The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

57xx

I'm surprised at how surprised the teams were over the time it took for the track to dry out.  This being the tenth running of the Singapore GP and always in the evening.  Surely experience shows them how humidity rises as the temperature falls slightly, there is very little evaporation and the roads tend to feel greasy, even when there has been no rain in the past few hours.

Actually I disagree with the "experts" - I'd say the track was too wet for the start and it would have been better had they started under safety car conditions, releasing the cars to race after about three laps.  As we saw, Verstappen tried to brake to avoid being sandwiched - it was probably too late anyway, but the wet conditions didn't help.

Irrespective of the good fortune presented, Hamilton did an excellent job of bringing the car home, despite losing his leading margin on successive safety cars.

Actually I disagree with the "experts" - I'd say the track was too wet for the start and it would have been better had they started under safety car conditions, releasing the cars to race after about three laps.  As we saw, Verstappen tried to brake to avoid being sandwiched - it was probably too late anyway, but the wet conditions didn't help.

We have seen far worse conditions at starts in the past - and let's face it, had the start been under the safety car then it really would have been a procession. No, these are supposedly the best drivers in the world - let 'em race.

Analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czHPM0UjLNc

Conclusion: Max was not to blame, Vettel was taking too much risk and Kimi should have been more considerate about his team mate's position at the start. Unfortunate victim is Alonso, who could have gotten some points for the team.

Thanks for posting this, was not convinced before but now sure Vettel is to blame

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting this, was not convinced before but now sure Vettel is to blame

I think Kimi had as much a part to play in it too. Scything up the inside like that, there was no was he'd have made the first corner on that line without running wide on the exit, he had sight of Max trying to avoid Vettel cutting across and misjudged it enough to clip his rear wheel on Max. 

Here's a Dutch view on it with some good on-board from Max trying to taking avoiding action from all sides:

• Like 2

We have seen far worse conditions at starts in the past - and let's face it, had the start been under the safety car then it really would have been a procession. No, these are supposedly the best drivers in the world - let 'em race.

I don't think the wet conditions had anything to do with what happened at the start - all four drivers involved were fully in control of their vehicles until the moment bits started coming off...

Guest CLARENCE

Looking at all these clips, and also while watching on TV, I can't help but admire Hamilton's smooth slide through the mess to take the lead from 5th on the grid. Now that's good driving and great reactions, no matter who was at fault for the mayhem.

Looking at all these clips, and also while watching on TV, I can't help but admire Hamilton's smooth slide through the mess to take the lead from 5th on the grid. Now that's good driving and great reactions, no matter who was at fault for the mayhem.

And AlFonso was teed up for a nice 3rd place at the time, he probably wouldn't have held it, but it would have been good to see him mixing it with Bottas and Riciardo  all the same.

Surprised not to see any mention on here of the programme which was on C4 on Sunday evening about Guy Martin joining the Williams pit crew.

One thing that surprised me was that although his role was as a "wheel off" mechanic, he had to carry the new wheel out into the pit lane, which I would have expected to have been the "wheel on" mechanic's responsibility.

• Like 1

Surprised not to see any mention on here of the programme which was on C4 on Sunday evening about Guy Martin joining the Williams pit crew.

One thing that surprised me was that although his role was as a "wheel off" mechanic, he had to carry the new wheel out into the pit lane, which I would have expected to have been the "wheel on" mechanic's responsibility.

I didn't see the program, Her indoors had other things SHE wanted to watch, but yes that is surprising.

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering that too, I would have thought he would need to be there in position to get the wheel off right away, then the "wheel on" guy can faff around as they change their mind with tyre choice and not delay the first part of the process. I can see why he had the spare wheel nut, the "wheel on" guy would be holding the new wheel on the hub, the gun guy will be holding the wheel gun, so he is the logical choice once his "wheel off" task is completed.

Given that Williams are the pit stop record holders, who are we to question it? :D

• Like 2

I am sorry to hear this, think Fred Dibner but a lot more interesting...

Oi!  Guy Martin is undoubtedly a character and gets up to all sorts of stuff - his record-breaking cycle ride across that desert in China was pretty impressive - but I won't stand for anyone dissing Fred!

• Like 3

I  felt he was somewhat short-changed by the team, considering the likes of Richard Hammond has had a woeful attempt to drive a F1 car and other Bike riders have tested for them. His presence there seemed to be merely tolerated by the Team. 

I'm also fairly certain that Ross Kemp (or a similar character) has previously held the fuel shield for another team during a F1 pit stop, making the programmme's claim that Guy Martin was the first outsider to do so somewhat spurious...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Most of the team (including all the leaders) were on intermediate tyres. Even before the ensuing carnage it was going to be an exciting race, in a way that any race with a drying track and a significant variation in strategy among the teams will always be.

If the entire field deems extreme wets necessary (a la Interlagos last year) then maybe start under the safety car, but not when most (and justifiably so) thought the intermediate was appropriate.

Most of the team (including all the leaders) were on intermediate tyres. Even before the ensuing carnage it was going to be an exciting race, in a way that any race with a drying track and a significant variation in strategy among the teams will always be.

If the entire field deems extreme wets necessary (a la Interlagos last year) then maybe start under the safety car, but not when most (and justifiably so) thought the intermediate was appropriate.

Look, I realise I'm in a minority (of one) and also going against my own instinct that I would prefer a start on the grid behind one behind a safety car. But having seen the amount of surface water and spray on the formation lap, I fully expected a few 'incidents' on the opening lap (probably among the Grosjeans, the Kvyats or the Magnussens, rather than the Vettels et al.). The teams' decision to start on intermediate tyres was a gamble, hoping that their drivers could keep on the black bit until the tyres came into their advantage after two or three laps, and I suspect in some cases following what the rest of the top order were doing, rather than risk a disadvantage.