A1 LNER Wartime Black

DonnyRailMan

• RMweb Gold

Would not the tender just be N E rather than LNER if in wartime black, also it might be the camera ( they certainly play tricks) but the spacing between the N and E looks a bit large.

Must admit I like stuff in black, especially as I don't have to line them  :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

Would not the tender just be N E rather than LNER if in wartime black, also it might be the camera ( they certainly play tricks) but the spacing between the N and E looks a bit large.

Must admit I like stuff in black, especially as I don't have to line them :mosking:

I'd wondered on it being just NE too. I note Hornby 's latest A4 is black with LNER on the tender. They've never got any details wrong have they? ;)

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/lner-4-6-2-sir-murrough-wilson-a4-class-wartime-black.html

David

Phoenix LNER 3136 is just a creation I wanted to see what a Peppercorn A1 would look like 

in War Time black livery (WW I I ). And also with her carrying the great font of L N E R on the tender as well 

call it poetic licence because it is my locomotive. I am not offended at all if some do not like the end

result.

Guest Midland Mole

Phoenix LNER 3136 is just a creation I wanted to see what a Peppercorn A1 would look like 

in War Time black livery (WW I I ). And also with her carrying the great font of L N E R on the tender as well 

call it poetic licence because it is my locomotive. I am not offended at all if some do not like the end

result.

I could not agree more. All that ever really matters is what you think of it. :)

Personally, I think it looks great...a very interesting idea.

- Alex

Thank you Alex,

Good Afternoon Donny,

I like it, it looks a quite purposeful livery on that A1.

To be honest, I like all sorts of fictitious liveries and locos really.

I have got a Hornby P2 and an old kit built streamlined P2 awaiting fictitious BR green application and some chassis awaiting conversion into proposed 4-8-2 express loco with A4 front end.

When I get around to it will be another matter.

On the A1 front, I have got a Bachmann apple green job where I want to swap British Railways lettering on the tender for LNER and maybe streamlined front end,Ike the original Peppercorn plans.

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Gold

result.

You mean you didn't know about the 'Top Secret' loco that Peppercorn built for the SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve)?

The one that was the basis for his A1 class?

And was called Phoenix?

Sadly the locomotive was vaporized by a Hydra super-weapon - sometime in March 1945 at still classified location in East Germany...

:jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

When fresh out of the paint shop they did.Trouble is it was quickly covered by coats of grime.....

And quite possibly bullet holes from enemy aircraft... 

Or in the case of a loco I've just finished (see the Best Ever Thread shortly) survived a near miss from a V1 Flying Bomb ;)

• RMweb Premium

Repainting was done on an "as-required" basis. Unlined Black was used as the cheapest method - in terms of cost but also, importantly, labour. Most colours required the importation of materials from abroad, which would tie up ships that would otherwise be bringing food, fuel and weapons to the UK.

Repainting was done on an "as-required" basis. Unlined Black was used as the cheapest method - in terms of cost but also, importantly, labour. Most colours required the importation of materials from abroad, which would tie up ships that would otherwise be bringing food, fuel and weapons to the UK.

The Wartime black WW II A4 Peregain  I had N R put on tender.

Archived