Hornby 2017 Range (announcement date)

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

The picture of the 2017 8F doesn't suggest that a new tooled Fowler tender is being offered. But the price for an 8F with the newer Stanier tender is the same as one with the old Fowler tender.

To a great many of Hornby's customers, an 8F is an 8F, regardless of tender.

Frankly, the cost of production will be virtually identical, anyway.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Well I must say I've been trying to plough through this thread and have come to the conclusion

This is what Hornby have said they are going to release this year

You either pre order or you don't but what you can't do is change what's going to happen

The only thing that makes me smart is the cost and please don't blame it on brexit because if it cost more to produce you can earn more on the export because people want to buy our stuff

I will also post a round up on my blog at http://www.grahammuz.com of those items of a Southern / Southern Region interest as soon as the full list has gone live on the Hornby website.

Graham, can you please comment on Hornby's use of the term "SR Green" (which you reiterate in your blog) regarding the rebuilt LSWR stock being offered in 2017, and the Maunsell coaches issued in 2016.

I note the distinction being used with "Olive" - which we usually associate with the Maunsell 'period' of SR stock for both locomotives and coaching stock.

i don't mean to be contentious, (and nor do I wish to restart any debate over the actual colour of former SR stock on the Southern Region of BR) but I find such vague terms confusing.

To my eyes this colour is not Malachite. People through around the term "Bulleid Green" as well. Can you help with any terminology that you personally prefer? I consider you more authoritative on this topic than most of us here.

What colours (in broad brush strokes) if you will pardon the pun, were used on SR stock during the grouping period? 

Indeed, i suspect a few of the colours are likely to be quite different.  particularly given that the Kings in GW look remarkably similar to the current shade (at least on this computer screen) despite the amount of talk coming out of Hornby about improving the shade.  I suspect (hope) they have just reused the same base image as prior years and adjusted the name and number.

Given the price rises I am quite glad to have purchased my Kings using the initial release and renaming / removing lining to get to 1947 rather than waiting, at £199 it will be interesting to see how many are left on the shelves vs the Hattons release...

On the whole I do agree that the range looks very sensible, a good mix of new toolings and some good choices for new liveries.  Unlike with the Castle, thats 3 years since the King was released and all 6 major liveries (Great crest Western, Shirt Button, G crest W, BR Blue, BR early and BR Late) all released.  The Castle and  Grange still havent made it that far (and as for Bachmann i dont think I have seen anything other than Great crest Western or BR on a Hall).  Its very disappointing to see yet another Grange in shirt button with the Churchward tender, come on Hornby you have two other possible tenders for this loco.  Lets at least have a GW grange with either of the Collett tenders for a change (even if you must make yet another shirt button livery)! 

I may be a bit blind, but has the shirtbutton Castle that was rolled over from 2016 been completely canned now?

Now to look forward to another batch of GWR colletts, hopefully followed finally by the Hawksworth livery in 2018!

I agree with everything you say here Rich, but Drysllwyn is still slated for a September 2017 release!

If I'm being picky, I thought we might have seen some non-corridor GWR stock or perhaps a retooled siphon, as the GWR is now the only one of the big 4 not to have a BG or CCT to modern standards (the post-1948 Hawksworth BG obviously not withstanding).

The 'Final Day' range of 4 big 4 locos is a nice nod to 70 years since the end of the big four, but Hornby's King is going head to head with the Hattons King in the self and same livery - would have liked to have rather seen a Castle with Collett tender in a G-Crest-W livery personally!

All in all, it's a nice balanced range this year - although does anyone think that it's slim pickings for tank engines? Not too much to tempt me bar the Colletts in Shirtbutton and the delayed-from-2016 Castle and Star. The SR King Arthur in wartime black catches my eye, although I'm expecting this year to be one of the most expensive in a long time with a stack of pre-orders from other manufacturers coming in to roost!

CoY

30907 is one I've renamed, so I'm pretty sure it got the Early Crest (Small) during it's repaint to BR Green :)

Got an SE finecast Schools which I numbered as 30907 Dulwich, but I painted it in lined black cos I think they look best like that. :-)

It's nice to see some older Hornby models being re-released like the excellent Grange and 4MT. (And definitely the "old friend" 14xx, especially for £44!)

