'Related Products' Ads

Has anyone else been getting an annoying 'Related Products' ad keep appearing over the right hand side of the browser when using RMWeb (I haven't noticed it on any other websites). If so, does anyone know how to get rid of it permanently? It makes the 'My notifications' and 'My content' parts of the website unusable, which are the bits I use the most!

(I'm running Torch on Windows 8.1).

Many thanks

Richard

• 2 months later...

Not quite the same but today, when looking through the Products and Trade area headings, I was presented with a John Lewis advert for white goods that I had recently been researching. I thought that, if you were signed in as a forum member, you did not get such intrusive advertising? 

If an ad has not been booked for a particular sub-forum you may see non-railway ads served by Adtech including ones which may be based on browsing behaviour.

Before jumping up and down in protest please remember that ads are what pay to keep the site free to use.

If an ad has not been booked for a particular sub-forum you may see non-railway ads served by Adtech including ones which may be based on browsing behaviour.

Before jumping up and down in protest please remember that ads are what pay to keep the site free to use.

Andy, your point about the ads paying for the site is accepted, but in the virtual world aren't there supposed to be mechanisms by which individuals can set their preferences regarding push marketing - including blocking it?

What is just as annoying is that I ended up buying the products being pushed at me, from the company mentioned, so further advertising is pointless!

Sadly the ad-serving software won't know you've bought the item (but it's nice to hear it works) as we don't track ad clicking to individual users.

Yes, ad-blocking software does get used but if that's done on a free to access site which is frequently used that's a bit like spending the day in Smiths and reading all the mags, buying nothing and asking if you can use the staff loo before you catch the bus.

But I massively hate the intrusive style of ad display used on local newspaper and clickbait sites.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...