Hornby AA15 Toad Brake Van

Tom F

• RMweb Gold

I've got 4 of them to date they do seem a bit delicate one was a pig in the poke the brake rigging was bent and twisted and rubbed the wheel sets it must have been rammed in the box when first packed

it's missing both door hand rails, a lamp bracket, has twisted hand rails and the aforementioned damage I corrected the faults now as I can't be @rsed to send it back just make sure you have a tube of superglue handy.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear about that, 81C, mine has been fine, lamp brackets apart.  In fact, I gave up on my attempt to prise the roof off to get at the interior to detail it because it is so firmly glued on.  Really very happy with it, and now I've replaced the lamp brackets with staples to attach Modelu lamps, I have can lamp it up properly!

• Like 2

I've got 4 of them to date they do seem a bit delicate one was a pig in the poke the brake rigging was bent and twisted and rubbed the wheel sets it must have been rammed in the box when first packed

it's missing both door hand rails, a lamp bracket, has twisted hand rails and the aforementioned damage I corrected the faults now as I can't be @rsed to send it back just make sure you have a tube of superglue handy.

I think you have been unlucky to have one so badly affected. Does sound like rough packing.

• RMweb Gold

Now I come to think of it, my brake rigging was out of kilter as well when I first unboxed my toad, but it was a very simple matter to put it back in the right place, where it has stayed ever since.  It wasn't rubbing on the wheels, though.  I'd agree with Clive about the packing, but to have more than one with problems sounds as if you've offended the gods of railway.  You must appease them by buying a loco you don't really need but would rather like to have...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Something of interest in regards to the GWR Toad 17410 currently being overhauled at Bewdley. The wagon has got three RCH buffers and a GWR one. Been told it also has a LMS axlebox...

It was like that in 1971 http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrbrakevan/e1c6792cb and although similar the two visible axleboxes are different.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

(There were differences within the AA15, which was a long-lived diagram, and Hornby's feature set is applicable only for one AA15 lot.)

That makes it a pig to rebrand and I've so far only found Stoke Gifford [56701],Banbury [56698], Severn Tunnel [Junc.] 56683,Penzance [56715]  as possible changes.

Edited by gwrrob

That makes it a pig to rebrand and I've so far only found Stoke Gifford [56701],Banbury [56698], Severn Tunnel [Junc.] 56683,Penzance [56715]  as possible changes.

None of those are represented by the particular Hornby AA15 lot. See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125030-gwr-goods-brake-vans-page-on-gwrorg/?p=2808606

The only AA15s of lot 932 that have known allocations are:

68608 Taunton
68624 Acton
68655 Southall
68656 Southall 
68690 Dowlais Cae Harris
17955 Llanelly Dock is a possible (of lot 888)

17753 Llanelly Dock is not listed in the official list of AA15s. As previously noted, it is unlikely the list of brake vans in the official list is complete, or the list of allocations is incorrect.

• RMweb Gold

Yes.  I will at some time when I acquire a round tuit be ordering some 'Tondu' ones, and will be quite happy to let anyone who wants the other 'T's have them for an SAE; keep an eye on my Cwmdimbath thread in 'Layout Topics', 'South Wales Valleys in the 1950s'.  One of my older toads, a fitted Mainline over 30 years old, is branded 'Return to Port Talbot WR. and is used as the 'spare'; I will probably keep this one and have fitted new lamp irons to it.

Lettering and numbering, something I always found faffy, is now beyond my powers of steadiness of hand and concentration, and it is as well that Cambridge and their like are there to help me!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Purchased the latest BR issue from Derails. It is marked "Honeybourne RU" with further panels showing the van to work between Honeybourne and Cheltenham St. James and return.

Superb model but the panels will have to go.

Hornby appear to like to get away from run of the mill markings. One of their GWR shunters truck is marked South Lambeth and would therefore be restricted to the goods depot close to Battersea Park.

Malcolm

• RMweb Gold

Purchased the latest BR issue from Derails. It is marked "Honeybourne RU" with further panels showing the van to work between Honeybourne and Cheltenham St. James and return.

Superb model but the panels will have to go.

Hornby appear to like to get away from run of the mill markings. One of their GWR shunters truck is marked South Lambeth and would therefore be restricted to the goods depot close to Battersea Park.

Malcolm

Despite exhortations to the contrary some RU brake vans did wander far from home so not too much of a problem.  

