Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

Fantastic looking models -  although I don't quite see the logic in Hornby producing two models of trains that you'd imagine people would want to operate alongside each other -  the GWR HST and the GWR 800 in contrasting finishes -  the HST models are glossy and the 800's are matt?   

I thought the gloss GWR HST models looked great and being shiny (like the real things) really lifts them away from looking like mass produced plastic - its a shame, and a bit confusing as to why the 800 in the same livery wasn't done to follow suit . All the depth of that lovely shade of green is lost in a matt finish. 

Jon 

Fantastic looking models -  although I don't quite see the logic in Hornby producing two models of trains that you'd imagine people would want to operate alongside each other -  the GWR HST and the GWR 800 in contrasting finishes -  the HST models are glossy and the 800's are matt?   

I thought the gloss GWR HST models looked great and being shiny (like the real things) really lifts them away from looking like mass produced plastic - its a shame, and a bit confusing as to why the 800 in the same livery wasn't done to follow suit . All the depth of that lovely shade of green is lost in a matt finish. 

Jon 

Because the real HST is painted gloss and the real IEP is vinyled and isn't a high-gloss finish, the IEP should have however been modeled with a semi-gloss finish.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 3

Jon 

As gloss is horrid on a 1:76 scale model! Okay some like it, and that is their choice. Hence why the GWR HST was a limited edition, thus gloss was okay. In a standard release gloss is unacceptable. If you want gloss, gloss it. (Also, I note a number of retailers still have a lot of stock of the GWR HST, perhaps I am not alone in not liking gloss....)

As gloss is horrid on a 1:76 scale model! Okay some like it, and that is their choice. Hence why the GWR HST was a limited edition, thus gloss was okay. In a standard release gloss is unacceptable. If you want gloss, gloss it. (Also, I note a number of retailers still have a lot of stock of the GWR HST, perhaps I am not alone in not liking gloss....)

You should have started that with "In my opinion" because that is all it is, your opinion!

Because the real HST is painted gloss and the real IEP is vinyled and isn't a high-gloss finish, the IEP should have however been modeled with a semi-gloss finish.

Agreed.  Was stood at Temple Meads waiting for a delayed XC service last night and the contrast between the HST and IEP was actually quite apparent in the dull light with regards to the gloss and matt finishes.

I think it's great that there are so many up to date liveries being produced as a modern image modeller and the difference won't stop me from populating with releases. On that note, I couldn't help but think that the FGW purple Hornby use is actually miles off the set I saw at TM yesterday as well - another story!

Cheers

It might be something to do with the high price instead between £230 and £300 is a large dent for most modellers...

• RMweb Gold

On that note, I couldn't help but think that the FGW purple Hornby use is actually miles off the set I saw at TM yesterday as well - another story!

The original release of FGW neon HST stock back in 2010 had FGW purple that was a bit on the light side, it's got lighter and lighter since!

• Like 1

The original release of FGW neon HST stock back in 2010 had FGW purple that was a bit on the light side, it's got lighter and lighter since!

Absolutely agree.  The set I saw was much darker and quite metallic compared to the releases that I have.  Dare I say, almost gloss like!  Appreciate that replicating in model form can be touch, but there is a definite lighter and matt tone to the Hornby releases.  Makes the Gloss GWR models they have just produced much more prototypical of the actual sets running around (getting prepared to be shot down!).

It's probably down to the cost 90% of the time and not the gloss finish. People say it looks toy-like but IMHO it doesn't.

Fully agreed. I think the set looks excellent. But that is my view and certainly adds something to the layout... I do think the Power Cars are still around due to cost. Saw a set in Exeter City Centre model shop at just shy of £300. Ever likely they don't sell.

Edited by GEOEng03

INCOMING!!!!

Invoice received for the GWR 800s - so will be with us very very soon (Maybe even today!)

After actually inquiring in China regarding costs of production, I won't ever say that these are over-priced. Henceforth I must say that I simply cannot afford it with my modelling budget. I wish I could have had one, but for the time-being I'd survive without it. It's a beautiful model nonetheless. Well done Hornby for such a superb model.

Looking forward to this arriving, however not looking forward to the possible need to alter the layout due to the overhang.

Just had a wee look your layout on Flickr - really nice, looking forward to seeing the IEP on it

Hi,

After a careful thought out process, I'll be ordering one of the GWR ones I think.

Although they are very expensive, I worked it out to be £68 per coach which isn't too bad, and seen as they have become so personal to me (designing some of their systems, cabbing them twice and visiting North Pole), I'll regret it if I don't!

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

Excellent close up of loco and carriages from Hattons - looks fabulous, well done Hornby!  Very glad I talked the wife into allowing me to acquire one. Must actually get the layout restarted to run once it lands!

http://www.hattons.co.uk/NewsDetail.aspx?id=253

Does look nice but I can't help but feel that the matt green cheapens it slightly though. If it looked more like this I would be more impressed. Just my opinion.post-28739-0-19719700-1519063394_thumb.png

Hi,

After a careful thought out process, I'll be ordering one of the GWR ones I think.

Although they are very expensive, I worked it out to be £68 per coach which isn't too bad, and seen as they have become so personal to me (designing some of their systems, cabbing them twice and visiting North Pole), I'll regret it if I don't!

Simon

Hopefully not the wiper mechanism?

Yes I do have a real problem with it!