The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

57xx

Well I thoroughly enjoyed the Race from start to finish, and talking of FINISH.

What a nice gesture from Mr Misery with the young lad that was shown crying in the Grandstands after his crash, a brilliant bit of PR for Ferrari.

Armchair and remote booked for Monaco.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Only a complete cynic* would suggest that it is because the Battersea Bog Cleaners no longer televise the GP, and therefore aren't worried if people don't tune into the highlights later in the day.

*like me

They've always done it, nothing to do with TV rights. What does annoy me is that they start with the winner's name: "Lewis Hamilton has won the British Grand Prix", rather than saying "and in formula 1..." giving you time to turn it off!

Great race though!

I keep away from ALL TV / Radio on Race Days when it's just Highlights, and even here now, although someone on here did post a Status update last year stating who had won, and you cant avoid seeing that unfortunately.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I keep away from ALL TV / Radio on Race Days when it's just Highlights, and even here now, although someone on here did post a Status update last year stating who had won, and you cant avoid seeing that unfortunately.

Click the X at the top right of the Status panel, it will collapse it so you don't have to read them.

• RMweb Gold

Click the X at the top right of the Status panel, it will collapse it so you don't have to read them.

If I feel the need to disclose my status, I use Early Risers in Wheeltappers, where such things are welcomed. I have never enabled the status column. 

We did agree last year that those who watched the live race via other than free-to-air had the right to disclose results. So I ignore this thread until I know what happened. 

Cheers Ric, I hadn't thought of that, I'll do it before the next Highlight Race just in case.

• Like 2

If I feel the need to disclose my status, I use Early Risers in Wheeltappers, where such things are welcomed. I have never enabled the status column. 

We did agree last year that those who watched the live race via other than free-to-air had the right to disclose results. So I ignore this thread until I know what happened. 

Yes I do think that was a good move, so I stay away from here as well, ahhah.

• RMweb Gold

I see the prospect of Silverstone abandoning the GP from 2019 is being aired again. Liberty, who have significant debt and are not yet able to be philanthropic - and probably never will be - seem to be saying that renegotiation will not be considered. Apparently Silverstone have actually asked HMG for money. I'm sure all you UK taxpayers would rather see it spent on supporting moneymakers than the NHS or skools, of course.  

Was hoping that Seb could've held on and won in Spain, but the Bott Merc put paid to that -  held him up giving Lewis the chance to catch and pass him.................hmmm - great race though, Monaco should be good also,now Ferarri are back in the hunt this season.. It will also be interesting to see how Jenson copes with this years new car/regs  having not driven this season. 

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Like 2

Was hoping that Seb could've held on and won in Spain, but the Bott Merc put paid to that -  held him up giving Lewis the chance to catch and pass him.................hmmm - great race though, Monaco should be good also,now Ferarri are back in the hunt this season.. It will also be interesting to see how Jenson copes with this years new car/regs  having not driven this season. 

As long as JB remembers how wide the cars are now when skirting the Barriers.

The Red Cars may have the advantage with the shorter wheel base in Monaco, but it's good that the gap at the top has been closed again and no single Driver is running off into the distance, although I do think the rest will be MANY Points behind the top two at the end of the year.

A large second to third gap is much less boring than a large first to second gap. Good that Mercedes and Ferrari are able to compete with each other. It's much more fun than when the top two are the same colour.

Shame it had to be those two though...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This thought made me chuckle , Danny Ric finished 3rd , 75 secs behind on a 1' 25 ish lap time ,

so the winners were actually 10 secs behind him .    :jester:

I think that's called lateral thinking.

ISTR Shakespeare in one of his plays suggesting that a man who has not gone to bed and is still awake in the morning is up early!

• Like 3

Well I thoroughly enjoyed the Race from start to finish, and talking of FINISH.

What a nice gesture from Mr Misery with the young lad that was shown crying in the Grandstands after his crash, a brilliant bit of PR for Ferrari.

Armchair and remote booked for Monaco.

Red bull have signed the boy .They think Verstappen may be peaking .

Red bull have signed the boy .They think Verstappen may be peaking .

They think Verstappen may be peaking .

One thing for sure, who would bet against Max becoming F1 Champion in the future - once he's in a car capable of winning races....................it's a shame he was not available to take the vacant Merc seat..............

• RMweb Gold

I see the prospect of Silverstone abandoning the GP from 2019 is being aired again. Liberty, who have significant debt and are not yet able to be philanthropic - and probably never will be - seem to be saying that renegotiation will not be considered. Apparently Silverstone have actually asked HMG for money. I'm sure all you UK taxpayers would rather see it spent on supporting moneymakers than the NHS or skools, of course.  

Liberty are hinting to the financial world of some changes to come and have seemingly been analysing which venues of recent times have been pulling in 'corporate entertainment' type money and apparently there are some stark differences.  What seems to be the case - reading between the lines - is that the places where Bernie went in order to attract government type hosting money to F1 are not necessarily being seen as offering the wider commercial attractiveness (and incidental income/coverage) of other circuits such as those in the original heartland of F1 racing.   So changes might well be on the cards.

• RMweb Gold

If anyone is interested in Alonso's progress at Indy, he seems to have landed in the Top 9 final shootout for pole. Not bad for a first try. 

Former F1 pilot Sebastien Bourdais, four times Indycar Champion, crashed heavily in the quali session, has a broken pelvis and hip. He comes from Mulsanne, famous for the long straight at the Le Mans circuit. When Deb was first in rehab, she briefly shared a hospital room with an older lady who had been the baker's wife in that village. As a child, Bourdais would come and buy the family bread in her shop. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just an update on Alonso - he starts 5th in the race next weekend. His average speed for his best lap was just over 231 mph, which is knocking on. Kiwi Scott Dixon took pole with a lap about 1mph faster. When you consider it is virtually a one-make series these days, all cars being Dallaras, almost all engines Honda, the similarity in speeds is predictable.

When the Brits went to Indy in the '60s, the Lotus and Lola were regarded as fragile and not the way to go. Front-engined roadsters with Offenhauser engines ruled the roost. The Brits, using F1-derived cars, changed that forever. I would hesitate to say making everyone use the same chassis adds much to the spectacle. But there are those who think that is also the way to level the F1 playing field.

I do hope not.