And new top-notch stuff like the 48' exLSWR coaches - in green.

** Just spotted Ozexpatriot's post above about the green

- I was going for these new coaches because from what I've read in other threads

1. the green Hornby used on the later SR  Maunsell coaches was the same as on the BR green ones.

2. The 48' ex LSWR ones went before they would have been repainted in BR green therefore any in green at the end of the 50s would still have been in SR green, but varnish/weathering would have made it similar to BR green painted coaches anyway.

This is what I've gleaned from others  knowledge,  but I'm sure Graham can confirm!

• RMweb Gold

For Castle it stands at Great crest Western (2 tender options), 1948 G W R (given Wellington did not get the tender to 1948), BR Early and BR Late, So no Shirt button (unless the 2017 list is missing the previously announced Shirtbutton castle) and no true post war GWR release.

The shirtbutton liveried Castle is still there R3454.

• RMweb Gold

Got an SE finecast Schools which I numbered as 30907 Dulwich, but I painted it in lined black cos I think they look best like that. :-)

It's nice to see some older Hornby models being re-released like the excellent Grange and 4MT. (And definitely the "old friend" 14xx, especially for £44!)

The Grange with the Churchward tender, gives a number of renaming possibilities ;)

I'm a little confused over some prices (Hornby website figures) ;

Re-released  -  R3560  -  BR Black Q1 Class  0-6-0  =  £109.99

Re-released  -  R3531 - BR Black M7 Tank 0-4-4T   =  £144.99

New  R3539 - BR Black H-class 0-4-4T  =  £109.99  !!!!!

"Does not compute"   -  what makes the M7 so expensive ?

-------------------------

Also, the Schools class R  "" is now in the Railroad category.

Another thread about the M7 referenced how complicated the chassis was, if it is harder to build than other models then it would explain the higher price. 

Nice to see the Autocoach back, I'll have one of those thanks might still get a DJM 14xx though for the earlier livery. 

SR liverly Maunsell cattle wagons will also do me nicely so all in all not a bad day - I can make a sensible list of new items from all this.

People need to remember this was just the engines already existing in the range that were due to be announced. It is just reliveries of stock that we already knew Hornby make - so Im not surprised theres no J21, etc as much as Id love to see one. If however, you do think an M7 is terribly expensive the Hornby Q6 comes out very reasonably priced still and whats more - youd buy a decent freight machine for your layout... Not to mention being the envy of freinds modelling the region for a pregrouping age freight engine that will actually shift its load and get to the destination. Such a rare thing for that part of the world then... :mosking: 

​Theres a few nice little gems in the range. The Hornby Q6 will be finding itself on the purchase list when it matches one from 51F or 51L. Personally, the Standard 4MT are on the list, as I think Hornby do put the socket in the tender (could that be confirmed please) and that will be purchased for a re-number and fitting out with DCC sound.

The Colas class 60 is a possibility too and compared with other releases also seems well priced.

There are a few examples of where the costs seem to have jumped. Mk. 1 coaches seem to be rising in terms of cost fast, but the market is paying and Hornby need to claw back areas where they can make money to balance the budgets. So in the end its got to be good... and if you asked me. It looks good - good for Hornby, good for us and good for the sector in general if Hornby continue this trend of improvement.

** Just spotted Ozexpatriot's post above about the green

- I was going for these new coaches because from what I've read in other threads

1. the green Hornby used on the later SR  Maunsell coaches was the same as on the BR green ones.

2. The 48' ex LSWR ones went before they would have been repainted in BR green therefore any in green at the end of the 50s would still have been in SR green, but varnish/weathering would have made it similar to BR green painted coaches anyway.

This is what I've gleaned from others  knowledge,  but I'm sure Graham can confirm!

