• RMweb Premium

Yes, I oiled the engine, but did not use the oil from the set. I left the Triang oil bottle unopened.

Regards

Fred

I found a half-dozen original oil bottles a long time ago. I opened one, but the rest are still sitting there.

• RMweb Premium

Tri-ang Princess locomotive and Tri-ang 3F at Bordesley Station on British Railways Western Region near Birmingham Football Club.

Tri-ang made over 720,000 black Princess locomotives which is probably the largest production run of any locomotive in the United Kingdom.

Always strange that the 3F was a poor seller & was only in the catalogue for a few years.

Always strange that the 3F was a poor seller & was only in the catalogue for a few years.

What do you class as a few years Kevin?  This loco was originally produced with the first open bar and hook coupling which must put it into the 50's era before being fitted with the standard "proper" Tri-ang coupling and was still around I think in the 70's in maroon as in "The Midlander" set.  It may have been taken out during the 60's I guess.  Notice the maroon one has metal tyred tender wheels to help date it.

Photos taken from the Tri-ang website.

Garry

post-22530-0-67854800-1515581714.jpg

post-22530-0-96380700-1515581784.jpg

Edited by Golden Fleece 30
  • Like 1

How interesting, just picked up a nice 3f with mk2 couplings and a dock shunter. Triang Hornby book says mk3s were introduced in 1959 so both these must come from 1958 when they were both released. Well i guess some of us find that interesting!!!

post-6952-0-09941900-1515586431_thumb.jpg

post-6952-0-59537600-1515586452_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

What do you class as a few years Kevin?  This loco was originally produced with the first open bar and hook coupling which must put it into the 50's era before being fitted with the standard "proper" Tri-ang coupling and was still around I think in the 70's in maroon as in "The Midlander" set.  It may have been taken out during the 60's I guess.  Notice the maroon one has metal tyred tender wheels to help date it.

Garry

I have to say that maroon 3f does have flanged middle drivers so I think somone has been modifying it, 3F was introduced in 58, in 65 was factory weathered, probably a first by a manufacturer, and 66 in midland livery, lasted until at least 1968 so not a bad run for a model.

Even more interesting, apparently it was released as 43620 in BR maroon with late crest in 66/7 but never seen one like that.

Edited by TT3
  • Like 1

I have to say that maroon 3f does have flanged middle drivers so I think somone has been modifying it, 3F was introduced in 58, in 65 was factory weathered, probably a first by a manufacturer, and 66 in midland livery, lasted until at least 1968 so not a bad run for a model.

The wheels look like those on the chassis of the later Jinty, so it's probably been re-chassied or re-wheeled from one.

Edited by Coppercap

• RMweb Premium

Garry

Based on that, the other 2 LMS locos, Princess & Jinty, have been virtually ever present since the day of introduction. The LNER B12, is another example. The 3F disappeared in the early 70s, only to reappear years later, in the Thomas range.

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps an early indication that modellers preferred higher fidelity models with concealed motors and full backhead detail in the cab?

The same point could be made about all Tri-ang locos. So why the early demise of the 3F?

Super 4 track is very close to scale sleeper spacing for 4mm : 1ft. The rail is of course deeper than code 100.

I suspect that system 6 was an attempt to challenge Peco on one hand, and to achieve economies of scale by making one track for UK and European markets on the other.

There was a system 5, but 6 was one louder....

I have never heard of or seen the system 5.  There was the original Grey track that only fitted one way, called Universal for some reason soon, followed by the Standard Grey, this was followed by the open sleepered black Series 3 and then onto Super 4 in brown.  All those had the rails offset from each other, that is one rail was in line with the front of the fishplate on the other.  Everyone else (or most) all had rail ends in line so I guess that is why system 6 came out which matched the old Dublo, Peco, Lima etc.  In its initial stage it did have an end half sleeper that locked onto the next section of track but that was soon dropped.  The interlocking of sleepers, or twin prongs, did help prevent the accidental opening of the track if accidentally kicked/pulled etc which was not a bad thing for small children.

From the Tri-ang site here is the universal system.

Adapters were made to enable Standard fit to the universal as per photo.

Garry

post-22530-0-14701900-1515608784.jpg

post-22530-0-25425100-1515608964.jpg

Edited by Golden Fleece 30

Notice the maroon one has metal tyred tender wheels to help date it.

As already mention, the maroon one has been messed around with, the tender wheels should be plastic.

Even more interesting, apparently it was released as 43620 in BR maroon with late crest in 66/7 but never seen one like that.

There is doubt that it was ever produced.

The Tri-ang locomotives ran very well with their X04 motors.

Tri-ang also made some railway buildings to enhance the layouts. Rovex and later Tri-ang developed the buildings from some balsa wood models made by an artist called Joe Hunt at his cottage in Godalming.

The pictures show the engine shed, water tower, signal box and footbridge displayed at the South Dorset Modellers meeting at Winterborne Kingston Village Hall last night.

I've always liked the original Tri-ang buildings, which although far from being scale models are very, well, railway-like  and purposeful. I have a complete set stashed away in my parents' loft along along with the rest of my 'Tri-ang 1957' collection.

Perhaps an early indication that modellers preferred higher fidelity models with concealed motors and full backhead detail in the cab?

Maybe, but there was none of that available back then (unless you built it yourself or had plenty of money to pay someone else). The 3F is a far better model than the Princess in any case, even allowing for her numerous errors. She is at least roughly the right size....

How interesting, just picked up a nice 3f with mk2 couplings and a dock shunter. Triang Hornby book says mk3s were introduced in 1959 so both these must come from 1958 when they were both released. Well i guess some of us find that interesting!!!

attachicon.gifIMG20180110225854.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG20180110225729.jpg

Yes both were launched with the Mk. II coupling, in time for Xmas 1957 IIRC. I remember I wanted one as the prototypes clanked past our back garden. The Midland Railway version (in passenger livery!) appeared around 1965. I don't know when it was withdrawn, but the model is still around as 'James'. 'Thomas' removed the rather nice LBSCR E2 from the range. There's a rather horrible version going the rounds at present marked LBSC on the tanks in green for some strange reason. Now I know green is the correct colour for locomotives. but....

Edited by Il Grifone

I always thought Series 5 was intended to be the Tri-ang version of the 2 rail Dublo track, but it was decided to run the range down (It showed up their own inferior product I suppose). Of course this is my assumption and could well not be the case. In the end about the only thing to be adopted was the Dublo wheel and track standards.