50t Warwell Wagon in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

You want Warflats to carry the FV432s (Scorpions and such)

Ian_B

True , but I've seen all sorts in warwells too.

And of course you could have a warrior on a warflat they tried back in 97. I guess one falling off during loading put them off

Did warflats and warwells ever run in mixed rakes in the later part of world war 2 and the post-war period? The 7th Armoured Division operated mixed units of Cromwells and Sherman Fireflies and I was wondering how they were moved by rail before D-Day. I haven't been able to find any photos of mixed rakes online or in my own reference books.

True , but I've seen all sorts in warwells too.

And of course you could have a warrior on a warflat they tried back in 97. I guess one falling off during loading put them off

Hi Rob

I watched the first MOD train along the Redmire branch through Bedale in 97 or 98 (can't remember which). Stationed at RAF Leeming then. 4 Warflats with warriors on with an EWS inspection saloon either end top and tailed by a Rail-freight Distribution sector class 47 one of which was 47306 The Sapper (all bulled up and lovely!!) Train went very slow, almost walking pace, as the track was very crap. No level crossing gates neither. Blokes in orange with many flags.

Typically I lost the photos when the PC went pop.

• Like 2

Did warflats and warwells ever run in mixed rakes in the later part of world war 2 and the post-war period? The 7th Armoured Division operated mixed units of Cromwells and Sherman Fireflies and I was wondering how they were moved by rail before D-Day. I haven't been able to find any photos of mixed rakes online or in my own reference books.

Nor have I...  Or to be precise, I did find a photo of  mixed rake, just not a very useful one in modelling terms. The photo below shows a a warwell coupled to a warflat postwar, used in an Army Ammunition depot. According the the website i found it on, the warflats were used to transport ammunitions.  The warflats were shunted into the ammunition shed using a warwell as a spacer to keep the steam engines out of the sheds to reduce the risk from sparks.

post-13158-0-22042800-1499454079.jpg

Warflat and warwell. And no, I don't mean the one in the background. The wagon just visible in front of the warflat is a warwell.

Source: https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/leyland-ammunition-store-23-09-08.t33114

And mixed units of Fireflies and Cromwells would probably have been transported on a rake of warwells, as a warwell could handle both types of tank.

But while searching the net, I did find a useful reference WWII postwar photo showing a mixed train with goods vans and loaded warwells:

post-13158-0-00589200-1499455513.jpg

Eminently modellable.

Source: unknown. Google directed me to a Pinterest groep wich directed me back to google... :scratchhead:

Edit; see post 363 below and here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_03_2013/post-5613-0-08416100-1364500246.jpg

Thanks to Dave F

Edited by Trains&armour
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nor have I...  Or to be precise, I did find a photo of  mixed rake, just not a very useful one in modelling terms. The photo below shows a a warwell coupled to a warflat postwar, used in an Army Ammunition depot. According the the website i found it on, the warflats were used to transport ammunitions.  The warflats were shunted into the ammunition shed using a warwell as a spacer to keep the steam engines out of the sheds to reduce the risk from sparks.

attachicon.gifwarwell-warflat.jpg

Warflat and warwell. And no, I don't mean the one in the background. The wagon just visible in front of the warflat is a warwell.

Source: https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/leyland-ammunition-store-23-09-08.t33114

And mixed units of Fireflies and Cromwells would probably have been transported on a rake of warwells, as a warwell could handle both types of tank.

That photograph was taken at Bicester and both are awaiting work at the wagon repair shops. Note the poor condition of the wooden decking of both wagons. Both types had wooden decks for ease of repair as they carried tracked vehicles.

• RMweb Gold

But while searching the net, I did find a useful reference WWII photo showing a mixed train with goods vans and loaded warwells:

attachicon.gifMixed train-warwells.jpg

Eminently modellable.

Source: unknown. Google directed me to a Pinterest groep wich directed me back to google... :scratchhead:

Excellent find Sierd, what tank is that please ?

• RMweb Gold

But while searching the net, I did find a useful reference WWII photo showing a mixed train with goods vans and loaded warwells:

attachicon.gifMixed train-warwells.jpg

Eminently modellable.