Some of the ex-LSWR coaches on the Lyme Regis branch certainly look to have been BR green. Indeed most colour shots of the trains in the Colour-Rail collection show trains of mixed BR crimson and green stock. The Southern started repainting coaches in green in the mid-1950s (their EMUs were green throughout so there wouldn't have been any problem about choice of paint/colour) and the pictures certainly suggest that they were Southern Region 'malachite' not the Southern Railway shade. Indeed by the early 1960s - when I was train-spotting on the Southern - there was very little left in crimson/cream. The Lyme Regis stock which came past my home on a rail tour in 1961 certainly had one coach in green. By describing it as SR green, it's not clear from Hornby's publicity 'SR green' whether they mean Southern Railway or Southern Region. (CJL)

The Grange with the Churchward tender, gives a number of renaming possibilities ;)

Absolutely. I've got etched plates for 6838, Goodmoor Grange,  which was in lined green with Churchward tender with late emblem in early 60s,  [My only Grange spot]. (It finished up with a larger tender but really run down).  So here's my chance!  I have had a weathered black Hornby Grange for some years, runs well, lots of detail, suppose I should have sourced a smaller tender and resprayed it - GW locos really ought to be green, after all.

So well done Hornby in bringing the Grange back.

• RMweb Gold

Zooming in on the 8F Fowler tender it looks like the old Airfix model used on the 4F & 2P. Solid wheels, slightly visible gears and Airfix coupler gives it away. But that's possibly good news, as the older chassis was retooled a little while back to have see through wheels, all wheel pickup, DCC socket and TTS sound. The body still looks good, so it won'r be out of place with the early 2000s 8F..

In that case it's only a cut-and-paste cobble-up from old images and, as you say, the old Airfix Fowler tender chassis has been retooled and the body holds up very well despite being around 40 years old.

Nobody should take fright from the picture - my loco drive 2P and 4F don't have any of the old gubbins so the 8F won't either.

Just as a matter of interest, how many 8Fs did get Fowler tenders, and when?

John

Some of the ex-LSWR coaches on the Lyme Regis branch certainly look to have been BR green. Indeed most colour shots of the trains in the Colour-Rail collection show trains of mixed BR crimson and green stock. The Southern started repainting coaches in green in the mid-1950s (their EMUs were green throughout so there wouldn't have been any problem about choice of paint/colour) and the pictures certainly suggest that they were Southern Region 'malachite' not the Southern Railway shade. Indeed by the early 1960s - when I was train-spotting on the Southern - there was very little left in crimson/cream. The Lyme Regis stock which came past my home on a rail tour in 1961 certainly had one coach in green. By describing it as SR green, it's not clear from Hornby's publicity 'SR green' whether they mean Southern Railway or Southern Region. (CJL)

Thanks Chris, that's some very useful historical information.   Guess I think that southern region coaching stock ought to be green..... as that's what i remember from 1960s.

Looks like they've given up on their main range Class 31, which is a shame, as there are still many liveries that they haven't done.

Yes it is a shame but the chassis design needed simplifying, especially deleting the opening cab doors which compromised the chassis casting in that area.

What the Railroad version is going to end up like as D5552 will be interesting!

Never mind perhaps another manufacturer may take up the mantle...............plenty more versions to do!

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely. I've got etched plates for 6838, Goodmoor Grange,  which was in lined green with Churchward tender with late emblem in early 60s,  [My only Grange spot]. (It finished up with a larger tender but really run down).  So here's my chance!  I have had a weathered black Hornby Grange for some years, runs well, lots of detail, suppose I should have sourced a smaller tender and resprayed it - GW locos really ought to be green, after all.

So well done Hornby in bringing the Grange back.

There are a number of possibilities - I was getting fed up doing Late Crest (Totem) Collett tendered Granges - the Hornby Gods were listening.

Thankful they still haven't done a Late Crest Maunsell Tendered S15 with AWS :D

post-7000-0-25072500-1483550018_thumb.jpg

By describing it as SR green, it's not clear from Hornby's publicity 'SR green' whether they mean Southern Railway or Southern Region.

