The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

57xx

• RMweb Premium

Definitely not falling out, and not really "bantering" either (I really hate that term!), just trying to understand the rationale. Verstappen certainly seems to perform better in people's imagination than on paper! Some bad luck has definitely beset him, but better than Vettel? Nah, much as it pains me!

Agree on Brazil though, fingers crossed for another wet one, maybe they'll add 20% to the race distance so Max can win it this time ;)

Edited by njee20
  • Like 1

Max is very good, no doubt, even if you ignore some of his more questionable tactics.

But the Red Bull was predicted to be more competitive at many of the second half circuits, and, whilst the team have improved it considerably as the season went on, it still lacks straight line speed.

Every prediction of the demise of Mercedes, due to superior versions appearing of their competitors' vehicles has, so far, resulted in an even better Mercedes each time. If they can improve on its two key weaknesses for 2018 - lack of downforce on twisting circuits and stability when running behind other cars - then it is doubtful that anyone else could become their equal just yet. It would be good for the sport if the others could regularly supply an equally competitive car, rather than just at the circuits that better suit them. So, we shall see.

If he would have won two of the (say the 6th and one 5th) he'd have an extra 102 points, and would still be 12 points behind Bottas and 27 behind Vettel.

And again, that's giving him the generosity of seven additional points finishes without also assuming anyone else finished some more races. Surely you need to give Vettel another 50 or so points at least?

Bear in mind, though, that had he finished those races he could well have taken points off Vettel and Bottas by finishing in front of them!! ;) :)

• RMweb Premium

And vice versa... particularly in Vettel’s case, who was the subject of the speculation (the speculatee?!).

But yes, if Max had won every single race, and the other 19 cars had all crashed into each other every race then he would have won the world championship!

Edited by njee20

With the exception of Ferrari. and to some extent Mercedes, the idea of the car's colour being based on the teams "nationality" has been overtaken by the need to satisfy the sponsors. 

Even Ferrari ran in a different shade of red in the mid 90s when they were sponsored by Marlboro. Even now the shade of red used isn't the same shade as it was in the late 80s when Berger and Mansell were driving for them.

I don't think Hartley has a place in Torro Rosso, as it's function is to find talented drivers for Red Bull and if he were super talented, we would know by now. He isn't a pay driver, so there can't be much room in Sauber for him.

I agree with you on Gasly and I think as a younger driver with success in other single seater racing series, he is perfect for a Torro Rosso that will need experience with a Honda engine but still fulfill the team role in developing drivers

• Like 2

They did several F1 meetings, though only one per season, still are, I think, but now at Cowdenbeath (also round a football pitch!)... I used to enjoy watching the saloon boys, and knew several of them well, but I'd never have a go as, as you say, they were mental!

I certainly thought the saloons were 'different', first saw them at Yarmouth as an ad hoc additional formula after there wasn't enough cars booking in. Very fast and not afraid to mix it. Saw them again at Kings Lynn a couple of weeks ago, as you say absolutely mental! Several of them didn't seem to bother steering around the corners just aimed the car at the steel plate fence and rode round, one in particular was on the fence every time he passed me! All at breakneck speed as well, highly entertaining.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Too early to tell for me. Hartley does seem like a slightly odd choice given his more advanced years, I wonder if Ericsson would be better there given his drive yesterday and the uncertainty about his future at Sauber (and the terrible car). But then he’s been around for a couple of years too.

I don’t follow the lower formulas enough to know who’s coming up through the ranks.

Whilst I'm no fan of Lewis, he surely now has to be talked about whenever there's a "greatest of all time" discussion, and as such his achievements mean he would be deserving of whatever honour the country can bestow upon him.

He is also a very well spoken young man who will fly the Flag whenever he can, that's what this Country needs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, he certainly seems unusually self aware for someone in his position, not nearly as self obsessed as you'd perhaps expect someone of that ilk to be. Seems to do a quite a lot of community and philanthropic work too. A far better ambassador for sport than some (not thinking of F1 specifically).

• Like 1

Yes, he certainly seems unusually self aware for someone in his position, not nearly as self obsessed as you'd perhaps expect someone of that ilk to be. Seems to do a quite a lot of community and philanthropic work too. A far better ambassador for sport than some (not thinking of F1 specifically).

I agree, there was an interview on TV the other night of England's under 21 Footballers, and I said to the wife, I need an interpreter, all the ones interviewed spoke English, but not very well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The fans would just be grateful for an engine formula that keeps all the cars running throughout every race. They/we/I couldn't give two monkeys' twizzles about environmental etc issues in F1 racing. Just let the drivers sort the pecking order, please. Will adding 3k rpm to the engine speed really help reliability? 

The fans would just be grateful for an engine formula that keeps all the cars running throughout every race. They/we/I couldn't give two monkeys' twizzles about environmental etc issues in F1 racing. Just let the drivers sort the pecking order, please. Will adding 3k rpm to the engine speed really help reliability? 

No Ian it wont, BUT it will give Fans a closer look at the Cars parked around the Circuit, hahha :senile:  :scared:  :no: