Walthers Mainline Dash 8 40-B

Hi all, I am a newcomer to US H0 modelling and recently purchased the CSX version of the above sound fitted loco. When I received it it would run for about 2 feet, then stop, with all sound, lights etc going off. I removed the shell and soldered all the contacts round the circuit board, doing away with the clips on the wires. This improved it dramatically but, even after cleaning the wheels and track, it still occasionally stops. I now want to clean the pickups, but can't see any. I figure I need to dismantle the trucks but can't work out how. The instruction sheet is no use in this respect, showing only the truck assembly as one piece. Anyone out there point me in the right direction please?

My advice would have been to avoid the Walthers version and buy the Atlas version which would have given you an excellent locomotive. We have all done this and after my first mistake I now look at the Model I want and check If it is sold by Athearn Genesis, Athearn RTR, Bowser, Atlas, Atlas Trainman, Intermountain, Walthers Proto 2000, Overland (brass and expensive) or Fox Valley. I then look at reviews and make a desision from there .

Cheers

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, I am a newcomer to US H0 modelling and recently purchased the CSX version of the above sound fitted loco. When I received it it would run for about 2 feet, then stop, with all sound, lights etc going off. I removed the shell and soldered all the contacts round the circuit board, doing away with the clips on the wires. This improved it dramatically but, even after cleaning the wheels and track, it still occasionally stops. I now want to clean the pickups, but can't see any. I figure I need to dismantle the trucks but can't work out how. The instruction sheet is no use in this respect, showing only the truck assembly as one piece. Anyone out there point me in the right direction please?

If you can put a picture or two on here then I or someone who knows more may be able to answer.

Archived