The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

57xx

• RMweb Gold

Another crash / coming together that 'wasn't my fault' ! 

Although he seems calm and collected, all to happy to blame someone else when a collision occurs. Sure that the stewards will not want to blame Seb as not want to impose penalties that could affect the championship as will want to go the wire at the last race to keep the viewing figures up ...... Cynical maybe, but how many times in the past have the red cars and their drivers escaped blame / penalties ?

• Like 1

Although he seems calm and collected, all to happy to blame someone else when a collision occurs. Sure that the stewards will not want to blame Seb as not want to impose penalties that could affect the championship as will want to go the wire at the last race to keep the viewing figures up ...... Cynical maybe, but how many times in the past have the red cars and their drivers escaped blame / penalties ?

FAR to many times Richard, even going back to the Shummy era, it's almost expected now. Going back to Baku, I'm sure if that was Lewis or Max that had bumped wheels they would have had a big penalty.

• RMweb Gold

Ruddy eck, I didn't recognise him, but now you've told me it's so bloomin obvious, Cheers Jol.

Yep, the Norfolk Gnome!

I walked past him once in Carnaby Street, London, but didn't realise until too late!

Edited by mudmagnet
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It doesn't say much for the competition when Vettel can finish 4th from starting at the back of the pack.

Very true, but has always been the case, usually two or three teams so far ahead of the others in performance. Running ultra-soft tyres helps, but soon went off when he couldn't get passed Danny.

• RMweb Gold

Very true, but has always been the case, usually two or three teams so far ahead of the others in performance. Running ultra-soft tyres helps, but soon went off when he couldn't get passed Danny.

It does beg the question, though, as to whether Vettel could have made up all the places he did if he hadn't been using grippier tyres than almost everyone else.

They clearly started to "go off" just when he most needed the advantage they had given up to that point.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

FAR to many times Richard, even going back to the Shummy era, it's almost expected now. Going back to Baku, I'm sure if that was Lewis or Max that had bumped wheels they would have had a big penalty.

Another example of the perceived importance of Ferrari to the F1 circus.

I believe it started when Ferrari threatened to leave F1 and consequently received a bigger slice of the cake for just turning up.

Normally I would agree as he's quick to blame others but have you seen the footage from the car following Stroll? Stroll quite clearly doesn't follow the kerb and continues straight on with, I'm guessing, the idea of picking up marbles. The stewards have said no blame but Vettel was giving him a wide berth and from his in car shot had a steady steering wheel as he went round the bend. Totally Stroll's fault as obviously didn't look in his mirrors. Absolutely nothing Vettel could do and I was quite impressed how calm he was about it.

• RMweb Premium

Normally I would agree as he's quick to blame others but have you seen the footage from the car following Stroll? Stroll quite clearly doesn't follow the kerb and continues straight on with, I'm guessing, the idea of picking up marbles. The stewards have said no blame but Vettel was giving him a wide berth and from his in car shot had a steady steering wheel as he went round the bend. Totally Stroll's fault as obviously didn't look in his mirrors. Absolutely nothing Vettel could do and I was quite impressed how calm he was about it.

But WHY was he overtaking, after the race was finished?

He was no doubt going for marbles too, they all do.  Did he want the biggest ones?  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Because Stroll was going so slowly? The winner rarely gets back to the pits first.

There are better places to go past. He did seem to be driving faster than Stroll, so could have just missed timed his pass.

Might end up with a gearbox penalty though.

As Vettel was in front of Stroll at the time the collision happened, I'm not sure how looking in the mirrors would have helped.

You can see here how Stroll doesn't follow the bend but swings out in to Vettel who is nearly past him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poZXLWFEBDA

From the camera on Vettel's car it looks very much as it Vettel moved in towards the apex and cut up the driver he'd just passed.

https://youtu.be/Zo13jKbGmXc?t=75

(These YouTube links usually don't stay up for long, once the F1 rights team have got to work.)

Odd how the two sequences look very different.  Perhaps something to do perspective being distorted due to the use of wide angle lenses on the car cameras?

Edited by ejstubbs

As Vettel was in front of Stroll at the time the collision happened, I'm not sure how looking in the mirrors would have helped.

If he'd been using his mirrors he would have known cars were behind him but as you say he waited until Vettel was virtually past so no idea how he didn't see him.

• RMweb Premium

Max already holds the record for youngest F1 race winner, he's now also the youngest multiple F1 race winner too, at 20 yrs and a day! (although frankly, if it hadn't for the recent spell of trouble and DNF's, he would/could have that much earlier this season!)

There It is again, would/could/might. He could be a two time world champion, or king of the Netherlands. But he’s not! ;) Great drive though.

The Vettel/Stroll thing is bizarre. Amazing how much damage it did too.

Edited by njee20
  • Like 1

Yep, the Norfolk Gnome!

I walked past him once in Carnaby Street, London, but didn't realise until too late!

Er, wasn't that Martin Brundall Gardens Halt - Johnny Herbert comes from Romford? Edited by EddieB

I was just beginning to start liking Vettel, thinking he had matured from his TR/RB years and quite liked him as a person, but I cannot see why he is so insistent on blaming everyone else when incidents are clearly his fault today, Singapore and Baku. Even after 'Multi-21' gate he completely took blame.  

• RMweb Gold

Unsurprisingly, in the wake of Singapore and Sepang, Marchionne, the head of Ferrari, has thrown out his toys. Change is abroad at Ferrari, apparently. Perhaps McLaren ought to have been similarly decisive a while back?

• Like 2