Chris, this is the crux of my question. The colour described by Hornby as "SR green" is a nice match for their EMU models. To my eyes it is not the same colour green as the malachite liveried light Pacifics, or the ancient malachite liveried "Bulleid" coaches.

• RMweb Gold

AFAIK the last Crimson/cream coaches on the Southern were BR Mk1 3-sets, of which one or two lasted until about May 1962 before being repainted in green.

Published sources generally tally in stating that Maunsell and Bulleid corridor stock was all back in green by (roughly) the end of 1959.

The "Lyme Regis" stock, by 1961 would have been a green Maunsell corridor 2-set 'W' (supplemented by a crimson BR 64' suburban second when needed) rather than a rebuilt LSWR 2-set. The last of those was withdrawn in the summer of 1958 but some had gone two years earlier, still in re-varnished SR Malachite. Some of the Lavatory thirds lasted into the early 1960s and almost certainly did receive BR green.

The 2017 LSWR rebuilts in "SR green" are shown with sunshine lettering so should be malachite, offering the opportunity to rebrand them with BR identities in line with the prototypes. Hornby used the same green for SR Malachite and BR green on the Maunsell corridors, so I imagine these will be that colour too.

John

For the post-privatisation Scottish modeller there really isn't much in the range this year. The only EWS item appears to be one seacow wagon. I was hoping we'd see the EWS class 56 (R3472) and EWS class 60 (R3389TTS) that were cancelled from the 2016 range. The colas 60 is welcome though.

I am quite surprised they haven't announced a Virgin class 87, escpecially as they have the mk3s and DVT to go with it. There is still no sign of the R3581 (the product No. in-between the two announced class 87s). Perhaps this will be announced later in the year (in Virgin livery hopefully). Looks like they are sticking with intercity 87010, the exact same loco as the Limby 87 they released just a few years ago. Surely they could've picked a different number.

There is also no sign of the 2016 cancelled Virgin class 90. The Virgin livery is popular and it's been a while since they last released one in this livery. I would have thought they would bring out one to match their new DVT models. Mind you the 2016 R3474 Virgin 90 was going to be 90015. Out of all the Virgin 90s this was one Hornby had already produced in the past. Does nobody at Hornby look through their back catalogue? Perhaps the lack of a Virgin 90 is due to an as yet to be announced Virgin 87!

Also, Virgin related, is the lack of the Virgin Mk2e FO coach from the 2017 range to match the 2016 releases. Why they didn't release this last year along with the SO and BSO I really don't know. The only reason I can think of is that they are tooling up the RFB buffet coach as seen in the Virgin xc rakes. I really do hope so!

Talking of missing coaches, Hornby seem to have missed out the GWR 1st class TFO coaches from the 2017 range. Is there any reason for this? Surely it must put people off buying the full set.

It's good to see more locos added to the railroad range but why is the class 90 (RRP £89.99) so much more expensive than the class 55? In terms of parts/ motors etc they are very similar models. The Railroad 90 is considerbly more expensive than the recent main range DB class 90 (RRP £69.99). Is it coming with sound? or is it just badly priced.

I would have thought they would release more class 156 units, possibly with TTS sound, before the new realtrack models are released. There is still plenty of liveries to work through.

Also, there is still no sign of the Loco detection system that Hornby have been working on for a number of years now. This is the main reason I bought an e-link. Having a fully automatic layout would be amazing!

Hopefully we will see some more announcements throughout the year...

• RMweb Gold

Chris, this is the crux of my question. The colour described by Hornby as "SR green" is a nice match for their EMU models. To my eyes it is not the same colour green as the malachite liveried light Pacifics, or the ancient malachite liveried "Bulleid" coaches.

This is a resurrection of an issue which began several years ago when Hornby first released the Maunsell corridor coaches.The argument then was that the Hornby representation of Southern Railway green was inaccurate for the period modelled and not sufficiently different from the BR(S) livery.You are right to bring this matter to debate at this time because of the imminent arrival of the airsmoothed MN.

I'm unsure one way or the other on this one but you surely will get a response from forum members with the knowledge.Interesting.....ANOTHER Hornby green.......ducks low...incoming :jester:

Archived