Birmingham Hope St- BR (ex GCR) Minories Style Urban Layout 1965

danstercivicman

16th March 1965...

The Beeching Axe Fell.  

The station went silent.  The last train before the track lifting gang arrived was a solitary brake van hauled by a Stanier 2-6-4t...

The layout has been awesome, but we are moving.   Will it continue or will it be re-developed?

The layout has taught me several things:

1) Never move in with your in-law!!!

2) Pay attention to baseboards

3) I need to wire things better..

We are in our new house and I have a 5x3 metre garage...

Stay tuned! 

post-22023-0-62100000-1521218396_thumb.jpg

post-22023-0-38300300-1521218402_thumb.jpg

post-22023-0-08259200-1521218409_thumb.jpg

post-22023-0-41874800-1521218415_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

16th March 1965...

The Beeching Axe Fell.  

The station went silent.  The last train before the track lifting gang arrived was a solitary brake van hauled by a Stanier 2-6-4t...

The layout has been awesome, but we are moving.   Will it continue or will it be re-developed?

The layout has taught me several things:

1) Never move in with your in-law!!!

2) Pay attention to baseboards

3) I need to wire things better..

We are in our new house and I have a 5x3 metre garage...

Stay tuned! 

As a youngster I saw the Beeching axe falling and it was a bleak time for anyone who loved railways; this looks more of a beginning.

Thanks very much for your reports and photos of Birmingham Hope Street over the past fifteen or so months. Whatever glitches and lessons to be learnt that you've been conscious of,  I'm sure I'm not the only one to have found it a real inspiration. I look forward very much to hearing about what comes next.

Definitely staying  tuned.  

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 3

As a youngster I saw the Beeching axe falling and it was a bleak time for anyone who loved railways; this looks more of a beginning.

Thanks very much for your reports and photos of Birmingham Hope Street over the past fifteen or so months. Whatever glitches and lessons to be learnt that you've been conscious of,  I'm sure I'm not the only one to have found it a real inspiration. I look forward very much to hearing about what comes next.

Definitely staying  tuned.  

Thank you,

Once my wife is back from maternity progress will re-start :)

I am toying with two ideas- both CJ Freezer plans

1) Single track terminus in the lake district area with holiday specials as an excuse to run larger locos.    There is a full wiring diagram for this in his book on layout wiring.

2) Minories using Peco large radius points and re-cycling Hope St.  This time Hope St will sit on a raised platform viaduct above a future goods yard...  I have no idea how to wire that all up!

Points will have motors

Points will have point rodding (before ballast)

Track will be weathered before ballast

Station platforms will have adequate clearance (they warped on Hope St)

Boards will be level

Boards will be square

The backscene will be good...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

HI....

All the best in the new family home, will watch the development of your venture.....keep us informed.....will it be on a new thread...?

Regards always....

Bob

HI....

All the best in the new family home, will watch the development of your venture.....keep us informed.....will it be on a new thread...?

Regards always....

Bob

Thanks Bob, will prob start a new thread if I build a different plan :)

I'm really tempted by a single track branch (MR) but I can find much practice for them allowing large locos (7MT) and Rebuilt Scots to operate?

Likewise will keep following your adventures with ballasting :)

• RMweb Premium

If you start a new thread please put a link in this one so we know where to find it.

This tread has been very interesting and useful so I for one am interested in your future adventures.

• Like 1

Thanks Bob, will prob start a new thread if I build a different plan :)

I'm really tempted by a single track branch (MR) but I can find much practice for them allowing large locos (7MT) and Rebuilt Scots to operate?

Likewise will keep following your adventures with ballasting :)

Different railway but Kingswear on the GWR was on the end of a single track line and that handled Castles and even Kings.  A lot of other single track lines also handled large locos. I suppose a busy seaside resort that grew after the railway came would be a good candidate and the S.R. certainly ran Pacifics on its single track lines that reached into north Devon. A long way from the Midland but the West Highland Railway was also definitely single track and equally definitely not a branch line.

• Like 2

Single track main lines aren't/ weren't that common in the UK. The Highland main line comes to mind as an example, and I think you could call some of the Cambrian routes "main lines", or at least major secondary routes.

Most such lines (even Kingswear) have one thing in common: remarkable geography. For me, a single track main line in the Midlands would stretch credibly a bit too far (though it doesn't actually matter what I think).

