The Wallows

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

My Warley report. The exhibition proved to be interesting as my fellow driver managed to break the chimney off the factory (see snapped pipe in video) and launch a 3 plank wagon several feet into the air for it to become a kit when it hit the floor. His driving skills were a little shoddy but improved by Sunday afternoon.https://youtu.be/ttOiloaqIL4 shows how not to couple up and avoid running round.

Edited by Mike
  • Like 1

Hello Mike, Just shows that a jet propelled loco can be a critical factor in the damage it can deploy.  

I've learnt that all building structures must be beneath the back-scene board height for protection and I mustn't get a touch of the Jack Douglas's when driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el5O5HIf2TU

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 1

I'm really annoyed with myself that I managed to miss The Wallows at Warley, despite wandering the hall several times during the day between bouts of operating in the "American Corner". :(

Edited by DanielB

Hello Mike, Just shows that a jet propelled loco can be a critical factor in the damage it can deploy.  

I've learnt that all building structures must be beneath the back-scene board height for protection and I mustn't get a touch of the Jack Douglas's when driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el5O5HIf2TU

Best

The chimney that was snapped was below the backscene, just that he snagged it when leaning over to show someone how the couplings were made. Bless.

• 5 weeks later...

The Wallows will be at the Leamington Show 3rd-4th March so I'll miss the Guilds Spring Show in Kettering. I have completed fitting Lincs couplings to the locos and stock all of which have their 3 links refitted so they look much better. I have also drawn up the cutting plan for new baseboards for another micro "Number 29 pit- Wallows Colliery sometimes called nine locks pit, Locks Lane Brierley Hill".  So I will start another the coming months, should be fun.;)

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

First off, great to see Andy back and on the mend. Second, I have withdrawn The Wallows from the Leamington show due to my own health issues, namely the skin infection which was gradually getting better, has now become much worse, so it's back to hospital and more treatment. PANTS!!!!!!

Hy Mike.

Bad news to hear that your skin has flared up again, not nice. 

Could it be anything to do with diet, I've had a nail infection on 3 fingers of my right hand and they have tried everything to get rid.  strict diets, solutions, tablets, injections allergy test etc.

It nearly all disappears then off it goes again, It is some sort of virus that nibbles at the nail surface, no pain just a right PITA to get rid.  

It's been on and off over the last 2 years and the dermatitis nurse has said I will never get rid,  The best I got the nails was when we were down in Cornwall last summer and the sand and seawater seemed to work wonders.

I was also very relaxed and drinking many beers.

Just to end this medical report, even though I'd had the flu jab the last 2 weeks has seen me brought to my knees with it, starting to get up again but not been in the shed for 3 weeks nearly.

Back to modelling -- yes please. .  :jester:

• Like 1

First off, great to see Andy back and on the mend. Second, I have withdrawn The Wallows from the Leamington show due to my own health issues, namely the skin infection which was gradually getting better, has now become much worse, so it's back to hospital and more treatment. PANTS!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your Skin infection Mike, I do hope they can sort it, far more important to get that sorted than doing Shows.

All the very best.

The Wallows will be at the Leamington Show 3rd-4th March so I'll miss the Guilds Spring Show in Kettering. I have completed fitting Lincs couplings to the locos and stock all of which have their 3 links refitted so they look much better. I have also drawn up the cutting plan for new baseboards for another micro "Number 29 pit- Wallows Colliery sometimes called nine locks pit, Locks Lane Brierley Hill". So I will start another the coming months, should be fun.;)

Nice name - have you made that up, as the Nine Locks is nowhere near the wallows........

Edit: Spelling!

Edited by sp1

Nice name - have you made that up, as the Nine Locks is nowhere near the wallows........

Edit: Spelling!

Not made up at all as per Black Country Society: At 9.30pm on Tuesday the 16th of March 1869, James Grainger, experienced engineer in charge of the pumping engine of the Earl of Dudley's Wallows Colliery, Brierley Hill, Number 29 pit, known as the Ninelocks Colliery

• Like 6

Not made up at all as per Black Country Society: At 9.30pm on Tuesday the 16th of March 1869, James Grainger, experienced engineer in charge of the pumping engine of the Earl of Dudley's Wallows Colliery, Brierley Hill, Number 29 pit, known as the Ninelocks Colliery,

Ah. Interesting, thank you.

