Oxford Rail 2017 announcement at London Toy Fair (24-26 Jan)

Paul.Uni

Locomotion's email suggested that changes are being made on the Dean Goods...

Quote:

We take on board all the comments we receive and try our best to make amendments where we can. There were a few things that needed changing like the livery and the cab for instance, and how can we forget the smoke box door!

We know you will be pleasantly surprised with the changes we have made to enhance the model.

Due to these changes the Dean Goods may be a few weeks later than planned getting here but it will be worth it in the end!

Interesting. 

I certainly hope it is good news. 

Those of us who kept up with the helpful analysis and prototype information posted on the Oxford Dean Goods thread will know that there is quite a lot wrong with this model, including Locomotion's 2516 commission.

Those who only follow the Locomotion 2516 thread may have a more rose tinted view, as the Howlers drove sensible research-based critique off that thread.

So, while I hope to be pleasantly surprised, fixing this model is a tall order and there were also comments from Locomotion suggesting that it was too far down the line to make all the corrections commercially possible.

Frankly the jury is out and I don't think there is new evidence yet to justify either pessimism or optimism - we simply must wait and see.

Where it leaves this and the wish-list topics, in my view, is that Oxford have not yet made a complex pregroup steam outline model that is a winner, so I too feel they have a lot to prove before I start suggesting things for them to make.

But if someone made a decent RTR LNWR crested goods or cauliflower, lined and crested that is, I'd be all over it like a rash!

...Mind you I wouldn't say no to a LNWR 4-4-0 of some description.  Or a Cauliflower.  Or a Prince of Wales .

Not having the slightest idea whether OR are aware of this, but in tooling up a Dean goods they will have in CAD a mechanism design for 'the other' broadly adopted set of UK 0-6-0 dimensions, originating from Ramsbottom's time at Crewe: 7'3"+8'3" and with a nominal 5'2" wheel. (Bachmann dropped the ball on this, their 2251 having 18mm drivers).

With appropriate changes to wheels and other detail fittings that mechanism layout is equally suited to an LNWR Cauliflower and GNR Stirling 0-6-0s (later LNER J3/J4) and not a few others from elsewhere.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Frankly, I'd prefer corridor and, even better, non-corridor GW Clerestories and Dean Low-Roof coaches.

For 4-wheelers there are the Ratio kits.

For clerestories there is the rather dated Hornby RTR, just 2 types of corridor coach with crude ends and u/f and no relief to the panelling.  The Bettabitz replacement sides are OOP (part of 247 developments not acquired by the new owner) .

Non-Corridor, having just hacked up some Triangs, I can tell you it takes a lot to gain a reasonable approximation to a GW diagram, for all the style of them is rather GW.

The Slaters non-corridor clerestory kits have, of course,  disappeared for good up the Coopercraft Fundament.

Blacksmith/Mallard appear to be available as etches only (no castings) in limited quantities where Coopercraft occasionally makes a public appearance at a show.

So, a case for RTR is that it's quite hard to get clerestories any other way these days!

I am sure that there is sufficient commonality to allow Dean Low-Roof non-corridors to be produced as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not having the slightest idea whether OR are aware of this, but in tooling up a Dean goods they will have in CAD a mechanism design for 'the other' broadly adopted set of UK 0-6-0 dimensions, originating from Ramsbottom's time at Crewe: 7'3"+8'3" and with a nominal 5'2" wheel. (Bachmann dropped the ball on this, their 2251 having 18mm drivers).

With appropriate changes to wheels and other detail fittings that mechanism layout is equally suited to an LNWR Cauliflower and GNR Stirling 0-6-0s (later LNER J3/J4) and not a few others from elsewhere.

Try as you might a 2251 chassis won't fit in a cauliflower, mainline or Bachmann, indeed I've tried several different candidate chassis to go on my kit cauliflower chassis, the boiler / firebox of a cauliflower is very narrow...even an x04 is a nudge too tight, even if it's exposed on the footplate. Tried various including Bachmann 3f / 4f / Hornby j15/700 , old triang pannier chassis (with x04 tight at the back), even considered a Bachmann N mogul with a swapped centre wheel / crank, indeed I am hoping the journey is over I'm waiting a kit built chassis with a slim Romford motor... dean goods might be a candidate... when it comes out.

