Use of 'runner' wagons between overhanging loads- BR practice

There has been some discussion of the use of runner wagons between wagons carrying overhanging loads. Here is an example of an actual formation; the train is 9Z21, from Etruria to Tees Yard, 20/07/1983, taken from page 87 of 'Freight-Train Formations' by David Ratcliffe.

Loco, RRB, BDW, RRX, BDW, RRX, BDW, RRA, BDW, RRA, BDW, RRA, BDW, BDW, CAO

It can be seen that the runner wagons are shared between pairs of Bolster Ds, rather than having a pair allocated to each loaded wagon. There is a photo of a pair of Bolster Ds carrying Larssen piles on page 89, with an RRA (ex Steel AB) runner between them; the load on each wagon reaches about 1/3rd of the way across the runner's deck. I have checked the 'Green Book', and that makes no mention of having a pair of runners allocated to each loaded wagon. The one point that is made very clear is that there has to be 100mm unobstructed clearance between the top of the runner floor and the bottom of the load. 

Whilst the quoted train was carrying steel sections, I have seen similarily-formed trains carrying large-pipe traffic from Hartlepool to Scotland; in these cases, the pipes were so long that former bogie Trestle wagons, with trestles removed, were used as runners.

Some of you may be struck by something else with the formation of the train above; it is only partially-fitted, as the vacuum pipe is only effective to the end of the third BDW, where the next runner is air-braked only. The air-pipe might have been used, but this would have only worked on the runners, so there would have been even less brake force. Thus the train was obliged to run as a Class 9, at a very slow speed; is it 25 mph for Class 9?

There has been some discussion of the use of runner wagons between wagons carrying overhanging loads. Here is an example of an actual formation; the train is 9Z21, from Etruria to Tees Yard, 20/07/1983, taken from page 87 of 'Freight-Train Formations' by David Ratcliffe.

Loco, RRB, BDW, RRX, BDW, RRX, BDW, RRA, BDW, RRA, BDW, RRA, BDW, BDW, CAO

It can be seen that the runner wagons are shared between pairs of Bolster Ds, rather than having a pair allocated to each loaded wagon. There is a photo of a pair of Bolster Ds carrying Larssen piles on page 89, with an RRA (ex Steel AB) runner between them; the load on each wagon reaches about 1/3rd of the way across the runner's deck. I have checked the 'Green Book', and that makes no mention of having a pair of runners allocated to each loaded wagon. The one point that is made very clear is that there has to be 100mm unobstructed clearance between the top of the runner floor and the bottom of the load. 

Whilst the quoted train was carrying steel sections, I have seen similarily-formed trains carrying large-pipe traffic from Hartlepool to Scotland; in these cases, the pipes were so long that former bogie Trestle wagons, with trestles removed, were used as runners.

Some of you may be struck by something else with the formation of the train above; it is only partially-fitted, as the vacuum pipe is only effective to the end of the third BDW, where the next runner is air-braked only. The air-pipe might have been used, but this would have only worked on the runners, so there would have been even less brake force. Thus the train was obliged to run as a Class 9, at a very slow speed; is it 25 mph for Class 9?

I doubt that they even bothered with a fitted head and just ran it unfitted!

Again why worry about the speed as that is judging the past by the present! loose coupled trains were still common in 1983!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

I suspect the 9 classification is down to speed. In the late 80s this train ran as 8X09 and had a 35mph speed restriction on it about 90/91 after tests they let it run as 6X09 with a max speed of 60 ,it still had various restrictions to do with exceptional loads such as CACROSS etc. If the load wasn't of overhanging beams the train ran as 6E09

• RMweb Gold

Not yet , possible I will at some point ,also converted OBA to runner just using the chassis ,new sides and a wooden floor, these two wagons either side of a BDA with overhanging girders

Hi there,

Yes - I've done the OBA to Runner conversion myself with a wooden floor.

Used the Cambrian OBA kit as a basis though!

I've just started trying to make a VDA type chassis to put under one of the ones you have shown.

Buy a Bachmann VDA to convert - far too tight for that!

Besides - what do you use the spare body for!

Can't have waste like that.

Thanks

Archived