Dabbling in French Railways

• RMweb Gold

After years of modelling US railroads, mainly BN, Santa Fe and now Southern Pacific; as well as now venturing with a N gauge Settle and Carlisle layout, I'm thinking of dabbling with a HO scale SNCF layout (I have French girlfriend).  I'm thinking of setting it in the Lille area in the mid to late 90's when I used to visit the area and remember seeing the BB12000's at work, as well as other classes.

As I'm not sure what's available in the DCC ready or sound equipped market, any help would be most welcome.

Julian Sprott

Trix did a sound fitted 12000.  Looks nice.  Vitrains have done the 16500 and you can either get hold of a Lima 3 car RIO push pull set or one of the EPM RRR 3 car sets.  The price comparison is quite big though!  Roco have done the 16000 class and the 22200 class is available from a few manufacturers!

This 16000 would have been seen in Lille over the years.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Roco-H0-72461-E-Lok-BB-16024-DIG-DCC-SOUND-SNCF-Mutze-Ep-5-NEU-OV-zu-73343-73345-/172429902837?hash=item28259f83f5:g:dHgAAOxy4t1SmhX9

Top of the range models are available from REE Models,

So far the list includes 231K, BB67000, CC7100 and next year, 141E

http://www.ree-modeles.com/catalogue/catalogue-h0/machines-h0

Available from A&H models. I think the BB67000 was seen in your area.

A bit lower down the quality scale but still very good,

Roco, Jouef, Trix

Still good but sometimes let down by details, Piko. I think it is their BB67000 where the diagonal vents are incorrectly shaped but they do a nice BB66000.

Other makes are Lima, Rivarossi(?), Electrotren, Mehano.

I know you said Lille are, 1990's, just pointing what is or has been recently available.

Visible in the Lille area of course, would also be the Eurostar and possibly, the Thalys?

HTH,

John.

PS If someone like REE were to do the iconic 240P, I could see myself returning to French steam - after a thirty years absence!

• RMweb Gold

Top of the range models are available from REE Models,

So far the list includes 231K, BB67000, CC7100 and next year, 141E

http://www.ree-modeles.com/catalogue/catalogue-h0/machines-h0

Available from A&H models. I think the BB67000 was seen in your area.

A bit lower down the quality scale but still very good,

Roco, Jouef, Trix

Still good but sometimes let down by details, Piko. I think it is their BB67000 where the diagonal vents are incorrectly shaped but they do a nice BB66000.

Other makes are Lima, Rivarossi(?), Electrotren, Mehano.

I know you said Lille are, 1990's, just pointing what is or has been recently available.

Visible in the Lille area of course, would also be the Eurostar and possibly, the Thalys?

HTH,

John.

PS If someone like REE were to do the iconic 240P, I could see myself returning to French steam - after a thirty years absence!

I think I will shy away from TGV's and Eurostars but I do fancy doing a mainline which would include BB12000's, BB22200's, BB26000 "sybic's" and a other local electrics, plus a few diesel and EMU's.  Suitable passenger stock and freight wagons for the era might be useful.

Julian Sprott

LS Models is another range to consider. Very much towards the top of the range with their detail.

At present, they are gradually getting back up to speed after their manufacturer went bust. Keep an eye on the Nurnberg Toy Fair announcements to see what they are looking to produce in 2017.

• RMweb Premium

LS Models is another range to consider. Very much towards the top of the range with their detail.

LS are indeed excellent. I'm hoping they re-run the SNCB 18 soon. At one time they seemed to have some collaborative understanding with ACME but that seems to have died.

Other traders worth looking at are Railway (www.railway.fr - Sylvie's shop is a warren of marvels) and Trainslag (www.trainslag.fr) - both serious and knowledgeable.

I have mentioned both before in these threads and again, I speak only as a satisfied customer!

Mike

Archived