That photo is one taken by my late father and is on this forum in another thread, I am perfectly happy for it to appear here.  The photo in my thread is part way down this page: 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69274-dave-f-more-photos-added-21-june-from-1947-to-1955ish/page-5&do=findComment&comment=996568

It was actually taken at Trumpington (south of Cambridge) circa 1948.

It was not taken during WW2 as Dad didn't start taking railway photos until 1947, anyway he spent part of his WW2 in India after leaving school and joining the army..

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

Excellent find Sierd, what tank is that please ?

Tiger fodder .................... One can only have admiration for the men that went into battle in them knowing what they were up against.

Edited by Southernman46

That photo is one taken by my late father and is on this forum in another thread, I am perfectly happy for it to appear here.  The photo in my thread is part way down this page: 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69274-dave-f-more-photos-added-21-june-from-1947-to-1955ish/page-5&do=findComment&comment=996568

It was actually taken at Trumpington (south of Cambridge) circa 1948.

It was not taken during WW2 as Dad didn't start taking railway photos until 1947, anyway he spent part of his WW2 in India after leaving school and joining the army..

David

Thanks! And an even more interesting photo for not being dated in WW2. It does prove that although the British Army stopped using the Sherman after the war, they didn't disappear overnight . Great excuse to model a post war goods train with some loaded warwells mixed in. Robin (gwrrob) take note!

My new camera wagon arrived today. The old Mainline/Bachmann bogie bolster wagon was very good in all but one respect; that one exception was the couplings, which were the old Mainline-style medium fittings, not easily changeable to anything else.

The new Hattons/Bachmann Warwell has come, and I selected the type with the bolster extensions to provide a level platform for the camera. The wheels run true (like my previous wagon) and the wagon is heavy for good stability.

35790766006_5c6cdbe888_b.jpg

Hattons Warwell Camera Wagon - 1 cropped by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Like 7

Ed that looks great and exactly what I had in mind as well, albeit I'm waiting to see the modern Oxford version. Hopefully by the time that's released someone will have produced a small cradle...in fact I know a man with a 3D printer...

Thank you!

I'd certainly be interested if cradles were to be produced.

Ed - have you given any though to how you'll tackle the deck extensions?

Yes I have - more styrene sheet:

35772429632_00f3fa3572_b.jpg

Warwell deck extensions by Ed, on Flickr

Painted with Humbrol no. 30 and rail colour 407:

35554220130_e21dd6c93e_b.jpg

Warwell by Ed, on Flickr

Ed

• Like 3

Great job Ed that looks the business.

Those 1/72 scale Revell Warriors dont look too big do they?

I think 1/72 is the best we're likely to get unless Oxford take the plunge - haven't seen the Cromwell Models 1/76 version anywhere for quite some time.

I have the Trumpeter 1/72 version in the stash, I wonder if it's the same kit reboxed.

I think 1/72 is the best we're likely to get unless Oxford take the plunge - haven't seen the Cromwell Models 1/76 version anywhere for quite some time.

I have the Trumpeter 1/72 version in the stash, I wonder if it's the same kit reboxed.

Trumpeter and Revell Warriors are 2 entirely different kits. Trumpeter did sell theirs already built and painted under the Easymodel label.

Altaya (Ixio models) also did a Diecast pre made and ready painted Warrior in desert colours. However this has the additional side armour (so do some of the Trumpeter ones, but look around, there is one ready made version without).

I believe the extra side armour is removed during rail transport.

Trumpeter and Revell Warriors are 2 entirely different kits. Trumpeter did sell theirs already built and painted under the Easymodel label.

Altaya (Ixio models) also did a Diecast pre made and ready painted Warrior in desert colours. However this has the additional side armour (so do some of the Trumpeter ones, but look around, there is one ready made version without).

I believe the extra side armour is removed during rail transport.

Yes you're right. The extra side armour would put them out of gauge

Thanks for that JSpencer, saves a scalemates search later in the day. Is there any consensus on which offering is more accurate between the Revell & Trumpeter?

Edited by Ragtag