As far as Shunters Trucks are concerned it doesn't really matter what Hornby (or Bachmann) put on them as they're effectively only good for the place of that name or possibly languishing somewhere else after withdrawal because they stayed local and didn't run around in trains apart from very short distance trips.  In any case for some unaccountable reason, unless things have changed, the Hornby BR version is in the wrong colour anyway so to make it correct it would have to be repainted and relettered.  Fortunately a chance chat I had at a show with someone on the Bachmann stand resulted in their BR period versions appearing in the correct colour.

• RMweb Gold

I've rebranded 5 now Taunton 68766/68608, Acton 68624 and a couple of iffy one's Par 68571, Truro 68579 all off a HMRS prssfix sheet

I think those CCT transfers would have been better if they were branded to a single division rather then A-Z and I tried Old Time transfers 

but could not get on with them there was far too much film on the sheet I had.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think those CCT transfers would have been better if they were branded to a single division rather then A-Z ...

The list of allocations, provided by the person who requested that I produce the shunters' truck transfers, was a simple alphabetic list of allocations with appropriate numbers.

Not having personal knowledge of which allocations were within each division, I produced the sheets in alphabetic format.

The sheets that I provide include every wagon in the list, and took up a huge amount of design time.

I accept that a divisional format might have been financially beneficial to you, but it would have required a great deal more research on my part, in order to reduce my own financial return.

Sorry, but that's life - you can't satisfy some people, can you?

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The list of allocations, provided by the person who requested that I produce the shunters' truck transfers, was a simple alphabetic list of allocations with appropriate numbers.

Not having personal knowledge of which allocations were within each division, I produced the sheets in alphabetic format.

The sheets that I provide include every wagon in the list, and took up a huge amount of design time.

I accept that a divisional format might have been financially beneficial to you, but it would have required a great deal more research on my part, in order to reduce my own financial return.

Sorry, but that's life - you can't satisfy some people, can you?

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

There's no need to take that attitude with me I've done without your products in the past and I would certainly not be using them in the future now. :nono:

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Premium

There's no need to take that attitude with me I've done without your products in the past and I would certainly not be using them in the future now. :nono:

In the words of a famous comedienne - "Look at my face - do I care"? :onthequiet:

I occasionally produce transfer sheets at the request of modellers, for which I have no personal use.

When I do so, I try to be exhaustive so as to cover the requirements of as many modellers as possible.

Nonetheless, since these brakevan sheets were introduced I have sold forty-five copies in all scales.

Frankly, the financial return on those would suggest that I would have been better off doing my own modelling, rather than spending days compiling transfer sheet designs.

Fortunately, the majority of modellers seem to appreciate what I produce; unlike yourself.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In the words of a famous comedienne - "Look at my face - do I care"? :onthequiet:

I occasionally produce transfer sheets at the request of modellers, for which I have no personal use.

When I do so, I try to be exhaustive so as to cover the requirements of as many modellers as possible.

Nonetheless, since these brakevan sheets were introduced I have sold forty-five copies in all scales.

Frankly, the financial return on those would suggest that I would have been better off doing my own modelling, than spending days compiling transfer sheet designs.

Fortunately, the majority of modellers seem to appreciate what I produce; unlike yourself.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

You don't give up do you your no better than a troll as we have all seen with your nasty and childish postings in the past.

• RMweb Gold

You don't give up do you your no better than a troll as we have all seen with your nasty and childish postings in the past.

As an outsider to this dummy spit, can I just say there might be a little bit of pot calling kettle black here?

Does anybody know if there is any listings of allocations for the early 1920s?

Otherwise, Didcot will be getting a few random vans.

Regards,

Craig W

• RMweb Gold

There are literally hundred or more of allocations, covering hundreds of vans. Some are literally singular, to cover a particular diagram, to places like Maesglas (Newport, South Wales) to Pontypool Road (just up the road from Newport). Between these depots alone, we are starting to cover several hundred vans. That's without particular diagrams.

A little research will yield much information. A fifteen mile radius of Cardiff brings in some 40-odd different allocations, covering some 1,500 vans. That's just Cardiff divisions, by the way.

Ian.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A bit of a liberty taken [see Miss P's post 311 above] as I've rebranded mine to Stoke Gifford using Railtec transfers. Highly recommended indeed.

post-126-0-09576600-1523122482_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 9