Birmingham Hope St- BR (ex GCR) Minories Style Urban Layout 1965

danstercivicman

• RMweb Gold

LNER V1 and V3 seemed to have spent a lot of their time in Scotland and the North-east. I did see a V2 in Birmingham on one occasion, and it left heading South-west!

I would think a more likely tank loco for the GC would be an L1 2-6-4T. One did get across the SMJ from Woodford Halse to Stratford-upon-Avon with a road learning trip when the layout at Stratford Old Town was altered in the early 1960s. One of my old workmates photographed it at Evesham Road Crossing.

• Like 1

Your station is imaginary, so why could you not imagine V2s lasting a little longer, alongside a V3 tank they would look nice on your layout.

I like your thinking :)

LNER V1 and V3 seemed to have spent a lot of their time in Scotland and the North-east. I did see a V2 in Birmingham on one occasion, and it left heading South-west!

I would think a more likely tank loco for the GC would be an L1 2-6-4T. One did get across the SMJ from Woodford Halse to Stratford-upon-Avon with a road learning trip when the layout at Stratford Old Town was altered in the early 1960s. One of my old workmates photographed it at Evesham Road Crossing.

I do like the V2- it seems to have very purposeful lines!

Progressing through the time table-

The Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0 has brought the DOWN Semi Fast up from Marylebone.   This is due to the 5MT being failed at the MPD.

I do like this loco :)

post-22023-0-75010300-1481400751.jpg

The stock is old Hornby ex LMS P3 stock which was very cheap off ebay.  It has been re-painted dull Maroon and lined with Model Master transfers (very expensive but incredibly good).

I think it looks ok!!! :)

post-22023-0-15323700-1481400752.jpg

post-22023-0-54488900-1481400752.jpg

The Stanier 4P Tank is getting some water as it acting as Station Pilot.  It will shortly remove the Semi Fast Stock so the Ivatt can head UP to the local shed...

post-22023-0-95545200-1481400752.jpg

• Like 9

Last night I decided to make a start on point rodding....

Note to self- this should have been done before ballasting :(

Anyway the rods don't necessarily connect to anything but are designed to give the appearance of some reality!

I also had fun testing the whole time table and love the fact the isolated sections allow 2 x DMU's in P3 :)

post-22023-0-81984900-1481551880.jpg

post-22023-0-29469500-1481551881.jpg

post-22023-0-70323500-1481551881.jpg

• Like 10

These shots are from today's running.  Not a great deal happening as it represents the start of the time table.  The Ivatt has delivered the Milk train.  It has helped the 4P to run round the workman's train.  

The stock for the Workman's train is an ex LMS 57ft lav suburban and a P2 corridor :)  A right mix and match :)

The Ivatt backs the stock into P2 then the Ivatt joins the Parcel Service.

The two are then ready to depart...

post-22023-0-51361700-1481576295.jpg

post-22023-0-86940500-1481576295.jpg

post-22023-0-25462000-1481576296.jpg

post-22023-0-63869100-1481576296.jpg

• Like 11

I've also renumbered my suburban 57ft Bachmann crimson to an eastern region carriage so I now have a full set of eastern region stock and with hopefully a couple more airfix suburbans a midland set...

That will open the door to a Gresley V3.

I may turn my layout back to 1964 which would give the option for running more locos :)

The suburban sets will run:

Eastern Region

Composite, brake, second

The midland will be similar but may also be bolstered by the Period Two coach at peak, I'm not sure if it's prototypical but...

The Airfix stock runs great on Hornby R8096 wheels. Once the B2B's are checked they haven't missed a beat

• Like 1

What a great layout!

Being a native of the south Birmingham area, I have always intended to get round to building a "minories" type OO Gauge layout based on Moor Street as it was in the late 60's/early 70's but have never got round to it due to O Gauge taking what modelling time I have.

I even got as far as collecting most of the DMU's for this project. After seeing your layout I am tempted to have another go.

The backscene of factory units reminds me very much of the Digbeth area of the city as it was in the 60's/70's.

The atmosphere you have created is very good. Indeed if this station did exist it would solve quite a few of the congestion problems that public transport in the area suffers from.

I have one comment that won't cause you any extra work. About a mile south of the terminus, your line will meet the Birmingham - Gloucester (Camp Hill) line. An imaginary east or west facing connection on to this line would increase the operating potential even further.

Kevin   

• Like 2

Thank you very much for the kind words! It's def the idea I'm aiming for the chaos of digbeth!

That's a good shout about the camp hill line-it def opens up possibilities :)

Glad you like it, I'd say def give a minories layout a goo (as they say here) :)

It's a good track plan and as the layout can be spilt in two if we move house I'm planning to take it along!

• RMweb Premium

The stock for the Workman's train is an ex LMS 57ft lav suburban and a P2 corridor :)  A right mix and match :)

Actually a Period 1 corridor, but none the worse for that as the LM were great mixers of different carriage styles. Check out the trains on this video of former GC and (I think) Midland lines in Nottingham.

BTW has http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/index.htm been linked on this thread yet?

• Like 1

Thanks very much :)

I do like the P1 corridor- it's running Hornby R8096 wheels and has been weathered. Like you say the LMR seemed to mix Stanier stock, ex LMS stock and BR mk 1's!!!! I really like the Hornby wheels they hold their B2B well and run smoothly.

I have some big plans for the layout if we move house and hopefully the thread will follow :)

In the meantime I'll keep progressing but will prob halt progress at the road bridge for six weeks. Got to do some overtime to build up funds!

Edited by danstercivicman

Not much progress these couple of days, I've grabbed a couple of hours after work.

I have added some fencing to the end of Platform 1.

I have also decided that my loco's will need some water!   There are three water cranes (Dapol type).   The one on the loco spur is really only for Tanks or tender locos running smoke box towards the UP line.  The Platform water cranes can be used by all locos!

I hope you like the pics!

post-22023-0-20700700-1481734240.jpg

post-22023-0-76343600-1481734240.jpg

• Like 11

Just planning today before work.   I have gone through my stock and needs.

These are the formations that I have selected to meet the timetable needs.   The ones in blue are pre-orders running on Hattons. 

The ones in green are future purchase ideas so that I can run different locos/formations.

I do like the K3 and I think that a rusted and run down V3 would make a great Station Pilot :)

We are looking at moving house so I am not going to be doing the embankment area as I think the layout will soon become the two station modules and the fiddleyard with the corner section being stored for the future :(

TRAIN FORMATIONS BIRMINGHAM HOPE ST.docx

• Like 1