Birmingham Hope St- BR (ex GCR) Minories Style Urban Layout 1965

danstercivicman

This layout really does give hours of operational (play) value! :)

Today the semi fast ran in hauled by a black five. It was then detached and the 4MT which is on pilot duties pulled the stock back out and into platform 1. The Black Five then ran out of platform 2 to be serviced (off scene).

The 4MT then fetched a brake van and hauled the vans out of the goods sidings/milk platform.

The normal class 15 failed... so an 8F was hastily arranged to take the goods back to Birmingham Holborn St goods yard :)

I've tried to capture the drivers view :)

Enjoy :)

post-22023-0-74657600-1497041958.jpg

post-22023-0-84229400-1497042016.jpg

post-22023-0-21770800-1497042044.jpg

post-22023-0-77248200-1497042066.jpg

• Like 14

Good PLAY value is the result of good Planing Dan, and a Terminus will always offer that, I tried with Whittaker St and BritVic, but without the success that you've had, it looks good to mate with that  Warehouse back drop.

• Like 1

Good PLAY value is the result of good Planing Dan, and a Terminus will always offer that, I tried with Whittaker St and BritVic, but without the success that you've had, it looks good to mate with that  Warehouse back drop.

Cheers,  I am still planning for the future but I still am attached to this one :)

My ideas for the future keep changing but I am tempted to make a super huge terminus!  Here's a pic (missing the start of the throat) and a PDF...

Its like a minories with a through station on the back - Manchester themed perhaps?  (Just brought a book on the Manchester Termini).  ((My heart goes out to all affected by the tragedy))...

Enjoying watching your layout progress as well :)

post-22023-0-63807200-1497043387_thumb.jpg

Big Terminus.pdf

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 3

Cheers,  I am still planning for the future but I still am attached to this one :)

My ideas for the future keep changing but I am tempted to make a super huge terminus!  Here's a pic (missing the start of the throat) and a PDF...

Its like a minories with a through station on the back - Manchester themed perhaps?  (Just brought a book on the Manchester Termini).  ((My heart goes out to all affected by the tragedy))...

Enjoying watching your layout progress as well :)

That looks nice and Busy Dan, I still prefer the Terminus idea for operation if your using Passenger Stock though, with mine it's 95% Goods Workings, so Stock Changes in the Loops / Sidings, to generate Traffic.

All the best with whatever you decide.

That looks nice and Busy Dan, I still prefer the Terminus idea for operation if your using Passenger Stock though, with mine it's 95% Goods Workings, so Stock Changes in the Loops / Sidings, to generate Traffic.

All the best with whatever you decide.

Cheers :).

I think once my wife sees the layout is going to expand to the left it will be curtailed and it will end up a terminus :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally an update :)

As many of you have seen this layout will eventually be replaced by Swansea Victoria! 

I managed to get a Bachmann Class 25 (which I love).  Its more suited to this layout and has been busily hauling Semi Fast's backwards and forwards :)  I haven't added the buffer beam details yet as it does shunt and move stock as well so I need the NEM couplings on both ends atm.

Enjoy!

post-22023-0-25156000-1497988725.jpg

post-22023-0-05205500-1497988726.jpg

• Like 9

Click . . . . Click. . . . Click; I can just imagine that Sulzer engine. Another class I was too young to experience while they were on the main line.

Now see I remember living in Leicester when I was very very little near to the railway lines and I although I cant remember much else at that age I can still remember losing my Lego mans helmet in between the floor boards but more importantly I can still recall the Sulzer diesels droning off into the night. It would have been around 1985/1986 so I'm not sure it was 25's or 40's/45's. I think it must be what got me hooked on trains :) I never saw them at night but the sound used to be quite soothing!

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I had great fun yesterday running the layout with my daughter.  She was using the controllers really well- we had no bumps and after the Semi Fast hauled by a Type 2 left for London she drove the Suburban set hauled by the Gresley V3 into Platform 1 and then shunted the ECS from behind the Ivatt 4MT into Platform 3.   The 57xx then arrived to help with shunting and then it was time for tea!   Of course I did all the points/cassette moves.   Pretty good work from a four year old!   

She then decided that all the cars needed to park on the bridge (including a bus) and that there was insufficient signage telling the trains where to stop- she amended this!

Swansea Victoria progress is paused due to health reasons- at least its good to have a layout to run :)

post-22023-0-34171700-1500281339_thumb.jpg

post-22023-0-54411700-1500281341_thumb.jpg

post-22023-0-55366700-1500281343_thumb.jpg

post-22023-0-51040400-1500281345_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I had great fun yesterday running the layout with my daughter.  She was using the controllers really well- we had no bumps and after the Semi Fast hauled by a Type 2 left for London she drove the Suburban set hauled by the Gresley V3 into Platform 1 and then shunted the ECS from behind the Ivatt 4MT into Platform 3.   The 57xx then arrived to help with shunting and then it was time for tea!   Of course I did all the points/cassette moves.   Pretty good work from a four year old!   

She then decided that all the cars needed to park on the bridge (including a bus) and that there was insufficient signage telling the trains where to stop- she amended this!

