GWR loan act engine shed

B15nac

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I want to build a loan's act GWR engine shed but I'm not sure where to start. Has anyone built one or have any tips on how to scratch build a engine shed? is plastic card the best way?

Thanks

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Isn't Didcot a loans act shed if so it well photographed and I'm sure there are plenty of drawings in books. It has the advantage that it's still standing to so you can pop along and get more details.

As to how to make one depends on the scale you intend to do and how acurate you want to detail it. The other thing is how much you want to spend. Timber tracks do a couple of engine sheds in both 4 and 7mm I don't think they are loans act ones though. To get correct coursing of your brickwork it's very hard to do with plastikard though but a good representation can be made.

Hi Neil,

Mark is indeed correct in that Didcot is a 4 road loans act shed, built in 1932. You are of course most welcome to join us on the RMWEB tour on 30th July if you want a look round all the parts not normally accessed. Sign up here if you can make it:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118580-the-2017-rmweb-members-didcot-tour/

You are also lucky in that drawings for this shed and all the ancillary buildings (including the now demolished ash shelter) in the book "An Historical Survey of Great Western Engine Sheds 1947" by E. T. Lyons published by OPC with the cooperation of the Great Western Society. It was published in 1972 and its SBN number is 902888 16 1. It's long out of print but not rare so not hard to get hold of.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Thanks for all your advice an suggestion I was wondering if with the townstreet model I could put two kits together to make it longer as it looks nice just a little short?

Thanks Neil

Hi Neil,

Do you have a picture of the above model or a link to it please?

EDIT: Just seen the link up the page there - d'oh! It looks very much like Didcot that does! It just begs the question as to whether you are happy with a resin model or you want to go further with plastic and so on? It shouldn't be difficult to extend the model as the whole building in reality is quite modular in nature. The only massive difference to 81E is the fact that Didcot got an extension to the offices at the front in the 1950s.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

Thanks for the information castle I wondered when the extension to the offices were done. I think I'm going to go for the townstreet model now am I right in thinking they are made of plaster?

Regards Neil

Edited by B15nac
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the information castle I wondered when the extension to the offices were done. I think I'm going to go for the townstreet model now am I right in thinking they are made of plaster?

Regards Neil

Indeed they are and an absolute joy to paint as the material likes enamels.If and when you order one ask for some powder in a bag you can mix with water into a paste to use as a filler on small gaps.The owner is really helpful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks gwrrob for your advice I see your tempted to get the 2 road version from your thread? as the kits are made of plaster Are they quite strong an robust? If anyone on here has built one before do you have the dementions of the shed?

Kind regards Neil

• RMweb Gold

The two road is about 160mm wide by at least 350mm long,probably more nearer 400mm.Townstreet stuff is strong but can chip with bad handling of product on the workbench.

Well thanks for all your advice everyone I've made my mind up and I'm going to buy two of these kits I think they look really nice an look very much like they should do! I've now got to decide on a track plan. How many loan act sheds were built for the GWR? I no didcot plus Laira had them.

Kind regards Neil

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I spoke to townstreet yesterday and they were very helpful he said they do a extender kit for it that will take it up to 25 inches long which I should imagine is about scale length for one? Not sure how long didcot shed would be in 4mm?!

Kind regards Neil

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just received my first townstreet model it's the GWR sand an furnace hut like the one at didcot railway centre an most of the loan act shed builds the GWR had. It's a brilliant little model I'm very pleased with it the quality an detail is very good. I will add a few pictures of the building an painting of it when I start.

Kind regards Neil

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...