Yard access from a main line

BluenGreyAnorak

Horrors - a double reversing maneuver to get into the siding from the down and almost as bad to get back to the down. I don't think that works.

Why, other than the slope and space, can't you put in the reception loop/lay by?

Plenty of instances like this (Tho' I'm a long way from the Great Weird Railway!) It might almost be a standard for yards at small passing stations. As I said before the old railways avoided facing points like the plague. Remember that most such yards were served by only one or two pick up goods daily, and there was usually time enough between the less frequent main line trains. Much might depend on when your pointwork was laid in -- after the steam / loose coupled era the yards that were left tended to have much simplified track layouts, and facing points were increasingly seen -- that's why we had Grayrigg!

• RMweb Gold
This has the advantage of allowing trains to clear the main line quicker than the traditional layout while still only using two points. In modern installations this minimises the cost and complexity of the controlling circuitry compared to a set of single leed connections while retaining the same functionality. One such installation is located at Godstone (ironically not that far from a tunnel either, controlled from a set of switches in a lineside cabinet, released from Three Bridges power box.

Ha, that's great. Thansk for finding that :)

• RMweb Gold

Really? Not right for the area I'm modelling then but, just out of interest, what would be the purpose of that arrangement? Is it just to provide a general purpose crossover or for some specific type of operation?

It's also typical Midland Railway as well and not exactly unknown for the GWR as it happens ;) The purpose is to provide a main lines trailing crossover and doing it that way saved space (and money). Not many left like that on the WR by the late '70s tho' - especially if you are going to use colour light signals.

Would something like this be a reasonable compromise, perhaps?

post-7013-12565640828244_thumb.jpg

That arrangement appeals as I can fit it into the space I have without a major re-design of the rest of the layout.

Assuming that's essentially correct, any thoughts on my original query about operating near to the tunnel? A train arriving on the down would be all but completely inside the tunnel to clear the points.

The Refuge sidings at the top of Dainton bank were acessed by stopping at the top before the tunnel and then pulling forward into the tunnel and then reversing into the level sidings. This might take a couple of bites if it was a long train. Allgone now when Exeter power box came on line.

Cheers Phil

Archived