The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

57xx

So Malaysia is gone, how sad..........

It always seemed a daft place to race, especially as so few seemed to actually watch the damned race.

I hope that the post - Napoleon era will see common sense prevailing and the races actually taking place where they will be watched.

As to todays farce? China seems bedevilled with weather issues, does the race really need to be now, in April?

The US neither wants it nor needs it. It has many highly successful racing formulae of its own, none of which incurs the ridiculous costs of F1. Let F1 be concentrated back in Europe, where it started, and where all the traditional great teams have always been based. That wouldn't suit Liberty, of course, for whom profit is the only motivation, and the US is seen as the land of promise. But they may have a hard time getting the most out of the sport in that continent, where it simply isn't needed. Existing single-seater championships there are a poor second to the simplistic but affordable and accessible NASCAR.

I can see entirely why you would draw that conclusion, but I have also seen growing disillusion with the NASCAR scene (on various motor sport sites), as boring, predictable and simplistic. It strikes me as only a slight notch above the banger racing I used to go watch at Harringay as a spotty teen. NASCAR has little to do with road car development or innovative technology, and remains a red-neck sport. Despite Trumpism, there appears to be a growing hankering for something a little more sophisticated. The fact that Eccles screwed it up due to money grabbing, should not deter Liberty from having another go. But I totally concur that Europe lies at its heart, despite post WW2 conditions - the much richer USA did not embrace the potential even then.

And probably end up just as a USA series.

The French and German races will be back by 2018, and Liberty say that, as well as an extra US race, they are going to concentrate on 'traditional' circuits.

• Like 4

Liberty (Like Bernie before them) doesn't just want American money, they want everyone's. Aside from that, a continent the size and population of North America ought to be able to support more than just two races (Austin & Montreal).

Three races, if you include Mexico City.

In the 1970s there was a US East and US West GPs. I can't remember the name of the circuit that held the East race, somewhere in the North East surprisingly enough, but that seemed to be a 'good' circuit.

As for Europe, there is at least one circuit in Portugal that has been used in recent (1990s) times, and Zandvoort in Holland has been on the verge of returning to the calendar on at least one occasion.

France once had several race tracks, although as road tracks they are probably all gone (changed) now, with the notable exception of Le Mans. Would F1 cars work around the Le Mans circuit, he asks knowing nothing of Le Mans racing? I do like the idea of giving Paul Ricard another go, although I hope they use the long circuit rather than the short track.

Germany 'needs' a race, although neither of the current tracks really inspire me as a watcher. I did like the previous Hockenheim layout, it may have been simple but there was a place for long blasts through the forests to offset some of the slower, more technical, tracks that were on the calendar at the time.

The original layout in Austria was a beast, and while unfortunately we cannot return all elements of that circuit to use, I would like to see the existing track extended by reinstating some of the original layout between turns 2 and 3, which essentially chopped out around half of the original layout.

Would quite happily see Hungary dropped from the calendar. Never liked that track.

Not sure what else, if anything, is or was in Eastern Europe other than Hungary from 1986 and the new layouts in Russia and Baku? Was there motor racing in the Iron Curtain days?

I'm rambling now, something of a wish list none of which is likely to happen :-(

Another ramble, as I realised after posting that I had forgotten Spain :-)

Barcelona might be a decent race track, but as it is also the winter testing circuit everybody knows it back to front and inside out therefore the racing is rather predictable. Would rather the winter testing not take place at a circuit that is is used during the season.But where would they go? [sepang: joke] Paul Ricard would be other obvious candidate, but I'd rather they raced there. Unless there is something in the southern part of Italy that might be suitable?

And I had managed to forget Turkey too. Thought that was a decent circuit, would like to see that return to the calendar. Just about making the fringes of Europe.

Was there ever any racing in Greece? Cannot think of a circuit there. And - possibly putting the cat among the pigeons - Israel seems to be considered as part of Europe for various competitions ...

As an outlier, there is South Africa. A long way away but on a similar timezone to Europe. Although again would have to be the original, long, layout not the sawn-off travesty that was used a couple of times in the early 1990s before being discarded.

Stuff it, can we just go back to 1970 please :-) With some modern doo-hickeys like t'Internet, digital photo and videos etc.

• Like 1

Zandvoort is like Brands Hatch; a superb circuit but not in step with today's F1, either financially or the design of the cars, which are now too large and cumbersome for 'finesse' circuits. You only have to watch them at Monaco to see that.

• RMweb Premium

AS for North America, I'd dispute Mexico as part of that, it's a long way from Houston to Mexico City! Never mind the abundant populace on the Westcoast (LA, Bay-area) so should a 3rd race be required, it will probably be in LA or the Bay area. Problem is, being so densely populated, there's very little room for a brand new F1 circuit, with the parking problems it creates. But then, there is El Mirage, CA.... ;)

Mexico is in North America officially, not sure how you can dispute that. Also not sure of the relevance of distance, Montreal is about twice as far from Houston as Mexico City, is Montreal not North America either...?

