The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

57xx

Merit made some racing car kits.

They did indeed, I built most of them as a kid, and then later found them being made by another company - this would have been the 70s - and bought some more. All wrecked now... Included my favourite cars, the Alfetta and the Lago-Talbot in 1/24 scale. D-type Jag, Vanwall, Maserati, Gordini.

Have a look:

https://primotipo.com/tag/merit-models/

• Like 2

Yep, I did have a collection of 1950s/early 60’s F1 cars. Personal favorites back then were Vanwall and the Maserati’s.

Thanks for the ideas on the up-to-date models.

Thanks for all the info.

In the meantime I found this site (which seems to have everything..... http://www.diecastmodelswholesale.com/formula-1-models/

Interesting Aston Martin collection (including a DBS V8 in Orange  which in the hands of a friend of mine threw a Con Rod through the block, nice DB4GT Zagato model by the looks of it too)

Back to F1!!!!!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The official photos are terrible, mostly black car on black background. It is almost as if they don't want you to really see the shape.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

7 . that's  SEVEN . . addy onny bits on the front?????? . . . 

Howay man . . lets get  back to some sort of reality!

John

There is a suggestion that restricting these "addy onny bits" will be one of the next steps. However, if they do that I am not sure how they expect to get the cars round the corners any quicker.

Roy

From a personal and selfish point of view, I would rather see a pretty car struggle to get around a corner, and the Driver having to really show his / HER skills than see all the wingy flappy stickie on bits that catch tyres etc.

• Like 1

I cannot recall the last time an F1 car looked attractive. Maybe the Lotus 78 or so. Handsome is as handsome does in this formula.

The Gordon Murray bmw brabhams were pretty cars but my fave is still the 7up Jordan.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I personally liked the mid-noughties cars, but can understand the appeal with the 70s and earlier offerings. On the one hand I appreciate the engineering that goes into current ones, but they're just far too fussy. At least 6 of those bits of wing are going to end up scattered all over the track once someone nudges another car in the first corner!

• RMweb Gold

I cannot recall the last time an F1 car looked attractive. Maybe the Lotus 78 or so. Handsome is as handsome does in this formula.

...and IMHO the shape of the Lotus '78 was enhanced by the John Player Special black and gold livery. Gorgeous.

• Like 1

I personally liked the mid-noughties cars, but can understand the appeal with the 70s and earlier offerings. On the one hand I appreciate the engineering that goes into current ones, but they're just far too fussy. At least 6 of those bits of wing are going to end up scattered all over the track once someone nudges another car in the first corner!

And they still go as fast around corners half the time.