Single track main lines aren't/ weren't that common in the UK. The Highland main line comes to mind as an example, and I think you could call some of the Cambrian routes "main lines", or at least major secondary routes.

Most such lines (even Kingswear) have one thing in common: remarkable geography. For me, a single track main line in the Midlands would stretch credibly a bit too far (though it doesn't actually matter what I think).

That's true and ISTR that there were or possibly are more route miles in Britain with four tracks than one. I think though that this is more about justifying a secondary/branch line handling larger locos than a single track main line though the distinction between the two may be difficult to define. 

Kingswear is interesting because, according to its passenger timetable maps, the GWR originally regarded it as a branch line (e.g in 1902) but later show it as a main line. Barnstaple (GWR), Falmouth and some of the Cambrian routes along with a number of other single track lines also appear as main lines in later timetables yet a town as important as Merthyr was only on branch lines. Conversely the double track line to Windsor and Eaton with its rather grand station and even the double track line to Uxbridge Vine Street were always shown as branch lines. What actual criteria the GWR and other railways used to determine what was main and what was branch are unclear, the handling of long distance express trains perhaps?

Though I don't know if the Midland offered comparable variety - some kind of inland resort or spa causing a once branchline to become upgraded perhaps? - this does seem to demonstrate that a single track secondary line handling large locos and important trains doesn't have to stretch credibility.

Edited by Pacific231G

Different railway but Kingswear on the GWR was on the end of a single track line and that handled Castles and even Kings. A lot of other single track lines also handled large locos. I suppose a busy seaside resort that grew after the railway came would be a good candidate and the S.R. certainly ran Pacifics on its single track lines that reached into north Devon. A long way from the Midland but the West Highland Railway was also definitely single track and equally definitely not a branch line.

If only I hadn't ebayed my western region stock....

The ex GWR Lines do appeal to me and living in the Black Country they certainly had a prescence round here...although they seem to have come out badly from the beeching cuts..

Agreed, even a lot of the minor routes round here appear to have been double tracked- or tank engines with small trains serving relatively light services.

I think the SVR Route was single track? That has coal flows and 8f's? But I think it was western region?

That's true and ISTR that there were or possibly are more route miles in Britain with four tracks than one. I think though that this is more about justifying a secondary/branch line handling larger locos than a single track main line though the distinction between the two may be difficult to define.

Kingswear is interesting because, according to its passenger timetable maps, the GWR originally regarded it as a branch line (e.g in 1902) but later show it as a main line. Barnstaple (GWR), Falmouth and some of the Cambrian routes along with a number of other single track lines also appear as main lines in later timetables yet a town as important as Merthyr was only on branch lines. Conversely the double track line to Windsor and Eaton with its rather grand station and even the double track line to Uxbridge Vine Street were always shown as branch lines. What actual criteria the GWR and other railways used to determine what was main and what was branch are unclear, the handling of long distance express trains perhaps?

Though I don't know if the Midland offered comparable variety - some kind of inland resort or spa causing a once branchline to become upgraded perhaps? - this does seem to demonstrate that a single track secondary line handling large locos and important trains doesn't have to stretch credibility.

Cambrian and Afonwen seem like good prototypes along with Swansea Victoria which I was previously looking at modelling.

The downside of the Cambrian appears to be it's RA which I think meant 4MT was the largest permissible loco?

It appears the West Midlands was heavily double tracked, four tracked and well served by smaller branch lines...

I'd struggle to think of any suitable single tracked holiday resort in the West Midlands unless furnaces and factories were your idea of sight seeing :) from most of the mon's round ere the Black Country was a place to escape from at holiday time

which makes me think of Malvern/clent which are more scenic. Might be western region mind.

Which leaves scotland... Scotland seems to have had some pretty major single tracked terminus stations. It is ideal in many ways, standard tanks, black fives, clans, K3/4? Class 26/27.. with lots of goods flows...

The downside is all my stock is midland numbered and I'd have to get rid of my green class 25's (don't think they were used in Scotland) and I'd have to renumber my coaches.

The pros are some amazing backscenes are available for the Scottish region and a cjf plan would be a great start point..

Which brings me back to a large fictional midland terminus using my minories station building...

I plan to feature DC cab control on any future layout...

The SMJ is probably the nearest you would get to Birmingham. It was used by heavy stuff and once eyed by the GC as a possible route from Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street.

Just looking at the SMJ... looks very interesting and somewhat of a failure, success then failure. If only they had kept these lines now...