As for locating near population I'll eat my hat if it goes to California. How many people actually go to a GP versus watching on TV? California is too 'eco friendly' to build a new circuit, and I'm not sure Laguna Seca would work...

• RMweb Gold

Le Mans was mentioned. There is the short Bugatti circuit within the curtilege of the main circuit, which was built decades ago specifically for F1 racing, but as Smiffy says about Brands and Zands, hardly meets modern F1 needs. The main circuit at LM is over 8 miles, which means too few laps in the max 200 miles of a GP. And since more than half of it is still public roads the emergency facilities etc probably do not meet F1 specs. Basic security is also an issue. For the 24 hr race cameras on the public road section are only erected at the last minute, i.e. after qualification, due to the risk of theft!

AS for North America, I'd dispute Mexico as part of that, it's a long way from Houston to Mexico City! Never mind the abundant populace on the Westcoast (LA, Bay-area) so should a 3rd race be required, it will probably be in LA or the Bay area. Problem is, being so densely populated, there's very little room for a brand new F1 circuit, with the parking problems it creates. But then, there is El Mirage, CA.... ;)

Just hold it at Laguna Seca, for the corkscrew if nothing else...

• RMweb Gold

Just hold it at Laguna Seca, for the corkscrew if nothing else...

Sadly the corkscrew would have to be emasculated to meet F1's safety standards, I suspect. I'm sure Monaco only gets away with its difficult bits due to grandfather rights.

• Like 1

If they can't run the race they could always get the Scalextric out, it would be more enjoyable to watch.  :jester:

Done !!!!!

post-23233-0-07155600-1491648236.jpg

My 1975 Grand Prix 8 set with DN1 Shadow's still all complete and original (except for New Tyres and Braids).

I remember the day My Dad brought it home, that was over 40 years ago. I still love that artwork on the box.

Lets Race :)

DRS doesn't appear to be effective anymore as no-one could pass using it. A couple of good overtakes from Vettel proving he can race but still a race of tedium. Someone needs to remind Verstappen that backmarkers don't need to be blue flagged if you can't catch them up. The changes to the cars and tyres hasn't worked :( 

DRS was never a proper solution really was it ?

The fact that Vettel and a few others managed to pull off some pretty good passes, indicates to Me that it's still possible to overtake. The rest of them need to forget about artificial aids to help them and just follow Sebastian's lead and do it the old fashioned way, take a deep breath and dive in.

What James Hunt used to put down to -  "Big Balls" ;)

Funny how Verstappen was moaning about understeer when following back markers (at some distance) but Riccardio managed to stay right on Max's tail.

Crikey some of these blokes need to stop whinging and just try and get on with it. (Only partly tongue in cheek !)

DRS was never a proper solution really was it ?

I still laugh about DRS. Having banned the concept (movable aerodynamic devices) from racing in the '60s, F1 decided that that the should resurrect the it (with silly restrictions) in the hopes that, by giving the following car an advantage, they would get better (although not fairer) racing. I consider it to be as silly as forcing teams to use the wrong tires for part of the race (an idea they stole from Indycar).

Adrian

Not a classic race then. I was hoping for more water to liven it up a bit. But well done to Lewis for holding his nerve on the tyres.

I hope Jo Palmer can up his game. I know it's early days but he seems to be a very cautious driver for this sport?

Autosport rated Hamilton and Vettel as 10/10 for the race; Raikkonen at 6/10.

He's inconsistent and spends too much time not concentrating on his race, it's likely he'll be let go unless he steps up.

Autosport rated Hamilton and Vettel as 10/10 for the race; Raikkonen at 6/10.

He's inconsistent and spends too much time not concentrating on his race, it's likely he'll be let go unless he steps up.

And early once Wehrlein is back in his seat?

• RMweb Gold

My money would be on the Italian. :yes:  After all, we're talkin' Italians here :rolleyes:

The one who crashed? Twice. At the same spot. In the same weekend.

The DRS was interesting to see in action on the Red bulls. Dan seemed to make no real headway in catching Max with his flap open. I've never been a fan of it and these only went to highlight how ineffective it now is. Talking of movable aerodynamic devices, did anyone else see the shark fin on the Williams flapping round like a flimsy fence panel in a gale?

Talking of movable aerodynamic devices, did anyone else see the shark fin on the Williams flapping round like a flimsy fence panel in a gale?

Since they have limits on how far an aerodynamic device can flex (due to some rather well designed front wings a few years ago) you would have thought that the scrutineers would have had the fin-wings banned by now.

Adrian