The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

57xx

It was a good race, depending on where you looked. Vettel did very well to come through from the back and the midfield fighting was great to watch but you never even saw the leader. Hamilton scampered off into the distance, never to be seen again. At no point was he even challenged.

Edited by Chameleon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was lucky enough to be in attendance. It was great fun to watch.

I had my Union Jack out for Hamilton, but it was also great to see Lance Stroll get his first F1 points in front of his home crowd. He did some good overtaking and deserved his 9th place finish in the Williams. 

Tom

• Like 5

What a contrast to the procession of Monaco, cracking Race, and deserving winner. 

Baku could be back to a Monaco procession again though.

Baku does/did have that long straight near the end of the lap - think it was touted as the longest in contemporary F1. Hopefully can pass there, even if nowhere else, although I recall there was a section around half way where overtakes were possible.

Plus Max'll hopefully find some other places too.

I don't think the lack of successful overtaking is to do with the width of the cars. They were pretty wide back in the 70's and early 80's and I'm pretty sure I recall seeing blokes stuff it up the inside without wiping each other out at every attempt, sometimes even at Monaco ;).

attachicon.gifronnie.jpg

Ronnie Peterson's Lotus 72 (I don't think they came much wider !!)

No doubt the width of the cars is a factor, but ...

Alain Prost drove one of his early 80s turbo cars, no slimline beast, around the circuit as part of some anniversary for Renault and when interviewed afterwards he remarked on how 'open' the circuit is now compared to when he used to race there. 'tis true, a lot of Armco has been moved back, or removed altogether since then. However Prost usually started at or near the front...

Most people remember 1992 when Senna broke Mansells 100% win record there after Nige had to pit for a puncture, but I also remember Olivier Grouillard keeping a much faster David Coulthard behind him for practically the entire race.

• RMweb Premium

No doubt the width of the cars is a factor, but ...

Alain Prost drove one of his early 80s turbo cars, no slimline beast, around the circuit as part of some anniversary for Renault and when interviewed afterwards he remarked on how 'open' the circuit is now compared to when he used to race there. 'tis true, a lot of Armco has been moved back, or removed altogether since then. However Prost usually started at or near the front...

Most people remember 1992 when Senna broke Mansells 100% win record there after Nige had to pit for a puncture, but I also remember Olivier Grouillard keeping a much faster David Coulthard behind him for practically the entire race.

Or in 2001, where Enrique Bernoldi bottled up David Coulthard for much of the race.

• RMweb Gold

So, if I get this correctly, Fernando will be starting the Baku GP from the pit lane in Monaco?

It's his best chance of a points finish!

• RMweb Premium

If they go back any further, McLaren will need a flux capacitor.

Problem is, can the current Honda powered car make 88mph?

Cheers,

Mick

Rethinking Canada.  In the close season, I thought Perez perhaps deserved and would have been the second seat at Mercedes.  He certainly had a future in one of the big teams.  However, would those teams now want someone who isn't a team player when needed, to the extent he possibly cost his team/team-mate a podium finish?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rethinking Canada. In the close season, I thought Perez perhaps deserved and would have been the second seat at Mercedes. He certainly had a future in one of the big teams. However, would those teams now want someone who isn't a team player when needed, to the extent he possibly cost his team/team-mate a podium finish?

He did the same at Sauber before he went to McLaren.

• RMweb Premium

Could be a good race I reckon. Given the extend to which virtually everyone was struggling with braking and getting used to the escape roads I wonder if we'll see mistakes under pressure.

Or... it could be a procession like last year. Great qualifying effort by Lewis again, that's two consecutive races he's really upped the stakes in Q3.

• RMweb Gold

Best quali I've seen in ages. By all accounts practice had been a tricky time for many and the tyres were totally unfamiliar in characteristics, despite the heat. Yet quali had relatively few real offs, so cooler conditions, paradoxically, seem to have made the cars more predictable. My slight knowledge of physics tells me turbos work better in cooler conditions - they can pump in more air - so power increased a mite, too.

The race may be more processional, but at least the red cars are ready to pounce.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Unusually yesterday I saw - or actually heard - much of the C4 prelim puff. Eddie Jordan's ridiculous questions to Toto Wolff smack of manufactured sensationalism, nothing more or less. EJ may have had some cred as a team-manager - but as a wise pundit he is an embarrassment. I will not get caught watching today until nearly the parade lap!

• Like 1