Quite a nice area and it looks like the GC had slip coaches and expresses at times..

• RMweb Gold

Agreed, even a lot of the minor routes round here appear to have been double tracked- or tank engines with small trains serving relatively light services.

I think the SVR Route was single track? That has coal flows and 8f's? But I think it was western region?

Hi..

Yes, the SVR (Shrewsbury - Hartlebury (with a link to Kidderminster) was single with passing places..space available for upgrade to double (although never done, as was the proposed link from just south of Bridgnorth to the Wombourne Branch)......

here 2207 brings an Alverley Colliery coal load from Highley sidings probably destined for Stourport Power Station....the line was a diversion route for freight as well as passenger traffic...the Tenbury Branch (single track) entered just north of Bewdley.....

post-20610-0-68131300-1521383275_thumb.jpg

A BR publicity image of the day (great atmosphere)

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Hi..

Yes, the SVR (Shrewsbury - Hartlebury (with a link to Kidderminster) was single with passing places..space available for upgrade to double (although never done, as was the proposed link from just south of Bridgnorth to the Wombourne Branch)......

here 2207 brings an Alverley Colliery coal load from Highley sidings probably destined for Stourport Power Station....the line was a diversion route for freight as well as passenger traffic...the Tenbury Branch (single track) entered just north of Bewdley.....

_58198606_arley_station_976 (1).jpg

A BR publicity image of the day (great atmosphere)

Regards always...

Bob

It is one of my favourite lines, my four year old daughter loves it (much to mums annoyance) so we visit it a lot... and when she had to choose somewhere to go out with grandad and grandma she choose it :)

Did it go LMR at the end?

• Like 1

It is one of my favourite lines, my four year old daughter loves it (much to mums annoyance) so we visit it a lot... and when she had to choose somewhere to go out with grandad and grandma she choose it :)

Did it go LMR at the end?

I believe it did in 1962 or about that time, but don't quote me on that.

A while ago I did plan on building a layout loosely based on Kinlet Colliery sidings, between Arlen and Highley and a bit to the left, but after helping Phil Bullock with his layout Abbotswood Junction last summer the diesel bug bit me, and it still stings (so to speak)....

The Wombourne Branch ( Oxley Junction to Kingswinford) is about the best bet, mostly single track and used as a Wolverhampton and Dudley by-pass for Shrewsbury to Worcester traffic, it saw use by a large volume of large locos before closure. I'd always looked at the S&MJR for modelling ( with family connections with Kineton & Tysoe ), but in reality it was freight only after 1952. Both closed about the same time due to the rapid decline in traffic at that period.

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1

And it suddenly occurs to me that I have no idea how you’d tell where in a network the boundary falls between a lesser mainline and a “major secondary route”.

The M&GN ran from Yarmouth and Norwich along miles of single track (and some doubled bits) towards Peterborough and (over MR metal) to Leicester/ Birmingham. Midland engines and coaching stock were seen daily (Staniers and Gresleys alike).

Probably not what danstercivicman is looking for - but I loved his not-Minories layout, so wanted to add my thanks.

Paul

Edited by Fenman
  • Like 1

And it suddenly occurs to me that I have no idea how you’d tell where in a network the boundary falls between a lesser mainline and a “major secondary route”.

The M&GN ran from Yarmouth and Norwich along miles of single track (and some doubled bits) towards Peterborough and (over MR metal) to Leicester/ Birmingham. Midland engines and coaching stock were seen daily (Staniers and Gresleys alike).

Probably not what danstercivicman is looking for - but I loved his not-Minories layout, so wanted to add my thanks.

Paul

Definately and worked by Ivatt 4MT's :)

Here is my Scottish Region Plan using one of CJF's Plans.

Pros

1) Wiring diagram exists in his book

2) Its more scenic with ID back scenes hills and dales

3) It allows freight and passenger

4) It allows fish/meat traffic somehow?

Cons

1) Stock needs to be changed to Scottish Region Stock

2) It will need some class 26/27's

3) I will take licence in that Sulzer Type 2's worked into it

post-22023-0-93514700-1521394159_thumb.jpg

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 2

Paul

Thank you :)

I guess Borchester Market was a great example of a layout sort of in that area?

My dad got stuck on a singled section visiting Lowestoft and they had to wait for a train to come back to haul them out!

Edited by danstercivicman