Hornby 2017 Range (announcement date)

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

In short pretty interesting modern image selection at prices that look very reasonable given the current econonic climate . . . HOWEVER . . . £319.99 for what at first glance appears to be 1 powered and 1 unpowered GWR HST power cars is really concerning and for that sort of price I'd hope for some Mk3s came with it (Not really any detail on the specific page to indicate if this or isn't the case).

I certainly would have expected TTS in both cars like the considerably cheaper Virgin version.

• RMweb Gold

Actually it is not really clear what D400 Hornby are doing. There is a side window replaced with a grille which would suggest the refurbished version. It is only an image and not a picture of the model so it really could be either version as the image is just an impression.

I hope it's the 1967 version, but would lack the cab MU cables and of course non-refurbished state and EE lease plate. Will need to wait and see, a proper four hundreder.

Neil

A complete sell-out is less than ideal, because it represents foregone revenue on the items you would have sold had you made them. The optimal revenue path for a supplier actually includes intentional and pre-planned discounting towards the end of a production batch, because it taps into different consumer segments. But running out of stock too soon (provided you've made and sold enough to cover development and tooling costs, of course) is less of a problem than being left with too much unsold stock later on, so a smaller production run is the cautious choice. 

Given Hornby's well-publicised problems in the past with excess inventory, it's not at all surprising that they're currently far more willing to err on the side of caution. In part, this may be testing the market, to try and find the sweet spot. I don't think anyone can rationally criticise them for that, it seems a perfectly sensible approach to rebuilding the company's financial base following their previous difficulties.

The big advantage of a short production run, of course, is that you can always have another one. And the second run is cheaper to produce, and hence more profitable (assuming prices remain stable), because development costs have already been covered.

It is interesting that they seem to have given up on factory weathering, there doesn't appear to be any in the range, and surely the Q6 would have been a perfect loco for weathering. I think it is probably for the better as they never got it quite right, also those who want it weathered have multiple options of how to get it weathered. (Although the £220 TTS Flying Scotsman looks weathered, it isn't described as such and they did Flying Scotsman weathered a few years ago)

Given that weathering was far from Hornby's strong point, it is probably a good idea that they are not doing any. Their notion of weathering to date has been coat the bottom half of the loco in a brown colour. Far from prototypical, and people wanting something really weathered preferred to start from something clean than something which needs to be removed.

I'm surprised the 14xx wasn't out months ago ahead of the DJM/ Hattons one - they beat them to the King and seem to have done ok with it (I know some have been available heavily discounted- but they are planning to produce more!). At around £44 for the 14xx I would (and still might be tempted), but I wonder what shade of green it will be?

The shade of green issue put me off the Kings for ages - in the end I went for a blue one! (Nostalgic reasons - used to have a blue one). Hornby, please listen to what everyone is saying about the green - I haven't seen ONE favourable mention of it!!

Very pleased there will be more Collett coaches, as I suspected- time to start saving....

I'm surprised the 14xx wasn't out months ago ahead of the DJM/ Hattons one - they beat them to the King and seem to have done ok with it (I know some have been available heavily discounted- but they are planning to produce more!). At around £44 for the 14xx I would (and still might be tempted), but I wonder what shade of green it will be?

The shade of green issue put me off the Kings for ages - in the end I went for a blue one! (Nostalgic reasons - used to have a blue one). Hornby, please listen to what everyone is saying about the green - I haven't seen ONE favourable mention of it!!

Very pleased there will be more Collett coaches, as I suspected- time to start saving....

Well at least the green Hornby uses is better than that in the picture for R3566 (the rebuilt Merchant Navy).

Well I know at least 10 people who would have bought Dodo for one, and that is not including the planned purchase of another 4 for myself.

There are none left ( although I am sure shops I cannot contact may have some). To ensure a supply of the black finish I have already pre ordered them this morning on block.

Two "Dodos" at Hamley's just now, and an H&P one.

No Virgin Mk2e FO to go with last years TSO and BSO.

Surprised about the 'reintroduction' of the Blue Grey Mk2d's. (Are they going to 'borrow' the corridor connections from the Mk2e's?)

Noticed a 'Railroad' Class 90 spuriously numbered '90135'. (I believe it was only 90041 to 90050 inclusive that temporarily received the 90/1 designation).

Are both the above a spoiler for Bachmann I wonder?

Noting that they are persisting with the ex Lima Deltic, not sure why.

Otherwise (apart from the already announced Class 87) it might be an extra KFA and a few EWS Seacows.

EDIT Will the Green Railroad Class 31 have the correct beading?

Well at least the green Hornby uses is better than that in the picture for R3566 (the rebuilt Merchant Navy).

No it isn't - it's horrible! I looked at the Kings when they arrived and first impression was 'stunning' - then I looked at the Bachmann GWR models in the same display cabinet in my local model shop and my first thought was 'oh dear' or words to that effect!

• RMweb Premium

The big advantage of a short production run, of course, is that you can always have another one. And the second run is cheaper to produce, and hence more profitable (assuming prices remain stable), because development costs have already been covered.

Quite right. Only problem is if you have to secure capacity for that 2nd run from outside supplier and all capacity is already used up. Possibly Hornby would have liked to capitalised on the Pecketts success but have already secured 2017 capacity and can't find additional capacity for 2nd run.

