TPWS grid (loop) for O Gauge

Pete 75C

I need to reproduce this...

post-17811-0-10392100-1484914733_thumb.jpg

...in O gauge. Now, I'm thinking that it can be made using very small square section microstrip. I know grids in 4mm scale are available as etches, 3D printed items, and also injection moulded by Peco. Is anyone aware of one available in 7mm scale? I've drawn a blank, so making one from scratch would seem the only option unless anyone knows different? Thanks.

Edited by Pete 75C

There was a layout, modern image East Anglia I think, where the builder had the simplest track plan, but lots of details, including, I think...

Unfortunately, whilst I recall the layout, the name eludes me. It was in RM, and on line somewhere...

Sorry to be vague.

Best

Simon

There was a layout, modern image East Anglia I think, where the builder had the simplest track plan, but lots of details, including, I think...

Unfortunately, whilst I recall the layout, the name eludes me. It was in RM, and on line somewhere...

Sorry to be vague.

Best

Simon

Simon, the layout you're thinking of is 'Cromer'. Simple in design but right down to the finest detail. Saw it once at a show where my friend who also works on the railways and I were very impressed with the working SPAD indicators when the operator made a mess of things!

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

Simon, the layout you're thinking of is 'Cromer'. Simple in design but right down to the finest detail. Saw it once at a show where my friend who also works on the railways and I were very impressed with the working SPAD indicators when the operator made a mess of things!

Cheers,

Andrew

An excellent layout, complete with scratchbuilt 153s.

Chris Turnbull's Cromer: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74024-cromer-modern-image-o-gauge/

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I need to reproduce this...

attachicon.giftpws.jpg

...in O gauge. Now, I'm thinking that it can be made using very small square section microstrip. I know grids in 4mm scale are available as etches, 3D printed items, and also injection moulded by Peco. Is anyone aware of one available in 7mm scale? I've drawn a blank, so making one from scratch would seem the only option unless anyone knows different? Thanks.

Peter Clark does them I don't know if they are identical to your photo but a close representation if it helps.

I know grids in 4mm scale are available as etches, 3D printed items, and also injection moulded by Peco.

(My Red Highlighting)

'Grids', what are 'Grids'? They should only ever be called TPWS 'Loops' :nono:  ;)  :)

Don't worry, its a mistake that everyone (including PECO) makes, although they do look like grids, all the official documentation and terminology used within the UK is Loops, some might call them Grids, but their official name is a pair of TPWS loops.

Simon

Simon, the layout you're thinking of is 'Cromer'.

An excellent layout indeed and quite fitting that I'm thinking of modelling the "other" end, Sheringham, although it will be a non-working diorama, just to get a feel for 7mm.

Peter Clark does them I don't know if they are identical to your photo but a close representation if it helps.

Stop helping me out! Really, it's becoming a habit, after the square-headed bolts! Seriously, many thanks for that. I've found the website and they look very, very similar to what I need. I think if I tried to scratchbuild them with microstrip, they would end up a tad overscale.

'Grids', what are 'Grids'? They should only ever be called TPWS 'Loops' :nono:  ;)  :)

Grids, Loops... on Peter Clark's website, they're called "toastracks"... :O

Edited by Pete 75C

• RMweb Gold

An excellent layout indeed and quite fitting that I'm thinking of modelling the "other" end, Sheringham, although it will be a non-working diorama, just to get a feel for 7mm.

Stop helping me out! Really, it's becoming a habit, after the square-headed bolts! Seriously, many thanks for that. I've found the website and they look very, very similar to what I need. I think if I tried to scratchbuild them with microstrip, they would end up a tad overscale.

Grids, Loops... on Peter Clark's website, they're called "toastracks"... :O

It's a shame peco don't do them in 00 their ones are quite exquisite for the size.....

This is the link to Chris Turnball`s article on his trackwork for Cromer;

http://www.gauge0guildarchive.com/gazette_archive/Vol17-10/files/26.html

i`m not sure if you need to be a member to see it,but if it does`nt work send me a PM and i`ll copy it for you Pete.

Brian.

Thanks Brian. I have seen this layout before in print and on RMWeb, but I've just had a good read through the article in your link (I was not prompted to log-in), and it really is something to aspire to, isn't it? The TPWS grids (loops!) are £2 each on Peter Clark's website and Chris has used many Clark items on "Cromer" so that is a very good recommendation indeed.

Edit: I've sent Peter an email with a view to ordering a few bits and pieces including the TPWS.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 2

Hi, I supplied the original info for Roger Murray to produce these in circa 2001.

The ones sold by Peter Clark are the former Roger Murray.

http://www.peterclarkkits.com/lineside-accessories1.html

http://www.peterclarkkits.com/uploads/1/4/5/1/14515182/__2070018_orig.jpg

The picture in the first post is a TSS and you will require to purchase 2x loops/toast rack (arm & trigger).

• 6 months later...