What with the skin infection and now being told I have a slow heart rate with an additional catch up spike beat I really haven't done an awful lot. What I have done is start to build the headframe for the mineshaft which is wrong and needs to be rebuilt, but never mind eh.

What with the skin infection and now being told I have a slow heart rate with an additional catch up spike beat I really haven't done an awful lot. What I have done is start to build the headframe for the mineshaft which is wrong and needs to be rebuilt, but never mind eh.

I guess a SLOW Heart Rate is better than a NO Heart Rate Mike.

Hope the Skin infection and Heart Rate can be sorted with medication.

Hello Mike, sorry to hear of your sickness.  A couple of months ago I was attending hospital for my Diabetes when they said I had an irregular HB diagnosed so they wired me up for a multi trace ecg review.  

I had about 12 wire traces attached which left me quite puzzled as I felt fine.

Anyway they gave me some super meds to control/regulate my heart at that time then put me on a reduced level of the tablets for daily consumption.   Follow up checks have been ok and the consultant put my back to my local doctor.

I have a review next week with him to go over the latest result and I may end up on rat poison but as I don't have any symptoms I hope that wont happen.

I put it down to age I certainly haven't been burning the candle at both ends and feel quite fit and well.

Chin up.

Regards

Hello Mike, sorry to hear of your sickness.  A couple of months ago I was attending hospital for my Diabetes when they said I had an irregular HB diagnosed so they wired me up for a multi trace ecg review.  

I had about 12 wire traces attached which left me quite puzzled as I felt fine.

Anyway they gave me some super meds to control/regulate my heart at that time then put me on a reduced level of the tablets for daily consumption.   Follow up checks have been ok and the consultant put my back to my local doctor.

I have a review next week with him to go over the latest result and I may end up on rat poison but as I don't have any symptoms I hope that wont happen.

I put it down to age I certainly haven't been burning the candle at both ends and feel quite fit and well.

Chin up.

Regards

I too had an ecg, I think they got radio 4 on mine, they are checking me out for vertigo which I'm sure will be just as fun packed. :)

All the best Mike.

Maybe this thread should be changed to the 'Grumpy Old Men's Health Problems' Thread... from a Grumpy 50-year old currently laid up in hospital with kidney stones. :shout:

It's not those that are keeping me awake at 04:12 in the morning, though - it's Hercules The Snorer they put in one of the beds opposite, yesterday... :banghead: :mad: :rant:

All the best Mike.

Maybe this thread should be changed to the 'Grumpy Old Men's Health Problems' Thread... from a Grumpy 50-year old currently laid up in hospital with kidney stones. :shout:

It's not those that are keeping me awake at 04:12 in the morning, though - it's Hercules The Snorer they put in one of the beds opposite, yesterday... :banghead: :mad: :rant:

Oh dear, hope you soon get sorted and the champion snorer gets moved and peace reigns once more. Take care mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Hospital treatment is a bit severe but after almost a week on there are signs of improvement. Had a little play on the work bench and have sold the Wallows so I really must get on with the new micro. Here's a couple of photos of The Wallows in its new abode and the cage based on the those at the Black Country Museum, the miners are S&D castings and are as yet not primed. Just noticed the screws in the canal, I've seen a few rusty wheels etc but, never screws.

post-185-0-03700300-1518969170.jpg

post-185-0-83917400-1518969198.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Baseboard built, well almost, I still have to build the small extension for the head shunt. Started on the track work with point work and all off 2x 18" of plain track. 0/9 Narrow gauge loco under way using a Kato chassis. Baseboard has integral folding legs which lock into position and are fitted with adjustable feet.

post-185-0-49685600-1520004026.jpg

post-185-0-00696600-1520004048.jpg

post-185-0-00123400-1520004078.jpg

• Like 8