The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

57xx

The shark fins, I could learn to live with.

It's the various appendages that resemble coat hangers that annoy Me.

I once had an really old Chrysler that had the aerial for the radio broken off, so I used an old wire coat hanger, but at least I made the effort to bend it into the shape of Australia !!!!! A bit like this ......

post-23233-0-68287300-1491870292.jpg

Lewis could hang his washing on the thing fitted to his car and dry it out in Free Practice. Absolutely No Creative thought gone into it. ;)

post-23233-0-03290100-1491870036.jpg

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 1

So Malaysia is gone, how sad..........

It always seemed a daft place to race, especially as so few seemed to actually watch the damned race.

I hope that the post - Napoleon era will see common sense prevailing and the races actually taking place where they will be watched.

As to todays farce? China seems bedevilled with weather issues, does the race really need to be now, in April?

I'd disagree - on both counts.  

Sepang is a lovely circuit, a peoples' racetrack in that it has the lowest entry prices (AFAIK) of any of the circuits on the present calendar - and is usually full on race day.  Why on earth the powers that run F1 persist with the awful tracks of oil-rich Baku (the mis-named "European Grand Prix") and Sochi should be the question on the table - they are poor circuits for fans of motorsport, but are there purely because money talks.  Bring back Kyalami - it's about time the African continent was included.

Secondly, I think many welcome wet/dry racing conditions as it tends to even out the gaps between teams and favours the best drivers.  Holding the Chinese GP in January in Harbin might be a bit extreme - but I hope for some weather variety as the season progresses.

• RMweb Gold

Why on earth the powers that run F1 persist with the awful tracks of oil-rich Baku (the mis-named "European Grand Prix") and Sochi should be the question on the table - they are poor circuits for fans of motorsport, but are there purely because money talks. 

Simply, as you concluded at the end of your sentence, they paid Bernie lots of money. However he has gone, the new management have hinted that historic European tracks are central to F1. Give them time, I'm sure the Bernie get rich quick schemes will eventually be dropped.

In other news, it appears Alonso has found a better offer to that of driving the McLaren at Monaco.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39576099

• Like 1

Simply, as you concluded at the end of your sentence, they paid Bernie lots of money. However he has gone, the new management have hinted that historic European tracks are central to F1. Give them time, I'm sure the Bernie get rich quick schemes will eventually be dropped.

In other news, it appears Alonso has found a better offer to that of driving the McLaren at Monaco.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39576099

It's not that it's a better offer - though if he were to win it would be lucrative. He has decided he wants to become the second person to win the F1 championship, Indianapolis and Le Mans - like Graham Hill.

Given that it may take several attempts to win Indy he needs to start now (he's 35). He can take on Le Mans in his 40s. 

I think it's laudable, we need more drivers who know that there is more to racing than F1, and teams that allow them to do it.

• RMweb Gold

Think it's a good move by Honda to keep him happy and get some positive press.

Quite. This is a talented driver utterly compromised by the car he is contracted to drive in F1. This Indy drive represents a very powerful goodwill gesture to keep him taking the present bitter medicine. They know that if Honda finds the magic bullet for their engine then they can be winners. They need Alonso on board to maximise that opportunity.

• RMweb Gold

It's not that it's a better offer - though if he were to win it would be lucrative. He has decided he wants to become the second person to win the F1 championship, Indianapolis and Le Mans - like Graham Hill.

Given that it may take several attempts to win Indy he needs to start now (he's 35). He can take on Le Mans in his 40s. 

I think it's laudable, we need more drivers who know that there is more to racing than F1, and teams that allow them to do it.

Better offers don't have to be about money... ;) I was referring to a drive where he wouldn't be having to wonder whether he would finish the race or not and an opportunity to  further his ambitions (e.g. doing the triple).

I agree it is a good move by both himself, to expand his racing talent and by McLaren and Honda in allowing him to pursue it.

Edited by 57xx

Quite. This is a talented driver utterly compromised by the car he is contracted to drive in F1. This Indy drive represents a very powerful goodwill gesture to keep him taking the present bitter medicine. They know that if Honda finds the magic bullet for their engine then they can be winners. They need Alonso on board to maximise that opportunity.

And interestingly, the Andretti is powered by a Honda engine that seems to work, and works very well. That points to the key issue for them in F1 being the design of the hybrid interface, and all the associated gubbins, rather than the traction.

• RMweb Gold

And interestingly, the Andretti is powered by a Honda engine that seems to work, and works very well. That points to the key issue for them in F1 being the design of the hybrid interface, and all the associated gubbins, rather than the traction.

I think over this Winter they have re-packaged the various power train components to more closely resemble the Mercedes layout. Evidently this didn't do the trick. I am utterly lost in what MG-U and MG-K etc all refer to. The powertrain now has as much mystique as the aerodynamics.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think over this Winter they have re-packaged the various power train components to more closely resemble the Mercedes layout. Evidently this didn't do the trick. I am utterly lost in what MG-U and MG-K etc all refer to. The powertrain now has as much mystique as the aerodynamics.

I always have to stop and think which MGU-H and MGU-K are. The simplest way I have found is just remember K=Kinetic so therefore that is the one that recovers energy through braking. Since the other unit is on the turbo I thought it would be MGU-T, but I beleive the H is for Hybrid which doesn't really identify which bit of the whole power unit it might be in, so stick with remembering K :) THE MGU-H recovers energy from the turbo and then redeploys it by using the unit as a motor to spin the turbo up at low revs to eliminate turbo lag.

From what I have seen, they have indeed copied the Merc layout - splitting the turbo in two and putting the compressor and turbine at opposite ends of the engine block, putting the MGU-H in between them and nestling it in the V of the cylinders giving a nice compact layout. Splitting the turbo stops the heat being transferred from the hot turbine to the air in the compressor (the air still gets hot by the act of compressing it but now requires less cooling, so you get smaller, more easily packaged intercoolers. A potential pitfall of splitting the turbo like that is that the very long shaft connecting the two ends has to be exceptionally well balanced to as not to cause vibration.

Indy cars burn ethanol fuel, are 2.2 litre and have twin turbos, so the requirements of the engine design will be very different. Just because they are both V6 doesn't mean you can say that because their Indy engine works, an F1 IC unit would automatically work well from the start. I think they have issues in all aspects of the powertrain.

• RMweb Premium

Close - H is for heat not hybrid, from Google which backs up your synopsis:

MGU-H (where the 'h' stands for heat) is an energy recovery system connected to the turbocharger of the engine and converts heat energy from exhaust gases into electrical energy. The energy can then be used to power the MGU-K (and thus returned to the drivetrain)

Jo

• RMweb Gold

Close - H is for heat not hybrid, from Google which backs up your synopsis:

That makes sense now, the last letter being the source type of energy recover. Part of that Google quote is ambiguous I think: 

"The energy can then be used to power the MGU-K (and thus returned to the drivetrain)"

The energy recovered from both units is stored in a single battery, so it can be redeployed in either recover device when it is in motor mode. That is also not clear in my previous post. 

• Like 1

Button Confirmed, GOOD He loves the curcuit and may well add some valuable Points for the Team.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/19155689/mclaren-confirms-button-alonso-monaco-replacement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39599645

Plus it would be cool to see Fred win an Indy 500. Most American drivers nowadays are unfortunately rather mediocre (relatively speaking).

Best, Pete.

• Like 4

Well an cracking Quali today, and we should be on for a good Race tomorrow providing Vettel can keep up, mind you it wouldn't surprise me to see young Max get past him early on and chase after the Merc's.

• Like 1