The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

57xx

OK. But he will influence (decide?) the technical rules, whether that be racing rules, engineering maxima and minima specs, safety requirements (presumably) and so on, which is what I meant, as opposed to commercial arrangements. I would guess that a key problem here will be that those decisions will significantly affect commercial matters, and vv, so it creates a level of potential conflict not present currently (other than between the teams and F1). It could protract debate, not reduce it, which may not help matters.

I'm sure if we try hard we can see all sorts of problems. Given that he has been in post about three days and has only spoken in the broadest terms, perhaps we should just wait a bit and see what happens.

On the other hand, away from strange fantasies, Ross Brawn has set out some ideas (from BBC)

"Formula 1's new racing boss Ross Brawn says he wants to develop a purer, simpler sport in which more teams and drivers can win.

The ex-Mercedes team boss, who has been appointed managing director of racing by F1's new owner, was critical of some rule changes of recent years.

Brawn said he wanted to "narrow the gap between the top and bottom" of the field and give F1 a broader appeal.

"I have ideas we should study and perhaps use in 2018 or 19," he said.

Brawn pointed to the example of football's Premier League, where Leicester City were able to transform themselves from relegation candidates to champions in the space of 12 months and on a limited budget."

I've watched a lot of US televised racing, and the coverage is variable, but nothing like the scenario above. Broadcasters seem to have an understanding that both the general and the enthusiast audience has a place.

Sky's excellent coverage is better, but I don't see why they can't continue to provide the same service.

Liberty can't have it both ways. They say they want a bigger TV audience. I don't know about other countries, but in the UK a lot (most?) of us won't pay to watch an event that is a two-hour long advert. I note with amusement that they have a link with Murdoch's empire as of course do Sky.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Liberty can't have it both ways. They say they want a bigger TV audience. I don't know about other countries, but in the UK a lot (most?) of us won't pay to watch an event that is a two-hour long advert. I note with amusement that they have a link with Murdoch's empire as of course do Sky.

Ed

They can start by offering pay for view streaming services. F1 is so far behind the times digitally compared to all other major sports. Edited by OnTheBranchline

They can start by offering pay for view streaming services. F1 is so far behind the times digitally compared to all other major sports.

Absolutely, as I posted earlier. They could also claw back the audiences lost in the past few seasons.

As far as I understand the situation, RB will be in charge of everything on the track, and everything involved in the teams coming to the track to race . This will include levelling the playing field in terms of finances available to the teams as well as the technical regulations and sporting code.

Others will be responsible for the commercial aspects of the business - i.e. television rights, race sponsorship, trackside advertising, new tracks etc.)

So I think that RB will be able to address the inequality amongst the teams finances and level the playing field slightly.

That makes a lot more sense - thanks.

An interesting interview by the excellent Pitpass website (they know what they are talking about) with Ross Brawn:

http://www.pitpass.com/58194/Brawn-We-need-patience

And if you can access it (I think it's behind the subscription firewall)

http://www.autosport.com/premium/feature/7367/how-ecclestone-triggered-his-own-downfall

A quote from that Autosport article:

Ecclestone's utter refusal to create succession plans - was it a belief in immortality, or simply a deep seated desire to allow F1 to implode once he was no more, that led him to ignore this most basic of management responsibilities? - caused further bewilderment, such that team bosses began openly questioning Bernie's fitness for office. The tide was turning.

TV ratings and live audiences plummeted (30% in five years). He made dismissive comments, blaming all and sundry - including technical/sporting regulations he previously voted in favour of - bar his refusal to accept that the combined effects of unimaginative circuits in strange-sounding countries, the dysfunctional Strategy Group and inequitable revenue structures, all further compounded by cost cutting forced by CVC's greed, had backed F1 into crisis corner.

His solution? Some of the daftest comments yet made by a CEO. Social media? Why invest in something he did not understand? Attracting youthful audiences? Kids did not buy Rolexes. The list of gaffes grew a tail, and about the only wonder was that the by-now 86-year-old did not question whether YouTube was some new-fangled swimming ring.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

About time, too. When a car is the natural development of last year's model, then using the same name with a suffix makes sense. But the only connection with that original McLaren MP24 was the name!

But even more importantly, is it going to be orange?

Roy

Jaffa MCL 1?

McLaren have reportedly (Autosport) said that there will be some traditional Papaya in the new livery. It looks like the new team are going back to McLaren, rather than MP4 roots now that the authoritarian grip of The Ron has been loosened.

• Like 1

I wonder if that might include Jenson!

I doubt it - Honda love him.

I don't understand why they have kept the continuation of the series number (or that others do). It would make far more sense to call it the MCL17 for the year in which it is to be used. Then we don't have to keep looking up what series number was used in what year. In the very unlikely event that it is used two years running, then they may as well give up anyway. If two designs are used in one year, which the testing ban makes almost impossible, but if they could, then add an "A".

Or does that spoil it for nerds?

• Like 1

His job will be covered by Zak Brown, so no gaps, and if they need anyone else they will headhunt.

I don't think Button has the necessary skill set for the job...

Totally agree, that was a bit tounge in cheek.

• Like 2