Loco's for Swanhurst - SR Steam

That looks absolutely fantastic! Makes me think I should really crack on with building one myself. 

My only advice would be (and I may be wrong) I don't think the steps would've been green in post war malachite - not that it matters much, it's still a stunning model, great work! :)

That looks absolutely fantastic! Makes me think I should really crack on with building one myself. 

My only advice would be (and I may be wrong) I don't think the steps would've been green in post war malachite - not that it matters much, it's still a stunning model, great work! :)

Thanks fo that Jack, Yes,I do believe you are correct regarding the footsteps! That will save on masking!! 

• Like 1

Just be glad it doesn't have smoke deflectors, that would be an unenviable task i'm sure!

Really looking forward to seeing this finished The L1 is one of my favorite prototypes, and the sooner you get your finished, the sooner one of the big manufacturers can announce their release :jester:  The way you mounted the bogie is interesting, do you think you'll build up the sides of the chassis where they've been cut to fit it? 

Thanks Jack, It's been a long time favourite of mine since I had my fist Triang one-back in 1961! I have actually already built up the chassis sides- they're just not very prominent in the photo's - and yes,I'm just waiting for the Bachmann or Hornby announcement (though I'd take an L, or a D1/E1)  

• Like 1

I managed to get a bit more paint on tonight, photo's to follow . Just tried a run out and she moves sweetly. It managed one Bachmann Bulleid coach okay, but struggled with an additional BR Mk.1. With a third coach it was going nowhere fast! Luckily there is space in the boiler for some weight. It will need some!

• Like 1

I managed to get a bit more paint on tonight, photo's to follow . Just tried a run out and she moves sweetly. It managed one Bachmann Bulleid coach okay, but struggled with an additional BR Mk.1. With a third coach it was going nowhere fast! Luckily there is space in the boiler for some weight. It will need some!

Don't those T9 front wheels have traction tyres? - Actually having said that, I have one that refuses to grip regardless.. needs some looking at. let us know how you get on!

Don't those T9 front wheels have traction tyres? - Actually having said that, I have one that refuses to grip regardless.. needs some looking at. let us know how you get on!

They do indeed Jack, actually the spring on the front bogie was pushing the front driver up slightly. I added some weight to the chassis, minus the body and that helped. I'm certain a good lump of lead in the boiler will help...I hope! The T9 has a cast metal boiler, plus the traction tyres!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Glad to say that the L1 is taking shape...I had given the loco's body a coat of 'Malachite Green' just to see how it looked. Since then I've enlarged the splashers with plasticard, and reamed out the inside with my Dremel, to give greater clearance to the driving wheels. I've added a load of weight in the boiler. It can happily pull three Hornby BR Mk 1's and a Bachmann Bulleid coach. I will I think, need a bit of additional weight in the tender. As you may make out in the photo I've added hand rails, buffers etc. I started to add lamp brackets, from Mainly Trains, and they seem a bit over scale, so I may replace them.

Paint will go on soon. The plan is to finish it in Malachite Green ca. 1953. One of the last to carry the scheme and with "British Railways" titles. I can then , legitimately run her with a rake of blood and custard Mk1's.............

post-6028-0-73791900-1514742423_thumb.jpg

Edited by clarkeeboy56
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...