Hornby AA15 Toad Brake Van

Tom F

• RMweb Gold

Nice.  I'm looking forward to getting a couple of these, and might be up for one in a postwar GW livery as well as BR.  The separate handrails are the big draw, of course, but the veranda detail is much better than on my Baccy one, which is the same as a Mainline one that is still in service.  Well done Hornby!

• RMweb Gold

Your link now 404s, but the images for the GWR version are now on the product page.

Have these arrived at retailers?

Hatton's are advising this coming Monday. ;)

http://www.hattons.co.uk/StockDetail.aspx?SID=244026&utm_source=ItemDeliveryDateUpdated&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=R6823

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

To be fair to Hornby these are way ahead of schedule and eventually they'll be plenty to go round I'm sure.

Indeed, weren't they were slated for November? I'm sure there will be more runs of these hot sellers.

• RMweb Gold

I'm confident that there'll be plenty in the shops by the time the BR version comes out, and I don't mind waiting for now; I do have 2 toads even if they're not very good ones, and the bauxite liveried one that I use on my pickup might have to run for a good time yet before a suitable replacement turns up.  I am looking into extending my fiddle yard to include a mineral empties as well as the loaded, and while one engine and van might do for both mts and lds, it's a brilliant excuse for 2!  That means an extra van, and as we are talking Valleys in the 50s, that means a GW toad, and I am interested in the Oxford version as well; they don't have to all be the same!  One of the old vans might find itself converted into a mess/tool van to go with an occasional per way train involving an Airfix/Dapol/Kitmaster 15 ton Booth Rodley PAD crane.  All these ideas, just because Hornby are releasing a toad with handrails...

One of the old vans might find itself converted into a mess/tool van to go with an occasional per way train involving an Airfix/Dapol/Kitmaster 15 ton Booth Rodley PAD crane.  All these ideas, just because Hornby are releasing a toad with handrails...

You could always fill in the verandah and create an AA6, permanent way van.

• RMweb Gold

You could always fill in the verandah and create an AA6, permanent way van.

Nice idea. I'd also considered using a Baccy van for just that reason. At least I can hopefully remove the handrails without too much damage. I think Llantrisant had a couple of AA6-type vans, usually alongside the sand furnace.

Ian.

Possibly the exposure of the Hornby pics doesn't do the product much justice, but I do hope the grey isn't quite as dark as that. A more faded shade would have been more realistic in my view.

I'll be repainting mine anyway. Revell 76 or Railmatch late BR Grey. Below are examples of both (Revell top, Railmatch bottom).

post-24300-0-18385400-1499512458_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-69007200-1499512475_thumb.jpg

I've tended to use the Revell more, and it's nice how the shade varies depending on the factory finish below. I think I'll be using Railmatch late on my Toad.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, weren't they were slated for November? I'm sure there will be more runs of these hot sellers.

There's plenty in stock and to go around.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Possibly the exposure of the Hornby pics doesn't do the product much justice, but I do hope the grey isn't quite as dark as that. A more faded shade would have been more realistic in my view.

Do Hattons pic look any better?

http://www.hattons.co.uk/244026/Hornby_R6823_GWR_AA15_Toad_20_ton_brake_van_56866_in_GWR_grey/StockDetail.aspx

• RMweb Premium

..... an Airfix/Dapol/Kitmaster 15 ton Booth Rodley PAD crane.

Kitmaster had nothing to do with the Booth Rodley crane kit; it was / is an Airfix original. Unfortunately, it is NOT a BR 15T PAD crane, (or a 10T one for that matter).

The Airfix kit depicts an industrial Booth Rodley crane on a bogie carriage; the BR versions were on a rigid carriage with a longer jib and modified cab. 10T and 15T versions were supplied to BR(WR), which differed mainly in the ballast weights applied, (or not), to the bufferbeams; some 10T cranes later became 15T cranes.

If anyone is prepared to do the modelling necessary to produce an accurate BR Booth Rodley crane, I can supply the transfers - see Sheet BL92 at https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm.

Mine is STILL not finished, but it will have functional pull-out stabilising beams and screw-down jacks!! Years ago, I built the equalised eight-wheel carriage in brass and steel, as a baptism-by-fire introduction to my then-new Emco Unimat lathe / vertical mill.

The parallel project was motorising a Kitmaster / Dapol Deltic with an double motor / cardan-shaft / gearbox, all-wheel drive using MRRC gears - boy, does that do the Deltic roar! (Shame about the frictional power losses).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Dapol are now knocking these out under the Kitmaster label; my local Antics has stock.  You are correct in saying that the model is of an industrial crane on a bogie undercarriage; the BR versions had an 8 wheel self-propelled chassis which can be supplied by an LNER pacific tender in model form; the frame fits over it as if it was designed to.  Toolboxes and the jib cradle on a bogie bolster, and toad converted to a mess/tool van, and there you go; not perfect but acceptable and easy, enjoyable, modelling of, in my case, Radyr PAD's 15 ton Booth Rodley.  Not up to your handmade brass chassis standards, and no stabilising beams or jacks, but ok to haul around as a per way train or in a freight!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It doesn't take long before a thread goes off topic these days whats a crane got to do with a brake van? :offtopic:  :offtopic:  :offtopic:

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Gold

I'd guess that there will be a lot of owners looking to offload their old Airfix/Mainline/Bachmann toad vans. A Pway crane is an ideal way to have a mess van (ex toad)in the consist. Must admit, I'd like to try this myself. Now, I just need to offload about a dozen Ratio brakevan kits....

Ian