I think releasing a black one is sensible, and as others have said I'd expect a Peckett or 2 to feature in most years ranges. I hadn't realised until I saw it on here that Dodo was in the standard Peckett scheme, so a variant of that's bound to appear again sometime.

• RMweb Gold

Nothing in it for me.

(Someone had to say it...........)

Cheers

Mick

Mick

I think you must have missed off part of your post/or the mods delete it! You've not mentioned:

1) prices

2) the appalling lack of pre grouping models

3) the one specific livery variation that's of us to you but probably you alone that you're convinced will sell

Millions and solve Hornby'a financial problems at a stroke!

David

• RMweb Gold

On a more serious point than my prior flippancy, I note a change in strategy to market the last day of the big 4 as individual locos as opposed to a commemorative pack. Of course; in practice these packs have usually been broken into constituent parts anyway by retailers but a notable nuance

David

• RMweb Gold

As ever it's catalogue computer based artwork seen on a 'puter monitor so the actual colour could well be different.  And it hasn't stopped me already getting in a pre-order for four (I don't want a flood of composites so only one of those pre-ordered).

<snip.>

Overall it strikes me as a sensible approach to 2017 considering the company's position and finances and maybe there will be some cancellations in a  few months time but that will only reflect lack of orders and concentration on things which are selling.

Indeed, i suspect a few of the colours are likely to be quite different.  particularly given that the Kings in GW look remarkably similar to the current shade (at least on this computer screen) despite the amount of talk coming out of Hornby about improving the shade.  I suspect (hope) they have just reused the same base image as prior years and adjusted the name and number.

Given the price rises I am quite glad to have purchased my Kings using the initial release and renaming / removing lining to get to 1947 rather than waiting, at £199 it will be interesting to see how many are left on the shelves vs the Hattons release...

On the whole I do agree that the range looks very sensible, a good mix of new toolings and some good choices for new liveries.  Unlike with the Castle, thats 3 years since the King was released and all 6 major liveries (Great crest Western, Shirt Button, G crest W, BR Blue, BR early and BR Late) all released.  The Castle and  Grange still havent made it that far (and as for Bachmann i dont think I have seen anything other than Great crest Western or BR on a Hall).  Its very disappointing to see yet another Grange in shirt button with the Churchward tender, come on Hornby you have two other possible tenders for this loco.  Lets at least have a GW grange with either of the Collett tenders for a change (even if you must make yet another shirt button livery)! 

I may be a bit blind, but has the shirtbutton Castle that was rolled over from 2016 been completely canned now?

Now to look forward to another batch of GWR colletts, hopefully followed finally by the Hawksworth livery in 2018!

I hope it's the 1967 version, but would lack the cab MU cables and of course non-refurbished state and EE lease plate. Will need to wait and see, a proper four hundreder.

Neil

D400 (and D401) were fitted with MU cables from new, so the fitment is ok for 1967. As said above, it looks like a miss match of body styles, unless it is only a mock up. The same can be said for the Railroad 31, I hope it's only a mock up or they are going to repeat the mistake of the Blue Railroad 31 release and have a 'mongrel' of pre and post refurb details. Although the cab front and bodyside steps areas can't be seen that is definitely the post refurb chassis without bufferbeam cowlings.

Thanks to Graham Muz and his blog on the southern related releases. https://grahammuz.com/2017/01/04/Hornby-announce-full-2017-range-a-southern-railway-southern-region-related-roundup/

a useful starting point!

I've spotted:

R4794 and R4795 the ex LSWR 48' coaches in SR green. Whoo hoo!

Grange with smaller tender

8Fs, one with Fowler tender (as there were 663 8Fs running in mid 1950s, that definitely plugs a gap)

Also rebuilt WC 34096 Trevone, cos I once travelled behind it. Nice present for me from Hornby  :-)

As an observation, looks like a well thought out set of releases, overall. 

Bests for 2017 to all.

Bill

So by this time tomorrow night, how many folk will have said?

1) "Nothing in it for me".

2) "I'm underwhelmed".

Feel free to add more.

1) Check

2) Check

When can I have it in pink?

Check

Why has it got the wrong shade of green?

Check, Check and Check.

I was looking at the 14xx and the specification says

"Maximum curve Hornby 1st radius + / 371mm+"

Surely they mean MINIMUM not MAXIMUM?

No, they mean maximum. it's one of those cases where the two words mean the same thing from opposite directions. Maximum curvature = minimum radius. Because a 1st radius curve is more curved than a 2nd radius curve. 

Thanks to Graham Muz and his blog on the southern related releases. https://grahammuz.com/2017/01/04/Hornby-announce-full-2017-range-a-southern-railway-southern-region-related-roundup/

a useful starting point!

I've spotted:

R4794 and R4795 the ex LSWR 48' coaches in SR green. Whoo hoo!

Grange with smaller tender

8Fs, one with Fowler tender (as there were 663 8Fs running in mid 1950s, that definitely plugs a gap)

Also rebuilt WC 34096 Trevone, cos I once travelled behind it. Nice present for me from Hornby  :-)

As an observation, looks like a well thought out set of releases, overall. 

Bests for 2017 to all.

Bill

The only downside to seeing the 8f released again is that it means it is unlikely to be a retool next year which I was sort of hoping for! Although at least there is still hope for a retooled large prairie next year!

Archived