Hornby 2017 Range (announcement date)

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

Well I know at least 10 people who would have bought Dodo for one, and that is not including the planned purchase of another 4 for myself.

There are none left ( although I am sure shops I cannot contact may have some). To ensure a supply of the black finish I have already pre ordered them this morning on block.

You know 10 people who say they would have bought Dodo, how many actually would have is another matter. History has shown that words and actions are often two different things.

What is the minimum production run for Hornby these days? A few hundreds. What if they run say 500 and sell only 250 - 250 more get discounted:

• retailers quite rightly do not like this;
  • those that paid full price complain;
  • Hornby have capital employed which limits their future work;
  • The hobby suffers as a consequence.

What I think you are also missing is that the 2017 production slots were probably agreed before their popularity was confirmed. What you are asking is for Hornby to have taken a massive gamble and

possibly have ended up with the first batch not selling and a second batch on the way.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

In fairness to you, Stephen, that's entirely correct and much appreciated by all who are able to take advantage of your advice.

And there's the pity of it.He is a fine modeller who seems hell bent on throwing the baby out with the bath water.Certainly,this morning's outpourings serve no great purpose.

In fairness to you, Stephen, that's entirely correct and much appreciated by all who are able to take advantage of your advice.

Thank you, it seems to have not been noticed that the criticism is aimed at the trade suppliers not modellers, who I would help out freely in all circumstances. I am long retired now and had hoped that supplies for a favourite hobby would be assured, but it is a rugby scrum of customers nowadays on a glut or famine basis to even buy a basic loco.

I will not be caught again, an order has already been done and to two suppliers to ensure the Black version is available, so I am certain to be called greedy, wailing or difficult, it seems to go with buying RTR model railways these days.

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

OK - after that less-than-momentous announcement - when do we find out what Bachmann have in line for us?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It will be Sunday morning.

• RMweb Gold

You beat me to it!

Now very tempting indeed.

As regards these Pecketts, they seem to have almost acquired the status of some kind of 'barter currency', such is the demand for them.

Perhaps we now need promissory note 'I promise on demand to pay the bearer one Hornby Peckett', or the 'Half Peckett' note - 'I promise on demand to pay the bearer one Hornby Peckett chassis or body'.

The maroon Colletts are a sorely needed addition to the catalogue as are a new batch of Maunsell corridors. I like the SR black Arthur.The idea of the 1948 sets is imaginative .Just hope they sell well

All in all a balanced ,slightly cautious set of releases which is no bad thing in the circumstances.  But I see we're already into "there's nothing in it for me " mode.Nothing new there either.Yes there are items I would have liked but I have no complaints and if this guides Hornby down the survival route then is it not a cause for celebration ? Please go easy on the spoiled behaviour chaps and enjoy what we have and what's to come....and no you can't pay your TV licence in Pecketts. :jester:

Guest Midland Mole

All the stuff I am interested in was already announced last year, the un-rebuilt Merchant Navy and the new tooled Duchess. It is probably going to be the same with Bachmann (for me anyway) as we already know about the Coal Tank and Stanier Mogul. :)

- Alex

• RMweb Gold

Please go easy on the spoiled behaviour chaps and enjoy what we have and what's to come....and no you can't pay your TV licence in Pecketts. :jester:

I'll happily pay for your TV license in exchange for a Peckett Ian.

Seriously though, I've been late to the party here. Today's release for preorder has vanished from the usual suppliers. I did quite fancy one of these as they were built just a couple of miles from where I live in Bristol. Never mind, I'm sure I can wait.

Neil

It is interesting that they seem to have given up on factory weathering, there doesn't appear to be any in the range, and surely the Q6 would have been a perfect loco for weathering. I think it is probably for the better as they never got it quite right, also those who want it weathered have multiple options of how to get it weathered. (Although the £220 TTS Flying Scotsman looks weathered, it isn't described as such and they did Flying Scotsman weathered a few years ago)

• RMweb Premium

I think they have to be congratulated. It's only 11 months since we had major doubts there would be a Hornby 2017 at all . As suspected the new models were announced at Warley and it's reliveries that we are looking at. There is a lot of interest in there and if the range is contracting, it's not really easy to see where. I find it really interesting who decides what to make and how to cost it, so there is lots of interest in there. Some observations.

Clearly Hornby still believe there is a market for the "Rich Uncle" trainset. With Mallard and A3 appearing in a digital trainset

They also clearly believe there is a price enhancement possible by calling something a "Limited Edition" ( a tad ironic, as as Bertiedog has just found out if it's at all popular it's automatically a limited edition!) £319 for the HST pair is eye watering and compares badly with £374 for the forthcoming GWR 5 car IET/class 800. A bit expensive I'd say but they obviously believe people will buy them.

Similarly I'm a bit puzzled at difference between "Final day" Royal Scot @ £199 and the main range one , which looks to be the same @ £134.99 , so £65 differential. Maybe it's a really limited edition!

It's nice to see Royal Scot, Q1 and possibly 4MT ( duplication never really works and I think the Bachmann ones still current?)make a comeback . Some pricing is actually pretty good . The Black Peckett is £89.99 which I think I'm correct is the same as the final price of the three that are just out. And maybe I'm becoming acclimatised to current pricing but £109 for the new 0-4-4T looks not bad.

