a full fat Freeview service, Arfon broadcasts the basic "Freeview Light" service and the HD stream carries just the BBC, ITV, C4 and C5.  Fortunately I have dustbin lid TV so I get TPTV through the wok but I know others elsewhere in the country who get a signal from a relay can't get TPTV as it is on one of the "commercial" HD feeds.

Saw the last hour of "Night my number came up" last night. The ending baffled me, so I had to Google it to find out what it was about! Still not all that much the wiser - will have to look out for a repeat now, so as to see the beginning!

I think it's a brilliant film, one of those "Fear of flying films", to get the plot and I think it's a good one you have to watch it from the very beginning. Quite a few famous actors of the time Michael Regrave for one.

Very much like the James Stewart one where he thinks the tail is going to break off, the designs aeroplanes, he's on board and tries to convince other passengers it's going too.

I think it's a brilliant film, one of those "Fear of flying films", to get the plot and I think it's a good one you have to watch it from the very beginning. Quite a few famous actors of the time Michael Regrave for one.

Very much like the James Stewart one where he thinks the tail is going to break off, the designs aeroplanes, he's on board and tries to convince other passengers it's going too.

That's No Highway in the Sky. That's a good one. My dad worked at Farnborough where it was based, although he was there many years later.

I keep looking forward to see if Cone of Silence is going to be repeated.

That's No Highway in the Sky. That's a good one. My dad worked at Farnborough where it was based, although he was there many years later.

I keep looking forward to see if Cone of Silence is going to be repeated.

Cone of silence often gets repeated on Talking Pictures TV which I get on my freesat. I think some freeview and other satellite areas get it as well.

There is another film but I can't remember the name of it now but has loads of Bristol Freighters in it. About a company trying to sell the aircraft and a test flight goes wrong so the pilot has to fly around the airfield for hours to get the weight down for landing.

Edited by jetmorgan

• RMweb Gold

Cone of silence often gets repeated on Talking Pictures TV which I get on my freesat. I think some freeview and other satellite areas get it as well.

There is another film but I can't remember the name of it now but has loads of Bristol Freighters in it. About a company trying to sell the aircraft and a test flight goes wrong so the pilot has to fly around the airfield for hours to get the weight down for landing.

The Man in the Sky/Decision Against Time.  Starred Jack Hawkins and Donald Pleasance amongst others, with Wolverhampton Pendeford Airport in best supporting role, plus a Wolverhampton Fire Brigade Bedford S fire tender in an uncredited role.  The Bristol Frightener which took on the role of the "Wulfrun" aircraft was supplied by Silver City Airways.  There's even a Wolverhampton Corporation Roe bodied trolleybus in one scene.

Great film.  There's a good little YouTube showreel of the locations in the film and how they are now at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emvO9yq42Ik

It was repeated, it seems, every few days a month or so ago, but it's not been on for a while. I keep looking at the TV guide, and will set the recorder when it's on next (hopefully)!  I can get Talking Pictures on normal Freeview (Mendip transmitter).    

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Man In the Sky, starring Jack Hawkins, a Bristol Frightener and Pendeford Airport, Wolverhampton, is showing again this Sunday on Squawking Pictures at 4pm, just in case you fancy a watch.

The Man In the Sky, starring Jack Hawkins, a Bristol Frightener and Pendeford Airport, Wolverhampton, is showing again this Sunday on Squawking Pictures at 4pm, just in case you fancy a watch.

Thanks for letting us know.

Worth checking "squawking pics" been some very good one recently which I've never seen before, one yesterday about east German air hostess stuck in East Germany after the war quite gripping

Talking of Jack Hawkins, I've recently bought 'The Long Arm' on DVD, there's been some chat about the locations used over on one of the BR facebook groups, a few places were banded about until we settled on Windsor & Eton station. It's a cracking little film, well worth a punt... the Leamington Spa / Stafford / Crewe fingerboards in the first pic are fake props, as Jack Hawkins was supposedly on his way to Brum...

post-7638-0-19094900-1505996625_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-46609400-1505996649_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-06263700-1505996671_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-83649100-1505996686_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

"Villain" 1970 British gangster movie staring Richard Burton, with Ian MacShane and a host of other well known actors, not quite as good as "Get Carter" but still an excellent film.

Based in London about 1970, there are some excellent railway shots round London including Acton and southern electrics typical street scenes including some good car chases using British classic cars of the period, like rovers mags and capris

What I liked was it was shot in colour and the quality was excellent very clear and bright

It was on "squawking pics" last night

Another never seen film tonight, myself some reason they getting better "Floodtide" 1949, really good grim up north film set on the Clyde about young ship designer (Gordon Jackson) falling in love with boss daughter, very much like "Room at top" but a good decade before. Great shots of ship building, railways etc of the day also starred John Laurie (dad's army fame).

