The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

57xx

So will that be 2 teams with Honda engines next year? http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39761616

NO NO NO, According to our Eddie Jordon, (who is normally right) McLaren will have Merc units again next year and maybe before the end of this year if they want to keep Alonso in bed.

Edited by Andrew P

Autosport's Scores on the Doors for Russia:

Lewis Hamilton : 5 - I might give him 6

Valtteri Bottas : 9

Daniel Ricciardo : 8

Max Verstappen : 8

Sebastian Vettel : 9

Kimi Raikkonen : 8

Sergio Perez : 9

Esteban Ocon : 8

Lance Stroll : 6

Felipe Massa : 8

Stoffel Vandoorne : 7

Fernando Alonso : 9

Daniil Kvyatt : 7

Carlos Sainz : 7

Romain Grosjean : 3 - worst drive of the season so far

Kevin Magnusson : 7

Niko Hulkenberg : 7

Jo Palmer : 4 - generous

Marcus Ericsson : 7

Pascal Wehrlein : 6

Over the season so far, averaging the scores:

Vettel

Alonso

Verstappen

Perez

Sainz

Hamilton

Bottas

Massa

Wehrlein

Ocon

Hulkenberg

Ricciardo

Grosjean

Giovanazzi

Raikkonen

Magnussen

Kvyat

Ericsson

Vandoorne

Stroll

Palmer

Hard to understand how drivers could be scored on that race (other than those that made errors and were duly penalised/crashed).  After the first lap, it was just a procession to the checkered flag.  Were there any overtakes on the track?

How typical that the classic circuits are giving way to these frankly boring race venues - forget the spectacle, just look at the money.

• Like 1

Autosport's Scores on the Doors for Russia:

Lewis Hamilton : 5 - I might give him 6

Valtteri Bottas : 9

Daniel Ricciardo : 8

Max Verstappen : 8

Sebastian Vettel : 9

Kimi Raikkonen : 8

Sergio Perez : 9

Esteban Ocon : 8

Lance Stroll : 6

Felipe Massa : 8

Stoffel Vandoorne : 7

Fernando Alonso : 9

Daniil Kvyatt : 7

Carlos Sainz : 7

Romain Grosjean : 3 - worst drive of the season so far

Kevin Magnusson : 7

Niko Hulkenberg : 7

Jo Palmer : 4 - generous

Marcus Ericsson : 7

Pascal Wehrlein : 6

Over the season so far, averaging the scores:

Vettel

Alonso

Verstappen

Perez

Sainz

Hamilton

Bottas

Massa

Wehrlein

Ocon

Hulkenberg

Ricciardo

Grosjean

Giovanazzi

Raikkonen

Magnussen

Kvyat

Ericsson

Vandoorne

Stroll

Palmer

Hard to understand how drivers could be scored on that race (other than those that made errors and were duly penalised/crashed).  After the first lap, it was just a procession to the checkered flag.  Were there any overtakes on the track?

How typical that the classic circuits are giving way to these frankly boring race venues - forget the spectacle, just look at the money.

And how did Alonso score any Points? He didn't even start.

Alonso - superb qualifying effort:

"Alonso called the qualifying performance that put him into Q2 again "unbelievable", and he did his usual excellent job capitalising on others' struggles - this time Palmer and the Haas drivers in Q1.

He reckoned the Honda engine was costing 2.5s on the straights, which would have meant a long and arduous race but for the ERS failure that forced him out before the start."

The drivers' performance rating, (and racing in general) is about a bit more than just overtaking...

Of course it is, but without the prospect of overtaking, F1 becomes little more than a time trial. At circuits like Sochi, once the order has been set, it's Matchbox Motorway rather than Scalextric.

• 2 weeks later...

Fernando breaks down on FIRST out Lap.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/38395626

Uh oh spaghettios, there's a problem for McLaren already. 

Fernando Alonso has come to a stop with smoke coming out his car...

Posted at9:15

Fernando Alonso was on his out-lap when trouble hit. He's out of the McLaren now inspecting the rear with a group of marshals. 

"Engine. Engine problem," says Alonso. 

• RMweb Premium

My prediction still stands: if Honda doesn't get their act together by Monaco, expect the appearance of Merc engines in fairly short order! And the Japanese very, very red-faced :rolleyes:

Can't be done this year , remember that there is a strict allowance of engines for the year , so you can't

change makes halfway through as this would throw the system out .

I tend to agree that the sight of one of the iconic teams (and for that matter - driver) faffing around at the back and failing to finish (or start) on most occasions, is doing the sport no good at all but I can't see how the rules regarding engine allowance can be circumvented.

It's just ridiculous that it's come to this.

If they could switch engines but with half the allowance for the rest of the Season, I think other Teams would agree to that as well, for the good of the Sport.

I wonder what Sauber are thinking?

From speedcafe.com -

Fernando Alonso has issued a blunt warning to McLaren that he will leave the team at the end of the season if there is not a noticeable improvement in performance.

Alonso has given the team until no later than October to demonstrate race-winning potential for 2018 or he will walk away from the Honda-powered squad.

The comment came as the Spaniard reiterated that he is out of contract with the struggling team at the end of this year, and off the back of a non-start in the most recent race in Russia when his McLaren came to a halt on the formation lap with an ERS issue.

“As I said at the beginning of the year, this is my last year with the contract I have now with McLaren,” Alonso explained on the eve of the Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix.

“I will have to think a little bit after the summer, because now it is quite a busy period and now plus the Indy 500 thing, it will not be the time to think any further than this summer.

“But around September or October, I will need to consider what I will do next year.

“If it’s time to find other challenges outside Formula 1, or if Formula 1 will be an opportunity to win the championship – which is my main goal – I’m very open to anything.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately I think He burned his bridges with both Ferrari and Mercedes (during the first Mclaren stint).

Martin Brundle has voiced the same opinion , why would they willing hire a man

who has caused both teams problems , he seems to think that half the 100 million that

Mclaren were fined was paid by Merc .

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24096/10873909/fernando-alonsos-breakdown-in-spanish-gp-practice-a-horror-show-for-mclaren-says-martin-brundle

• RMweb Gold

If they could switch engines but with half the allowance for the rest of the Season, I think other Teams would agree to that as well, for the good of the Sport.

I wonder what Sauber are thinking?

Not sure about Sauber, but I bet Mclaren are wishing they had never been so selfish with the engines. Twice as many in use = twice as much testing and development.

Not sure about Sauber, but I bet Mclaren are wishing they had never been so selfish with the engines. Twice as many in use = twice as much testing and development.

And I bet Mr Alonso wishes he'd not made peace with big Ron, and agreed to return to McLoosers.

• RMweb Gold

However you cut it, bringing home a McLaren to seventh on the grid is a mighty achievement.

Just hope it makes it around the formation lap...

I didn't see quali, but it sounds as if Honda have finally found something. Even Alonso on home territory with a zillion fans can't make that much difference. Some big hitters are behind him.

I didn't see quali, but it sounds as if Honda have finally found something. Even Alonso on home territory with a zillion fans can't make that much difference. Some big hitters are behind him.

I got home late and I only saw the last  bit of qualifying - for the final 10.

However It's a chassis circuit Ian, Mclaren keep claiming that the new chassis is a trick piece of kit. The drive train only had to hang together long enough for quali.

But you still can't discount the Fernando factor especially at home, especially when Stoffel is down in 19th, although having not seen the first 2 legs I'm not sure if He had an issue or not ?

Perhaps someone who saw the first 2 legs can elaborate.