The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

57xx

Someone has to be...

The days of rushing home from wherever for F1 are long gone for me sadly, I struggled to maintain a once keen interest but haven't watched a "race" for a couple of years now.

Same goes for touring cars unfortunately, back in 1994 I couldn't get enough of it with the bonkers Volvo 850 estates and all conquering Alfa Romeo 155's...these days driving to work on the M27 is more interesting car wise.

I guess I'm getting old and grumpy...have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying it though :sungum:

• Like 2

I always thought it was Jack Brabham, but I'm more than willing to be proven wrong.

On the subject of Aussie racing drivers making short and to-the-point remarks, I well remember a driver being interviewed after he'd crashed out at Bathurst in fairly spectacular (but thankfully injury-free) fashion.  As they watched a replay of the accident, the interviewer asked: "Did you have any particular problems with the car at this stage?" to which the answer came: "Yes, it was out of control."

I recall the look of Horror on the faces of Ford Executives, when Dick Johnson commented on the all new Ford Falcon in 1982.

Declaring on national TV " That this car is such a Terrible Dog, it needs to be tied to a fence and shot !"

or another beauty " I've got about as much grip as a dog on lino"

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 3

Having caught up with the Singapore race...

Oh well, I suspect that is the 2017 championship decided now. I sort of called it after the Italian race, but following Singapore am even more convinced that this year it will be Hamilton then Vettel in the championship standings.

I suspect Vettel would only have a chance now if Hamilton failed to score points at one, or more, of the remaining events.

I think that, for me at least, the fact that Hamilton wasn't leading the championship helped to keep things interesting. Now that he is leading, and by more than a race win, with half a dozen events left I can't see Vettel coming back from that unless something out of the ordinary occurs. Happy to be proved wrong of course.

On another subject, something I noticed in the Frank Gardner clip - no gloves...

• Like 2

There was an Aussie who used to commentate on the British Touring Cars back in the days when the BBC used to show it - can't remember his name unfortunately.  I remember him describing a driver defending against a faster, and very determined driver glued to his rear bumper (probably Frank Sytner) by saying: "Right now now he's as busy as a one-armed paper hanger".

I think he used to do the British and World Superbikes as well.  Ah, those were the days...the reaction from the crowd in the main grandstand as Suzi Perry did the grid walk at Brands Hatch.  She wasn't just there to look pretty, either, she knew her stuff.

Ooh, look what I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45KqfrSHL40&feature=youtu.be&t=75

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 2

Having caught up with the Singapore race...

Oh well, I suspect that is the 2017 championship decided now. I sort of called it after the Italian race, but following Singapore am even more convinced that this year it will be Hamilton then Vettel in the championship standings.

I suspect Vettel would only have a chance now if Hamilton failed to score points at one, or more, of the remaining events.

I think that, for me at least, the fact that Hamilton wasn't leading the championship helped to keep things interesting. Now that he is leading, and by more than a race win, with half a dozen events left I can't see Vettel coming back from that unless something out of the ordinary occurs. Happy to be proved wrong of course.

On another subject, something I noticed in the Frank Gardner clip - no gloves...

Now Bottas has settled we may see something more from him, both the protect Hamilton's lead & to catch Vettel.

On Suzi Perry, I can remember her presenting the WRC programmes on C4.

One occasion the winning drivers sprayed her with champagne from behind as she was doing a piece to camera. She said one of the 'forbidden' words live on air and from memory didn't present the WRC coverage for much longer afterwards. A shame really - if that was the cause, it was hardly her fault.

But that is deviating somewhat from Formula 1...

• RMweb Gold

Now Bottas has settled we may see something more from him, both the protect Hamilton's lead & to catch Vettel.

He does seem to be consistently quite a bit off Hamilton's pace though.

One of the commentators last week suggested there's something about the Merc's rear suspension set-up that he's not comfortable with, and Hamilton copes with it better.

John

• RMweb Gold

I also spotted the nice white socks and loafers. Reminded me of the clip of Senna driving the NSX around Suzaka.

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 1

Stroll has shaped up well in recent races, but the buckets of lovely money his daddy brings may just be helping.

I agree, one lucky Race and one lucky Qualifying doesn't bring massive points to a Team. At the moment I rate him as 3rd rate, you have the leading 4, then the likes of Kimi / Hulk / Sainz then the third tier who are only there because there Cars are quicker than Sauber, and McLaren etc.

I would hope, (being a Patriotic Englishman) that De Resta gets the job over Kubica, as nice a story as that might be, I do think he has missed his prime, and also Paul acquitted himself well when he jumped in at an hours notice for PM.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

I personally hope that Kubica makes a comeback with Williams, and I do predict that Stroll will suprise you all. Yes, his sponsorship carries with it a certain advantage, but people do forget that he has won many championships through his sheer talent as well as the big bucks. Don't count him out yet

Btw, Aston martin has announced that they will be the Red Bull title sponsor for next year

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/132012/aston-martin-becomes-red-bull-title-sponsor

I would hope, (being a Patriotic Englishman) the De Riesta gets the job over Kubica, as nice a story as that might be, I do think he has missed his prime, and also Paul acquitted himself well when he jumped in at an hours notice for PM.

Even though Di Resta is not himself an Englishman of any sort?

Strolls F3 championship came when opposition was very limited owing to rule changes .You can win all the championships  until  real opposition rears its ugly head  but it just depends who is running against you with what team and what car .I know at least one F1 driver personally that won  the lot but didnt make any impact on F1 as he just wasnt quick enough .He is good at GT racing though which was  his actual limit  all along .

Here's another C R A Z Y example of the S T U P I D penalty points system, Fernado could have possibly have had to in cure a penalty had Honda NOT been able to salvage the Engine, It was Vettels accident, who then hit Max, who then hit FA. it would have been CRIMINAL to penalise him again for that.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/20813675/honda-salvaged-fernando-alonso-singapore-engine