Interesting use of three railroad models 14xx, Class 90 and Class 73 all low priced to compete with DJ/Hattons , Bachmann ( although Hornby may be 2 years ahead of the Bachmann model) and Dapol. A deliberate assault on competition maybe? To be honest , those of of us at the cheapskate , failing eyesight end of the hobby may well be satisfied with a Railroad 14xx at £45 compared to the all singing and dancing Hattons £99 one , especially if it doesn't have a coreless motor and runs as sweet as others in the range.

On coaching . Nice to see Colletts , LSWR all at reasonable price of £45 . Some clear water established here between Hornby and Bachmann (Thompsons £55) in pricing high spec coaches. Good on you Hornby. I'm glad we've got a full range of Blue/Grey Mk1s but these are pretty expensive at £39 for what is essentially a jumped up railroad model. This is emphasised by the fact that there are railroad versions at £21.99. I know they have metal wheels and slightly enhanced livery , but an extra £18....really? Also interesting that Mk3s are only £32.99 no doubt the forthcoming Oxford model has forced a moderation in pricing.

But overall it's fascinating stuff. Still haven't got my Caley 812 or bulk standard single chimney Castle, but I'm sure there's lots in the range to tempt me.......and a traditional Catalogue to boot. Well done Hornby!

• RMweb Gold

Maroon Colletts (though the artwork looks more like all over crimson).

Did anyone notice the GWR 14xx/48xx is now a Railroad loco?  (Hardly surprising but I don't recall this getting a mention before)

As ever it's catalogue computer based artwork seen on a 'puter monitor so the actual colour could well be different.  And it hasn't stopped me already getting in a pre-order for four (I don't want a flood of composites so only one of those pre-ordered).

I understand a trade list has gone out with a rather amusing comment next to the GWR 48XX.  But a good thing apart from having a cheap one for 'modification' for those who want one is that the basically sound ex-Airfix auto-trailer is back (and at a sensible price) so I suspect it will sell well, I wonder who might rerun a suitable detailing kit?

The Peckett announcement makes considerable sense to me and for once is what I see as a really good way to tackle a Year 2 model with sufficient variation of appearance to attract interest and a very plain livery that saves on production costs but 'keeps the pot boiling' by offering something more than suitable for a spot of modelling while still offering something different for the pure collecting types' really good marketing there Hornby.

Overall it strikes me as a sensible approach to 2017 considering the company's position and finances and maybe there will be some cancellations in a  few months time but that will only reflect lack of orders and concentration on things which are selling.

• RMweb Gold

I'll happily pay for your TV license in exchange for a Peckett Ian.

Seriously though, I've been late to the party here. Today's release for preorder has vanished from the usual suppliers. I did quite fancy one of these as they were built just a couple of miles from where I live in Bristol. Never mind, I'm sure I can wait.

Neil

Available at Kernow:  http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/56200/R3550-Hornby-Peckett-0-4-0ST-883-Lilleshall-Co

Roy

Personally, I think that a black Peckett is an excellent choice. It may not have the eye candy appeal of the first three liveries, but it's distinctively different from them. And plain black is a good choice of base livery for people who want to customise them for fictitious freelance industrial layouts, rather than modelling one that really existed. I suspect it will sell well.

In the long run, I have a feeling that the Peckett will become a staple of the annual product announcement. As an industrial, it has such a wide range of potential liveries that Hornby can run with them for quite some time without needing to repeat one. At every product development meeting where they discuss the new range for 20xx, I suspect that "New livery for the Peckett" will be first on the list :)

On an entirely unrelated note, am I the only one who thinks that 0-4-4T just looks, well, weird, somehow?

In short pretty interesting modern image selection at prices that look very reasonable given the current econonic climate . . . HOWEVER . . . £319.99 for what at first glance appears to be 1 powered and 1 unpowered GWR HST power cars is really concerning and for that sort of price I'd hope for some Mk3s came with it (Not really any detail on the specific page to indicate if this or isn't the case).

• RMweb Gold

They also clearly believe there is a price enhancement possible by calling something a "Limited Edition"

A point discussed on the inside back page of this month's Model Rail!

I think it was MR anyway - the one with "Tail Lamp"

• RMweb Gold

Actually it is not really clear what D400 Hornby are doing. There is a side window replaced with a grille which would suggest the refurbished version. It is only an image and not a picture of the model so it really could be either version as the image is just an impression.

• RMweb Gold

You know 10 people who say they would have bought Dodo, how many actually would have is another matter. History has shown that words and actions are often two different things.

What is the minimum production run for Hornby these days? A few hundreds. What if they run say 500 and sell only 250 - 250 more get discounted:

• retailers quite rightly do not like this;
  • those that paid full price complain;
  • Hornby have capital employed which limits their future work;
  • The hobby suffers as a consequence.
What I think you are also missing is that the 2017 production slots were probably agreed before their popularity was confirmed. What you are asking is for Hornby to have taken a massive gamble and

possibly have ended up with the first batch not selling and a second batch on the way.

Roy

I'm sure we'll see other stock outs on new items. If that happens, Hornby will have achieved their sales targets. They may "have left money on the table" but they've not risked losing further money for the reasons Roy points out. If stock outs drive higher

preorders, then good news all round unless you want to see a review before you buy..

Favid

Archived