The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

57xx

...Cars were deliberately staying well apart most of the time due to the disruptive air flows...

That was very clear, the high aero effect made more severe I suspect because of the containment by all the surrounding structure. (There were small pieces of trash still bouncing along the track in the faster sections well after groups of cars had passed.) All the aggressively racy drivers that attempted closing in to striking distance for an overtake, ceased to make progress in the 0.5 - 0.8 seconds separation zone. When that's uniform for all of Vettel, Verstappen, Ricciardo and Hammy - none of whom are shy in such matters - I feel that's a pretty good indicator of 'not really feasible'.

...One of the main overtaking spots in past races was the hairpin - not a single challenge this time. Why?...

I suspect little mechanical grip off the 'scrubbed' racing line, and since there's no aero effect at the hairpin, you have to go round queued one at a time; so the only possible overtake is if the driver ahead makes enough of a mistake and goes completely off line; and....

...Apart from Jenson's interesting move, are drivers these days that much better at steering for 78 laps, or were they being far more cautious than normal?...

Didn't Hammy comment that the cars were too easy to drive now? So not nearly so many mistakes, thus very few overtake opportunities.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Monaco used to be one of my favourite tracks. It still is, just not for the current crop of F1 cars that, as Mike has said, are just not suited to it. I would love to see drivers driving the course again, clutch pedal, manual gear stick, a steering wheel that just steers, no power steering and minimal aero - but sadly with all the "progress" these days, it ain't going to happen.

Yesterday's race was an extremely dull procession highlighting all that is wrong with the current regulations. It's easy to blame the track, but I too think that it is just the track highlighting the deficiencies of the cars. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Monaco used to be one of my favourite tracks. It still is, just not for the current crop of F1 cars that, as Mike has said, are just not suited to it. I would love to see drivers driving the course again, clutch pedal, manual gear stick, a steering wheel that just steers, no power steering and minimal aero - but sadly with all the "progress" these days, it ain't going to happen.

Yesterday's race was an extremely dull procession highlighting all that is wrong with the current regulations. It's easy to blame the track, but I too think that it is just the track highlighting the deficiencies of the cars.

Russia and Spain back that up also.

Edited by OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised it's taken this long. :O

I would suspect that we're only about 1 or 2 Grand Prix away from McLaren making an announcement about its future relationship with Honda.

Edited by 4630

• RMweb Premium

Funny thing that, do you think there is a risk of sales being impacted? I'm not really interested in a Honda road car, but that's influenced in no way by their abject failure in F1! I would love a McLaren road car, and that's not impacted by their abject failure :-) Talking of which... saw a lovely P1 coming off the M25 last night!

Honda are certainly struggling, and it'll be interested to see how long McLaren sit tight, considering this year's title is a foregone conclusion (for them at least) you wonder about the wisdom of switching mid-season? That said, the much lauded 'improvements' from Honda haven't exactly been quick or revolutionary, and it's a low bar!

Funny thing that, do you think there is a risk of sales being impacted? I'm not really interested in a Honda road car, but that's influenced in no way by their abject failure in F1! I would love a McLaren road car, and that's not impacted by their abject failure :-) Talking of which... saw a lovely P1 coming off the M25 last night!

Honda are certainly struggling, and it'll be interested to see how long McLaren sit tight, considering this year's title is a foregone conclusion (for them at least) you wonder about the wisdom of switching mid-season? That said, the much lauded 'improvements' from Honda haven't exactly been quick or revolutionary, and it's a low bar!

Honda didn't know there was a Bar, hahhah.

I used to sell Honda in the day when BAR Honda / Button was driving, and that brought customers into the Showroom, and I'm sure it will be talked about by a few Customers, but not that many.

• Like 1

Yes, fair point. Spend the rest of the year as a long test, refine over winter and smash it still finish mid table next year

Anything above last would be a bonus for McLOSERS.

3 Years ago I bought an Honda lawnmower, I change the oil, sparkplug, sharpen the blade and clean the air filter every year and, apart from fuel, that's all the attention it needs. It isn't very fast but it is reliable, I wonder if Fernando would lime to borrow it for the rest of the season?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As an ex-regular fan I usually still watch more out of habit than enthusiasm if I am in. However, have recorded a few races this year through being out during the live coverage and then deleted them unwatched. It has become a boring non-event sport now, too concerned about tyres, and not interesting to watch at all. Quite why when inability to overtake was agreed even within the sport to be a problem they made the cars faster and wider I can't understand. Monaco was just a moving traffic jam; as a race a pointless farce.

• RMweb Premium

As an ex-regular fan I usually still watch more out of habit than enthusiasm if I am in. However, have recorded a few races this year through being out during the live coverage and then deleted them unwatched. It has become a boring non-event sport now, too concerned about tyres, and not interesting to watch at all. Quite why when inability to overtake was agreed even within the sport to be a problem they made the cars faster and wider I can't understand. Monaco was just a moving traffic jam; as a race a pointless farce.

I would rather watch a race at the former Istanbul circuit. Now that's a good race track.

Edited by OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Premium

Let's see what this year's car changes bring to Montreal. It's usually a good circuit for racing and overtaking action.

Stunning lap(s) by Hammy for pole and a nice touch with his presentation afterwards.

I will endeavour to avoid news feeds and status updates later Sunday and wait until C4's highlights.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

They're not remotely concerned about tyres this year. There are other issues.

Whilst partially agreeing I did watch qualifying today with the sound on and one of the main commentator observations was "switching the tyres on" (as some drivers were not); it is still partly about tyres not pure driving speed/ability to overtake. Overtaking won't happen until (a) blue flag overtakes are banned and then (b) top teams have to work out some rules that reduce aero influence so that they can overtake on merit. If you are fast enough to catch up a whole lap you should be able to pass on merit not arbitrary flagging.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold

Whilst partially agreeing I did watch qualifying today with the sound on and one of the main commentator observations was "switching the tyres on" (as some drivers were not); it is still partly about tyres not pure driving speed/ability to overtake. Overtaking won't happen until (a) blue flag overtakes are banned and then (b) top teams have to work out some rules that reduce aero influence so that they can overtake on merit. If you are fast enough to catch up a whole lap you should be able to pass on merit not arbitrary flagging.

Blue flags have been used in motorsport since time immemorial. The traditional definitions were "Blue flag : Still - a car follows you closely. Waved - a car is trying to overtake." F1 still follows that in principle and I don't see a problem. It was and is intended to give a nudge to those whose mirrors don't get much attention. If a daydreaming backmarker holds up the leaders it adds nothing to the sport.

• RMweb Premium

A few notes from today's GP.

I know drivers like to race, but Perez needs a good kicking from his team bosses.

Ocon could easily have been 4th, if not 3rd.

More overtaking/action at Montreal than all the previous GP's this year put together. (IMO)

C4's Steve Jones is rapidly becoming a clown.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1