Bound to be repeated squawking pictures, for some reason just about ever mate I meet my age seemed to have watched something on this channel

"Villain" 1970 British gangster movie staring Richard Burton, with Ian MacShane and a host of other well known actors, not quite as good as "Get Carter" but still an excellent film.

Based in London about 1970, there are some excellent railway shots round London including Acton and southern electrics typical street scenes including some good car chases using British classic cars of the period, like rovers mags and capris

What I liked was it was shot in colour and the quality was excellent very clear and bright

It was on "squawking pics" last night

This has long been one of my favourite films and for me is just as good as Get Carter, both being shot in the Summer of '70 and released in '71, but Get Carter has much more of a following. The casting and locations used are both top notch, a few years ago some pals and I did a tour of some of them and we found the 'plastics factory' in Bracknell which hadn't changed much, but the surrounding area has been built up quite a lot since 1970. The same location was also used a couple of years later in the Sean Connery film 'The Offence'. We also took advantage of the boozer used by Richard Burton's mob in Kentish Town, 'The Assembly Rooms' right next to the railway, during filming Liz Taylor was behind the bar pulling pints for the cast and crew. We also found the footbridge which spans the Acton to Kew line (I sign the route now which is nice), where Burton and John Hallam switched from the Ford Zephyr to the Rover P5B Coupe, this same Rover 'HXC 802H' was passed on to the production team of 'The Persuaders as soon as 'Villain' had wrapped up to be used in the episode 'The Morning After'. Sadly it no longer exists but the Wood & Pickett Mk2 Cooper S seen at the beginning is still around (it's being restored at the moment)...

post-7638-0-85895800-1507111851_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-71081100-1507112055_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-58356200-1507112086_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-91222000-1507112127_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-79162400-1507112217_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-11072000-1507112267_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-10306700-1507112335_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-19628400-1507112384_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-89777200-1507112425_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-79083100-1507112454_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-95929400-1507112514_thumb.jpg

The silver Mk2 Cortina 'XPH 563G' seen parked in front of the Landrover also still exists, a mate of mine who's seriously into old Fords came across it at a car show a while back...

post-7638-0-41399800-1507112578_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-81786100-1507112706_thumb.jpg

The finale at Nine Elms... there is some out take footage on youtube from this sequence showing a Warship passing on the viaduct...

post-7638-0-04290000-1507112771_thumb.jpg

On our little locations jaunt we had a look at the arches and worked out which one the loot was stashed in, alas it was gone...!

post-7638-0-14176600-1507112957_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-61814000-1507113010_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-44469100-1507113108_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

Pleased to see that he's weilding the discerning British villain's weapon of choice, the pick axe handle, rather than the US ruffians, somewhat classless, bit of wood, the baseball bat.

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 3

Another never seen film tonight, myself some reason they getting better "Floodtide" 1949, really good grim up north film set on the Clyde about young ship designer (Gordon Jackson) falling in love with boss daughter, very much like "Room at top" but a good decade before. Great shots of ship building, railways etc of the day also starred John Laurie (dad's army fame).

Bound to be repeated squawking pictures, for some reason just about ever mate I meet my age seemed to have watched something on this channel

The Flood Tide that was shown on Talking Pictures was a 1934 River Thames story, not the 1949 one you mention. What I liked in it was the scenes of the Thames sailing barges racing in large numbers, having seen a programme only the other day about the surviving Thames sailing barges, and with them having a race in the Thames estuary. It  must have been quite a superb sight to have seen that in real life.

Edited by Coppercap

The Flood Tide that was shown on Talking Pictures was a 1934 River Thames story, not the 1949 one you mention. What I liked in it was the scenes of the Thames sailing barges racing in large numbers, having seen a programme only the other day about the surviving Thames sailing barges, and with them having a race in the Thames estuary. It  must have been quite a superb sight to have seen that in real life.

Well there's two "Floodtide"s I've seen the Thames one you mentioned on you tube sometime back, the 1949 one was shown yesterday, Gordon Jackson played the young ship designer, it's mentioned on the IMDb as well. I've a hard copy on the disc thing and might be worth watching again.

Excellent scenes of the Clyde, ship launch, rivit shop, trams, railways, tenamemt blocks, happy ending too

Well there's two "Floodtide"s I've seen the Thames one you mentioned on you tube sometime back, the 1949 one was shown yesterday, Gordon Jackson played the young ship designer, it's mentioned on the IMDb as well. I've a hard copy on the disc thing and might be worth watching again.

Excellent scenes of the Clyde, ship launch, rivit shop, trams, railways, tenamemt blocks, happy ending too

They must have shown both then! I recorded it (the 1934 film) - it was on early last Saturday morning.  I'll have to go through the TV guide to see if the 1949 one's on over the next week.