D3193 withdrawel in 1967

18B

Mention of it here as a possible export to Italy although it was reported to be withdrawn due to collision damage.

http://www.sagem-atlantis.com/features/diesels/index.htm?id=diesels/attiliorossi 

I too was thinking of the RCTS resources, but I couldn't get your link to work.  Not sure if this is the same article, but hopefully a better link: https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/diesels/content.htm?id=diesels/attiliorossi

This article also turned up, who the heck is Zulu and why was he propagating falsehoods around diesel disposals, have people nothing better to do with their time.

http://www.whatreallyhappenedtosteam.co.uk/pdf/WRHTS-ESS-115-Diesel-Fabrications.pdf 

They're known as "stringers" in the birding community, but I'm afraid whoever "Zulu" is (or was) he/she isn't the only one in our field.  There's a guy (who has authored a few books), who forged a major Eastern European locomotive list.  As with WRHTS, it took years of unravelling to be realised.

• RMweb Gold

This article also turned up, who the heck is Zulu and why was he propagating falsehoods around diesel disposals, have people nothing better to do with their time.

http://www.whatreallyhappenedtosteam.co.uk/pdf/WRHTS-ESS-115-Diesel-Fabrications.pdf 

Hi Woodenhead the link in your post doesn't work - a series of serious in depth reads here. Get your slippers on and a cup of tea (or malt later) and have a good plough through this little lot.

http://www.whatreallyhappenedtosteam.co.uk/download-what-really-happened-to-steam-articles.htm

The diesel articles are at the very bottom, one of which is the article to which woodenhead refers. This Zulu guy, well words fail me, myths based on hearsay are one thing, but his misinformation spreading is scandalous (in context of course ;))

I know OT, but the piece re disposal of Lion is quite an interesting read. Reminded me of the tale of four Westerns being set aside for Foster Yeoman.

Neil

The National Archives has BR files listing the locos withdrawn in a given year, I am pretty sure that 1968 is in there and as they usually state why the loco was withdrawn it should be possible to find the official reason. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I have been searching the internet and numerous books for a photo of D3193.

Does anybody have a photo of this loco at all that they would like to share ? 

Incidentally, it was reported that at the Derby works open day in August 1968, the loco was in the ‘General Repair’ works. 

Mark

On 23/08/2021 at 15:23, Mark1909 said:

....... Incidentally, it was reported that at the Derby works open day in August 1968, the loco was in the ‘General Repair’ works. .....

That would have been some job for the apprentices  -  reassembling it from a pile of scrap it was reduced to the previous September !

• Funny 2

Five redundant former SR Class 08s were exported to Liberia to work for the Lamco Mining Company in 1974/5 - D3047/92/94/98/100. The last four, withdrawn 10/72, were from the small batch not fitted with vacuum brakes but were equipped with air brakes by Derby Works for their new duties. These were exported 4/74 - vac-fitted D3047 withdrawn 7/73 seems to have followed later, 2/75. Presumably Lamco were satisfied with their first four acquisitions.

Another Class 08 removed from service way before any others around it was late-build D3885, withdrawn from 64H Leith Central as early as 2/72, before even being allocated a TOPS number. Glasgow Works wasted no time in disposing of it the following month. I'm wondering if serious fire or collision damage did for this one and D3193 - 08s were not prone to pyrotechnics but they could easily find themselves in the path of heavily laden runaway wagons.........

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2021 at 23:14, Wickham Green too said:

That would have been some job for the apprentices  -  reassembling it from a pile of scrap it was reduced to the previous September !

Sorry. it was August 1967 it was seen in the works general repair shop and not 1968 - my typo

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 15/01/2017 at 23:23, 18B said:

The first Class 08 withdrawn was D3193 in 1967, would anyone happen to know why this loco was withdrawn so early?

Photographs of this loco appear to be non existent too. I would have thought that photos of it at the Derby Works open day in 1967 would have emerged.

D3193 was inside the 'new' repair shop at Derby Works on the occasion of the Open Day, 26th. August, 1967.

She was in company with D2199, D2208, D3028, D3089, D3122, D3979, D4147, 12062, 12101 and 12112.

Note withdrawn Cl.10, D3122 was also present, which a month earlier was outside lashed up to 12022, 15001, ED4 & ED5 ready to leave for the Chesterfield scrapyard of Garnham, Harris & Elton.

From this, I'd assume, D3193 was 'written off' at Derby, used as a 'Christmas tree' and scrapped within a month, as she didn't appear to join the withdrawn BR (WR) 151xx shunters that gathered in the Klondike Sidings about the same time.

• Like 2

Just to compound matters.......

The Engine Shed Society, in Link 115

"The diesel fabrications" by John Hall,

contains the following entry....

" .....could D3193 be the diesel shunter seen at Imperia, Northern Italy in July 1969 ?  Last recorded at Derby locomotive works on 26th. August, 1967, D3193 had apparently disappeared by October 1st. 1967, never to be seen again. As there is no evidence forthcoming of any accident, or any other damage to D3193 the inevitable question has to be why was this locomotive withdrawn five years before any other Class 08 shunter ? Logic would suggest it was simply sold to industry or exported......"

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1