Swansea Victoria progress is paused due to health reasons- at least its good to have a layout to run :)

Sounds like a F  U  N  session Dan, I hope your sort the Health issues mate, but at least you have a superb Layout to use still.

Glad to see the layout is getting used by all the family.

In reading through this thread, I have a suggestion which may squeeze even more operating potential out the existing layout.

Depending on Hope Street's location in relation to Birmingham's wholesale markets, perhaps platform 1 could be used for the unloading of perishable traffic in the late evening/early hours?

The mixing of a few fitted freight trains and the late evening passenger train departures would make things interesting as well as being an excuse for bringing exotic beasts like B1's into Birmingham on a regular basis not to mention a busy late turn station pilot!

I am not an expert on railway operating matters so I don't know the regulations about using a passenger station for freight traffic on a regular basis but I am sure I have seen a picture somewhere of a van train in Moor Street passenger station during the day.

If in doubt the oft quoted rule 1 could apply!

Regards

Kevin

Glad to see the layout is getting used by all the family.

In reading through this thread, I have a suggestion which may squeeze even more operating potential out the existing layout.

Depending on Hope Street's location in relation to Birmingham's wholesale markets, perhaps platform 1 could be used for the unloading of perishable traffic in the late evening/early hours?

The mixing of a few fitted freight trains and the late evening passenger train departures would make things interesting as well as being an excuse for bringing exotic beasts like B1's into Birmingham on a regular basis not to mention a busy late turn station pilot!

I am not an expert on railway operating matters so I don't know the regulations about using a passenger station for freight traffic on a regular basis but I am sure I have seen a picture somewhere of a van train in Moor Street passenger station during the day.

If in doubt the oft quoted rule 1 could apply!

Regards

Kevin

Sounds like a plan :) I think it would fit the inner city location good idea :)

• RMweb Gold

I am not an expert on railway operating matters so I don't know the regulations about using a passenger station for freight traffic on a regular basis but I am sure I have seen a picture somewhere of a van train in Moor Street passenger station during the day.

If in doubt the oft quoted rule 1 could apply!

Regards

Kevin

Parcels and sundries traffic was dealt with on Platform 3 at Moor St at one time. There is a picture on the Warwickshire Railways site probably dating from just after WW2 by the buildings in the background and lack of BR-style signs.. The traffic seems to have a lot of flower boxes in it so probably a perishables train in the main.

Market traffic was generally dealt with in the Upper Yard and in Shed B down below between Park St and Allison St. Shed B also dealt with Banana traffic, three short sidings in there going into F. Nicholls Banana Warehouse.

The Upper Yard didn't have any engine release facilities so arriving trains often used Platform 3 or the adjacent loop and release the loco by using the Platform 3 traverser.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Track plan please!

More or less pure Minories. There may be a plan somewhere in the thread, but you can easily work it out for yourself using the photos in posts 2 and 16.

Paul.

I'm sure this kind of thing goes on for exhibition layouts, but I really like the purpose you have with your operating sessions. One of the reasons I was drawn to American model railroading was simply because there's always a purpose to what you're doing, defined ahead of time.

The challenge find in the executions. So, how are you doing this for Hope Street? Or, are the annotations ex post facto?

Question two is also one close to my heart - I too only have a loft available for a layout of the dimensions, and like you it would need to be much lower than I'm used to. In your photos it almost looks knee- high. Is that a problem?

All the best with your lovely layout!

• Like 1

I'm sure this kind of thing goes on for exhibition layouts, but I really like the purpose you have with your operating sessions. One of the reasons I was drawn to American model railroading was simply because there's always a purpose to what you're doing, defined ahead of time.

The challenge find in the executions. So, how are you doing this for Hope Street? Or, are the annotations ex post facto?

Question two is also one close to my heart - I too only have a loft available for a layout of the dimensions, and like you it would need to be much lower than I'm used to. In your photos it almost looks knee- high. Is that a problem?

All the best with your lovely layout!

Hello sorry for not replying for so long.   I had a traumatic brain injury in March (note to self- NEVER TAKE UP BOXING AS A WHITE COLLAR/CHARITY EVENT)...  all my focus has been getting fit to get back to work!  Which thankfully is progressing well!  Road cycling is helping!   The bad thing is I have had to lose my Driving Licence until Jan 2018 in case of a stroke etc so I'm pedal powered everywhere.  A nice 12 mile cycle each day to work and back...

I'll try and answer the questions:

1) I have a rough time table of movements.  The stock is pretty much sorted so there's early morning milk, parcels and workman's specials.  Then theres DMU's and suburban services, then a SEMI FAST.  It quietens down in the day and then the lunch hour DMU's kick in.  Rush hour builds and the reverse of the SEMI FAST services take place.  Some perishable fruit arrives and then its the cinema special bringing the courting couples into and back from Birmingham followed by some random 8F workings and then a last train!  

2) The layout is a tad too low.  I am quite flexible but really when I build the next one I'd make it higher 

I hope that helps and again sorry for the late reply!

• RMweb Gold

My advice about traumatic brain injuries is not to have them, but you've probably worked that out for yourself by now...

Just a suggestion, but Hope Street looks just the sort of place to host some overnight parcels/mails activity, with some big engines, so there's no rest for the wicked after the last train...

All got to be cleared before the milk and workman's!