Seep PM1 problem

clarkeeboy56

I need eight Seep point motors on my layout, so far I've managed to fit 3 PM1's okay, and a further one PM4 as I managed to lose one of the springs on one point..........anyway my problem....... On the 5th installation, the motor works fine, there's plenty of clearance for the actuating rod.....however, the motor won't throw the tie-bar. It seems that the rod is quite loose, so whereas the motor fires across okay the rod pivots in the tie-bar hole. I've searched on here and read up as much as I could on Seep motors, but couldn't find any posts similar to my problem. Any thoughts? Is this set of points still useable, can I strengthen the rod in any way? Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Do you mean that the rod is loose enough in the armature to flex or that the hole in the tie bar is oversize and not responding to the motor's operation?

Can you try another motor and see what happens?

Can you watch the point motor's armature whilst you physically move it from side to side by hand and confirm that it is indeed travelling to its extremes in both directions?

Do you mean that the rod is loose enough in the armature to flex or that the hole in the tie bar is oversize and not responding to the motor's operation?

Can you try another motor and see what happens?

Can you watch the point motor's armature whilst you physically move it from side to side by hand and confirm that it is indeed travelling to its extremes in both directions?

Hi Ray, thanks for your reply. I'll need to have another look later this evening, but it appears that the rod is loose in the armature, so it pivots in the tie bar hole. There is enough clearance for the rod, and the armature works fine when its not attached to the tie bar...

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ray, thanks for your reply. I'll need to have another look later this evening, but it appears that the rod is loose in the armature, so it pivots in the tie bar hole. There is enough clearance for the rod, and the armature works fine when its not attached to the tie bar...

I won't swear to it (nor at it!) but I would have thought that if the rod is loose enough in the armature to pivot then the rod would fall out. Have you considered trying to fill any elongated hole in the armature with something that will stop the rod rocking? I'd guess that well hardened epoxy might be the stuff unless you have some really hard filler.

I won't swear to it (nor at it!) but I would have thought that if the rod is loose enough in the armature to pivot then the rod would fall out. Have you considered trying to fill any elongated hole in the armature with something that will stop the rod rocking? I'd guess that well hardened epoxy might be the stuff unless you have some really hard filler.

Thanks again Ray, I was thinking of maybe adding a dot of solder to ensue the rod is in the correct position, but before I do that, I'll wire up another motor this evening to see how that works.

Archived