An LYR Aspinall 2f will fit (it's just as slim), but that chassis is staying safely under my 2f :-)

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Try as you might a 2251 chassis won't fit in a cauliflower, mainline or Bachmann, indeed I've tried several different candidate chassis to go on my kit cauliflower chassis, the boiler / firebox of a cauliflower is very narrow...even an x04 is a nudge too tight, even if it's exposed on the footplate. Tried various including Bachmann 3f / 4f / Hornby j15/700 , old triang pannier chassis (with x04 tight at the back), even considered a Bachmann N mogul with a swapped centre wheel / crank, indeed I am hoping the journey is over I'm waiting a kit built chassis with a slim Romford motor... dean goods might be a candidate... when it comes out.

An LYR Aspinall 2f will fit (it's just as slim), but that chassis is staying safely under my 2f :-)

A late friend had a Cauliflower built from a Gem kit which, IIRC, had a Tri-ang XT60 in it.

Don't know about wheel sizes and spacing, but a Hornby J15 chassis (and motor) looks more the size to fit under one.

John

• RMweb Premium

Lyndon Davies, or Taff, has been on he Oxford Diecast Collectors Facebook site this evening, and in advance of announcement tomorrow has posted a photo of a "crossover" model, which looks like a humpback bridge over two small streams! Anyone more knowledgeable know what it is?

John Storey

Lyndon Davies, or Taff, has been on he Oxford Diecast Collectors Facebook site this evening, and in advance of announcement tomorrow has posted a photo of a "crossover" model, which looks like a humpback bridge over two small streams! Anyone more knowledgeable know what it is?

John Storey

Could they be AWS ramps, with the arches fitting over the sleepers?

Later edit. They are ramps for demounting the Road/Rail Land Rover added to the range.

http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/land-rover-british-rail-or76ror003

Edited by mikeharvey22

Guest Midland Mole

Woah, wait....are my eyes deceiving me or did Oxford just outdo Bachmann's 1P announcement? I have been waiting for a RTR N7 for most of my life, ever since I saw the real one when I was young.

And they are doing it in GER livery!!!!....I feel faint....

giphy.gif

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

An N7 is way way overdue.

Also noticed a Dean Goods with snow ploughs !

Nice touch on running numbers on MK3's... easy to put a rake of 6 Blue/Grey and 7 Intercity incl; 1st, buffet and 2nd.

I see a 4 plank, A/B tanks, and 4 wheel toad there too.

interesting choice in the A/B tanks with the Heljan offering about to be released imminently.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

So now we have Oxford Rail versus Hattons directly competing on Warwells !

On the model vehicle front the old Volvo 544 (1950's ?) I initially thought was a Standard Vanguard Mark 1  -  I don't think I've ever seen one of those Volvos in real life.  The Jeep will be interesting if it is genuinely 1/76th.

Good luck to Oxford, I hope they make money.

An N7 is way way overdue.

Also noticed a Dean Goods with snow ploughs !

Nice touch on running numbers on MK3's... easy to put a rake of 6 Blue/Grey and 7 Intercity incl; 1st, buffet and 2nd.

I see a 4 plank, A/B tanks, and 4 wheel toad there too.

interesting choice in the A/B tanks with the Heljan offering about to be released imminently.

Did you notice the sound-fitted Dean Goods with plough for £22.95? That has to be the bargain of this century! Obviously a misprint. :D

Speaking of prices, their prices are creeping up to Hornby and Bachmann levels for equivalent items. That's not a complaint, but my observation is that it also means they will have to be a little more careful with featuring correct details and liveries as they will be competing more directly with the big boys rather than selling cheaper but slightly less detailed items.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

But no announcement re reverse blue-grey mark 3s, compatible with the Rapido class 252 power cars. Will anyone do them?

Good move by Oxford, let's hope they can put the Dean goods episode behind them.

Neil

DCC sound fitted Dean goods with plough for £22.  Guess they missed a 0 in that price.

Not only are they doing a Warwell, but equally a Sherman tank which is not in their Diecast range.

A few duplications arising there, unless Oxford is making the Hattons Warwell (which I doubt), with a 4 wheel toad and B tanker.

Edited by JSpencer